3 Posts

Strife: Shadows and Steam» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gambler, Rifle Mage and Set Aside Q's: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
davey yaved
msg tools
Hi,
Gambler: The player with the highest power sum in their hand wins 2vp and sets aside a champion. OK,does the winner claim the location too? If not, does the location stream just not move for that turn?

Rifle Mage: "You may set aside a card from your hand...all champions with a base power lower than that card may not activate their abilities this turn." Does this deactivation apply also to your own legacy cards? Does this also mean that you are required to set aside a card with power of 4 or less since to set aside a higher value (maybe not a good idea to begin with) would deactivate the rifle mage?

Finally, Setting Aside: I'm pretty sure I get this, but just thought I'd confirm since there was some discussion about this in my home. The wrinkle setting aside introduces is that you don't get to play these cards whenever you want, but have to hold them back for just end game play when you have depleted all your other champions. Is that the dynamic this rule serves to create?

Thanks very much!
Davey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hamm
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Davey. To answer your questions:

In the event of the Gambler activating its Battle Ability, the battle ends without anymore abilities being activated. The winner of the "card game" gains the 2vp and sets aside a card. The location where the battle was taking place is placed in the location discard pile without any vp being awarded for it.

The Rifle Mage may set aside a champion of any value as it may not shutdown its own ability. Once activated it cannot be prevented from activating and as such its ability only shuts off abilities that have not yet been activated.

Set aside cards may not be played. After a player plays their final champion or finishes resolving an effect that empties their hand all set aside cards are immediately returned to hand. If it was not the final battle of the round the returned champions are now available to be played in future battles.

I hope that clears up any confusion that you were having. Thank you for playing Strife and supporting us! It is truly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
Thanks Chris,
This is a really cool game. Discovering some of the possible card interactions and strategies is a fun process. You answered my questions well, but I think didn't address whether the rifle mage's deactivation power, if used, applies to one's own legacy cards too.

My question about setting aside was not about the rule itself, which was clearly explained in your booklet. Instead I was trying to think about how this rule fits into the game to create tough choices. I don't think I need any more feedback there. I do see how it fits in strategically.

Thanks again!
Davey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.