Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to place an order, possibly tonight to take advantage of a daily sale. I have pandemic, flashpoint, Hanabi, Robinson Crusoe, dead of winter, Sherlock Holmes, marvel legendary, and Mysterium.

I'm happy with all of these games and have no interest in getting rid of any. I've been looking at freedom: Underground Railroad, sorry if that's not the exact name but I can't see it right now, and wanted to know if it is too similar to what I already have or is it different enough.

The theme doesn't bother me at all, so no need to discuss that aspect. I'm only interested in the differences in gameplay.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some similarities in gameplay but all those games have a little overlap.

I really enjoy it and feel it would make a nice addition to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric, can you elaborate on what game it is most similar to. Does it follow the pandemic and flashpoint style with a number of action points and trying to keep things under control. Or is it more similar to dead of winter and Robinson Crusoe where you have to complete goals or deal with the consequences.

Any feedback is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: The Underground Railroad is a great game.

The primary objective of the game is to move slaves to freedom from southern plantations to Canada. There are slavecatchers who move about the board recapturing slaves if they end in the same space as them.

In addition to freeing the slaves, you also need to generate support (money) for the abolitionist movement.

To win the game, you need to:
1) Help enough slaves escape to Canada
2) Purchase enough support for the movement
3) Win in 8 rounds or less.

Everyone gets a role, ala Pandemic, but beyond that (and it being a coop) there isn't too many similarities.

It's really great. I think it'd find a good place in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more similar to Pandemic and flashpoint. Only so many actions you can do a turn and never enough time. It's a tough balance. Great game. Historical details is wonderful. Theme is incorporated very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
camidon wrote:
It's more similar to Pandemic and flashpoint. Only so many actions you can do a turn and never enough time. It's a tough balance. Great game. Historical details is wonderful. Theme is incorporated very well.

Sorry I was away, CM answered very well though. It has that constant pressure and limited actions and time that pandemic has but the approach is a little different in that you are moving the cubes to avoid the slave catchers. Really a great game. My wife likes it way more than Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.