Subject: Worker Placement for 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking for another worker placement game for the wife and myself. My wife has a tendency to enjoy these types of games a little bit more then some of the other games we have, with the exception of the Pathfinder ACG.

I have Caverna, and she enjoys the game very much. However, I pulled out Nations to give it a try with her and she didn't enjoy it as much. It reminded her to much of Progress, for some reason. I'm thinking the theme, maybe. I also own Manhattan Project, which she enjoy, but again she's not a big fan of the theme.

She seemed to take a look at Agricola, but with Caverna, would it be a good option, or maybe should I wait for "A Feast for Odin"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael K.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Hoe, hoe, hee, hee!!? Zo werkt dat niet!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe 'The wife' will like Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small.

It plays very smootly and has a lot of theme and flavour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something like Targi?

It's lighter but it's nice to have some variety in game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
What about something like Targi?

It's lighter but it's nice to have some variety in game length.

Length really hasn't been an issue. Most of the time we play after we put our 2 year old to sleep. Once she is out, she is out for the count. I'll see if I can find it at the local shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't see how you can beat the classic in the genre, Caylus. Hard to play well and rewards repeated play. Nasty, which will make it a great choice for some and less great for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Loodlood wrote:

What's the difference between it and the father? I know that she saw the new release of Agricola and mention she had some interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
I can't see how you can beat the classic in the genre, Caylus. Hard to play well and rewards repeated play. Nasty, which will make it a great choice for some and less great for others.

We have Lords of Waterdeep, and she does enjoy stabbing me in the back to win. I've thought about Caylus a few times. I'll show it to her and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vryllyn wrote:
Loodlood wrote:

What's the difference between it and the father? I know that she saw the new release of Agricola and mention she had some interest in it.

All Creatures Big and Small is a smaller packaged, streamlined version of Agricola, focusing on the land utilization and animal husbandry of Agricola, without the farming and family building. We can usually get a game done in about 30-40 minutes. My wife prefers ACB&S to regular Agricola.

Also, Fields of Arle is another Uwe Rosenberg worker placement, only for 2-players, but is much heavier than ACB&S, and requires a ton of table space. But it is really good.

My wife and I play a few worker placements, simultaneous action selections, and hybrids of the two. Our most common to get to the table for just the two of us are Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Fresco, and Trickerion: Legends of Illusion. The first is 2-player only, the other 2 are 2-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
All Creatures is OOP at the moment, so that might not be a great option currently. Definitely check out Caylus if you are into a mean heavy game.

The one that my wife and I really love that hasn't been mentioned yet is Dungeon Petz. It's a beast to teach and learn, but that's my only real complaint with it. The turn order blind bidding is a really cool mechanic that always provides an interesting puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just buy Agricola. It's very much WP, truly a great game, with lots of replayability and plays very different than Caverna. It also can be very back-stabby at 2p, if that's what you want. If A:ACBAS wasn't OOP, I'd suggest that too, though it's a much lighter game. Personally, I'm excited about Feast for Odin, but it looks like it will be a heavy, expensive game, and it's always a risk buying a game like that before the first adopters have had a chance to weigh in on whether it is worth the expense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi is a two player only worker placement game. We really like it.

Viticulture Essential Edition is one of my girlfriend's favourite games period. I have played it as a 2 player game 99% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo the recommendation for Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small for a quick, but meaty worker placement game, and the recommendation for Fields of Arle for one on the more complex side. After playing Fields of Arle, my wife declared that she probably won't play Agricola (full game) ever again, as FoA was so much better.

One more recommendation is Viticulture Essential Edition. We received that one as a gift, and it quickly became a favorite worker placement game. And we don't even drink! Really good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futiles wrote:
Vryllyn wrote:
Loodlood wrote:

All Creatures Big and Small is a smaller packaged, streamlined version of Agricola, focusing on the land utilization and animal husbandry of Agricola, without the farming and family building. We can usually get a game done in about 30-40 minutes. My wife prefers ACB&S to regular Agricola.

My wife and I both prefer ACB&S to regular Agricola. It's one of the best two-player games we've played in the last 15 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chrisco
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with earlier posters that ACBAS is a fantastic game - the only downside is it's relatively expensive to get (though I would definitely say it's worth it).

To branch off a little bit - I would suggest Glass Road. It's not exactly a worker placement, but it shares a lot of the basic mechanics (action selection and limited resource contention) - you each have an identical set of cards to choose from, and you are rewarded for correctly anticipating which cards your opponent will use in the pursuit of purchasing from a shared pool of buildings to earn victory points. It is a terrific game, offering under an hour playtime and a ton of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
I echo the recommendation for Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small for a quick, but meaty worker placement game, and the recommendation for Fields of Arle for one on the more complex side. After playing Fields of Arle, my wife declared that she probably won't play Agricola (full game) ever again, as FoA was so much better.

One more recommendation is Viticulture Essential Edition. We received that one as a gift, and it quickly became a favorite worker placement game. And we don't even drink! Really good game.

I've been looking at Fields of Arle, and I showed it to her, but I'll check to see if it's at the FLGS. I know it was out at CSI. I haven't seen if Viticulture was there. I did see the upgrade to make the original one to the Essential Edition.

Thanks you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Fields of Arle

Also you might want to check out Nantucket which is a neat new sort of micro wp game with a unique theme. It has a big cousin in New Bedford wich can be played 2p, but you can also add up to 4 smart AI dummy players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ownerofthescythe wrote:
I agree with earlier posters that ACBAS is a fantastic game - the only downside is it's relatively expensive to get (though I would definitely say it's worth it).

I do wonder if it is about to change hands like Agricola did. I cannot imagine it staying out of print very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Targi is a two player only worker placement game. We really like it.

Viticulture Essential Edition is one of my girlfriend's favourite games period. I have played it as a 2 player game 99% of the time.

Seconded on both fronts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Duplaisir
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 AACBAS
+1 Targi
+1 Fields of Arle

I would also recommend Holmes: Sherlock & Mycroft

Holmes is a quick 20 minute WP game that is fun. While the theme is not truly there, I enjoy the game quite a bit. Meeple Source and BGG Store is selling them if they still have any left. $25 I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.