Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Amazon prime] Subdivision $21.25 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Berniethered Bernhardt
msg tools
Looks to be lowest price according to Camelcamelcamel.
Just 20 left when I saw it on Amazon.
amazon
bgg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprawling on the fringes of the city...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got mine for 19.95 (total, so with tax/shipping) on Amazon, though it wasn't sold by Amazon. Great little title, I bought it blind based on a few video reviews. Glad I did, it is very nice. The only negative thing I can say is it's a little bit of a pain to sort when you first punch it and it's a very small amount of pain to play with less than 4 players (remove x amount of each tile from the game isn't hard, just annoying). The funny thing my biggest complain is just that it should have been 5 player. Super easy going drafting game. Probably a hair too abstract for complete non-gamers, but if you are playing with someone who like puzzles they'd do fine. I only had one player (who was a board gamer, which surprised me) who had a really hard time getting the game to click, but they got it by the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting Rush lyrics on any thread related to Subdivision is a guaranteed way to harvest some thumbs and GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It's been $20 a few times and is absolutely worth it. It quickly became one of our standard family and two-player games. Somewhere I wrote a mini-review in another deal thread.

*edit* Found it:
[Amazon 3rd Parties] Subdivision (not Suburbia!) $19.95 - Prime

me wrote:
I've become an evangelist for this game. Last time it was on sale, here's what I had to say about Subdivision:

I wrote:
me wrote:

Before I make any claims of greatness, you should know that Don Quixote is one of my favorite games and was key to introducing my partner to hobby games. The idea of two people working on a similar-but-not-quite-the-same puzzle is very appealing to me, and my partner dislikes direct conflict in games. While it was easy for people to dismiss Don Quixote as "map bingo", we found that clear strategies emerged and one player could definitely win more than another.

We don't have nearly as many plays of Subdivision, but with four games down it feels like Super Quixote. The road-building is gone (which is sad), but in its place you get: a tile draft that works better each time we play, five unique but interdependent tile types, a clever zone activation method that makes every decision agonizing, and a scoring method that is entertaining to complete because it takes some time but is exciting to see what worked and what didn't. Seems like it would work equally well at any player count too.

I've only tried Suburbia once and didn't love it (although I was distracted and always meant to give it another shot) so I didn't really have any strong expectations of Subdivision. But yeah... At least for me it's that good, to the point that I woke up thinking about it. Patchwork was the last game that hit our house this way so you can probably tell that we like putting tiles on boards to fill in the blanks.

Since then I've probably played 30 more games, most two-player with a handful of solo plays and one with three players. The game continues to grow on me, especially now that we got plastic storage containers for all the tiles (the box is sorely lacking an insert). The game offers a lot of variety and is very tense - you can't ever quite do everything you want to between having to be tactical in response to the die and the limited number of turns and spaces. Die rolls can be mitigated by paying $2, so you can effectively rule out the main random element. The tile drafting didn't seem to matter at first but now that we're both very well-versed in the game it adds just the right level of interaction without being directly nasty. I wouldn't say we've gotten bored with the base game at all, but as the puzzle became familiar we got excited to try the many variants listed on the back of the rulebook. Of the two we've tried (twice each), they do a great job of dramatically changing the strategy without changing any of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.