Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Now that I have gotten past the timer accept and have embraced my inner chronos-naut, I am feeling really good about this game!

One aspect feels awkward to me- the two cards used to inflict pain and suffering upon the investigators.

When an investigator picks up a Horror or Damage card, are they placed face down in a single pile, therefore the top card is picked up when it is required to be revealed, and then goes to the bottom if it is to be re-flipped? Or are they "constantly shuffled" and one is picked at random?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Now that I have gotten past the timer accept and have embraced my inner chronos-naut, I am feeling really good about this game!

One aspect feels awkward to me- the two cards used to inflict pain and suffering upon the investigators.

When an investigator picks up a Horror or Damage card, are they placed face down in a single pile, therefore the top card is picked up when it is required to be revealed, and then goes to the bottom if it is to be re-flipped? Or are they "constantly shuffled" and one is picked at random?

Thanks!

Constantly shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you have to turn a damage/horror face up, you choose a face down card at random, so shuffle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

"Constantly shuffled"... nice, simple, and straightforward.

Thank you, all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me a couple of turns in my first game to realize that there are two ways to receive damage/horror; face-down as instructed or draw the card & read it then implement the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And just for clarity as this hasn't been mentioned yet in this topic. In general, you always draw damage and horror cards FACE UP and resolve immediately, unless the instruction specifically tells you to draw the cards face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do? We were drawing face down and only flipping up when we were told too. Where does it say to draw them face up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
You do? We were drawing face down and only flipping up when we were told too. Where does it say to draw them face up?

RRG Pg 7 first bullet point under "Damage & Horror"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Wuyley wrote:

Holy cow! That is a HUGE difference!
This means I could end up with a broken leg or arm really, really soon!

I,too, was pulling them and keeping them face down.

The wording of "turn face up" caused me confusion- it implied that the cards were meant to be face down unless instructed otherwise.

Wow. This will make my next game interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion comes from the fact that MOST of the cards are "harmless" in the sense that they only count as one damage point and nothing more, then tell you to flip them face down anyway. But by generally drawing cards face up, it adds extra tension to every moment you take damage since you never know what it's going to be.

If you are instructed to draw a card face down, it adds a different kind of tension, since now you have a potentially dangerous card mixed in with your known "harmless" ones. So you dread any effect that may cause you to have to flip one or more of those cards over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
I think the confusion comes from the fact that MOST of the cards are "harmless" in the sense that they only count as one damage point and nothing more, then tell you to flip them face down anyway. But by generally drawing cards face up, it adds extra tension to every moment you take damage since you never know what it's going to be.

If you are instructed to draw a card face down, it adds a different kind of tension, since now you have a potentially dangerous card mixed in with your known "harmless" ones. So you dread any effect that may cause you to have to flip one or more of those cards over.

I find this the single most innovative aspect of 2E. It's a really ingenious device that works on many levels. Very simple and very, very clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

I find this the single most innovative aspect of 2E. It's a really ingenious device that works on many levels. Very simple and very, very clever.

Apparently it was copied from X-Wing or at least one of the SW games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Inmat4251 wrote:
And just for clarity as this hasn't been mentioned yet in this topic. In general, you always draw damage and horror cards FACE UP and resolve immediately, unless the instruction specifically tells you to draw the cards face down.

It's confusing because there's an incorrect example on page 11 of the "Learn to Play" book. What they're saying completely contradicts what's on the screen. The Deep One attacks, and it calls for two damage. Yet below this, they say Agatha, after rolling one success, would take one facedown damage. According to the Rules Reference, damage is always face up unless it says otherwise, and in this case, it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drpretorios wrote:
Inmat4251 wrote:

It's confusing because there's an incorrect example on page 11 of the "Learn to Play" book. What they're saying completely contradicts what's on the screen. The Deep One attacks, and it calls for two damage. Yet below this, they say Agatha, after rolling one success, would take one facedown damage. According to the Rules Reference, damage is always face up unless it says otherwise, and in this case, it doesn't.

Yeah I agree. However, always follow the RRG above the LtP.

RRG Pg 2 The Golden Rules first bullet point
"This Rules Reference is the definitive source of rules information. If something in this reference contradicts the Learn to Play booklet, this reference take precedence."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:

Apparently it was copied from X-Wing or at least one of the SW games.

Ah, well. Not so innovative then. Never played the SW games.

Still ingenious, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Speaking of Damage cards, if I have a broken arm card face up, and I get another card of some kind that allows me to flip a Damage card face down, does that mean I have miraculously been healed on the spot and no longer have a broken arm? Or maybe I "just thought" I had a broken arm ...

Anyway, I hope it means I can get rid of that debilitating injury...nothing worse than a broken arm while trying to save the world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Speaking of Damage cards, if I have a broken arm card face up, and I get another card of some kind that allows me to flip a Damage card face down, does that mean I have miraculously been healed on the spot and no longer have a broken arm? Or maybe I "just thought" I had a broken arm ...

Anyway, I hope it means I can get rid of that debilitating injury...nothing worse than a broken arm while trying to save the world!

Correct. Usually the type of cards that allow you to turn face-up damage cards face down are healing cards like the bandages and Vincent Lee's special action. So it's not all that "magical" after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.