Subject: Some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Capor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools

Hey all,

Between a demo at Gencon years ago and reading the rulebook… we ran into some problems. So, either the rulebook is terribly written or we’re terrible at reading it. I’m here to find out which. Hahaha.

As far as we could tell, none of below was spelled out.

1. How do you play/use a resource card from your hand? In terms of, when does it actually enter the discard pile?

Our Guess: It goes there right away or like other deckbuilders doesn’t do so until the end of the phase/turn. (actually our original guess was that they went to the discard pile right away… but when that happened I instantly won the game with Rigger, a basically empty deck, couple cards for resources, and a Strange Tincture so I assumed we were doing it wrong).

2. What happens when you run out of the cards to draw outside of the draw phase?

Our Guess: You shuffle the discard pile back in and continue drawing.

3. Had an encounter with Roc on the Hunt… what the hell happens? Player A reveals, but Player B has to encounter it out of turn. Does player B get a draw phase? Does their temporary stuff remain until the end of their real turn? What happens to the rest of Player’s A turn? Does player A get a new encounter card or even a draw phase? Who gets the defeat token or who suffers the penalty?

Our Guess: Player A gets no encounter and their turn is basically skipped as they enter the draw phase while Player B suffers or benefits from the result of the encounter, but doesn’t get a draw phase and temporary tokens remain.

4. Competitive play – When can the out of turn players play cards? In what order do player’s play cards to disrupt?

Our Guess : Anyone wishing to mess with the difficulty with any non-reactionary effect must do so after any Upon Encountering effects, but before the active player starts taking actions. Other guess is that it’s more reflexive and you can kinda hold your disrupt stuff till the last possible moment forcing them to waste stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Darlage
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MagnusArcanis wrote:

1. How do you play/use a resource card from your hand? In terms of, when does it actually enter the discard pile?

At any time, really, that you use either the text or the resources on the card. If you play the Supplies card to draw a wanted card, it is played and is discarded, or if you use the same card for a virtual gold, heroism, and skull-duggery, it is discarded.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
Our Guess: It goes there right away or like other deckbuilders doesn’t do so until the end of the phase/turn. (actually our original guess was that they went to the discard pile right away… but when that happened I instantly won the game with Rigger, a basically empty deck, couple cards for resources, and a Strange Tincture so I assumed we were doing it wrong).

Not sure how you could insta-win with that. You still have to fight the monsters and make it through to the final card.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
2. What happens when you run out of the cards to draw outside of the draw phase?

Our Guess: You shuffle the discard pile back in and continue drawing.

Yes.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
3. Had an encounter with Roc on the Hunt… what the hell happens? Player A reveals, but Player B has to encounter it out of turn. Does player B get a draw phase? Does their temporary stuff remain until the end of their real turn? What happens to the rest of Player’s A turn? Does player A get a new encounter card or even a draw phase? Who gets the defeat token or who suffers the penalty?

No draw phase - they have to use what they have in their hand currently (which could screw them over later when their turn comes back around) or must exhaust crew as normal. B gets the encounter token, but A can still push their luck and draw a second encounter after B takes care of the Roc.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
4. Competitive play – When can the out of turn players play cards? In what order do player’s play cards to disrupt?

Our Guess : Anyone wishing to mess with the difficulty with any non-reactionary effect must do so after any Upon Encountering effects, but before the active player starts taking actions. Other guess is that it’s more reflexive and you can kinda hold your disrupt stuff till the last possible moment forcing them to waste stuff.

Pretty much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MagnusArcanis wrote:

Between a demo at Gencon years ago and reading the rulebook… we ran into some problems. So, either the rulebook is terribly written or we’re terrible at reading it. I’m here to find out which.

If only the designer ever logged in to BGG to talk about her game and answer questions. Sadly, she is too busy avoiding the people who gave her money three years ago who still have no game, and have no idea when their game will arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Capor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools

First off, thanks for the answers! In all honestly, I hope your wrong about a few of them though. As I mentioned about the instant win, follow the below to gain infinite tokens & temp tokens which should allow you to venture forth indefinitely across an infinite number of locations to win in a single turn.

EDIT: Updating post to fix error noted below and make other clarifications)
*Note, this is not necessarily the fastest or even the most efficient way to pull off the combo. I’m attempting to display what I imagine will the most common way to achieve the win.

Game starts you out with 15 cards and allows you to remove 1 per turn from your hand. Assuming that standard start, 5 in hand, and 10 in deck.

Turn 1, dig for 6 crew members. You’re looking for Riggers and anything that lets you ready an exhausted crew member or draw more cards. Pitch a mark of credit for the draw phase.

Turn 2. You now have 14 total cards in your deck. Again, dig for 6 crew members, looking for Rigger and anything that lets you ready an exhausted crew member or draw more cards. Pitch a mark of credit.

Turn 3. You now have 13 total cards in your deck. Ideally, you have what you need so you can venture forth, if not, keep digging for required crew mates. However, for sake of space let’s assume you found what you needed and are able to venture forth.

Provided that nothing completely disrupted your hand/Rigger/ready effect) you should have. 5 cards in hand (including a tincture), 8 in deck/discard pile. At the earliest opportunity begin the following:

1. Exhaust Rigger to draw 3. = 8 cards in hand, 5 in deck/discard.
2. Strange Tincture (since we’re on turn 3, you are guaranteed to have drawn this by now) to ready Rigger – 7 cards in hand, 6 in deck/discard.
3. Exhaust Riggers to draw 3 = 10 cards in hand. 3 in deck.
4. Use any effect (ie. Doctor) to ready the Rigger or have some other way to draw the remaining 3 cards in your deck. You don’t need this step if you’re willing to wait 3 turns of pitching cards to reduce your deck size.
5. Exhaust Rigger to draw 3 cards = 13 cards in hand. 0 in deck. This puts strange tincture back into your hand.
6. Strange Tincture to ready Rigger, play any other 2 resource cards (can be for tokens or temp tokens). 10 cards in hand. 3 in discard.
7. Exhaust Rigger to draw 3 (getting Tincture and whatever other 2 resources you just played back into your hand). 13 in hand. 0 in deck
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you have max temp tokens and infinite tokens of each type (game starts you with 1 token generating card of each type of resource)

Since you have max 20 of each type, and an infinite number of tokens of each type, and the ability to restart the combo (step 6 and 7) to generate more if you need to. You should be able to push your luck continuously handling every encounter with ease.

Granted, I have yet to experience the vast majority of what this game has to offer, so perhaps there are a bunch encounters are geared to fight this strategy, but otherwise it appears to be completely unbeatable and far superior to any other way of playing the game.

This combo was discovered in our very first game. Which is why we assuming we were over-looked some of the rules that SHOULD be in place to stop things like this.

The ‘fix’ we used was to have this game work like most other deckbuilders that we were familiar with and have the cards you “play” (be it for effect or for temp tokens), remain ‘in play’ until the end of the phase at which point they enter they discard pile. This still lets you do some crazy things, but they’re far less egregious that what’s outlined above. Though, there could be better fixes

Game has a cool theme and some fantastic elements, but seems to be missing some of basic structure required to enjoy them. Especially in competitive mode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Darlage
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MagnusArcanis wrote:

Turn 1, dig for 6 crew members. You’re looking for Riggers and anything that lets you ready an exhausted crew member or draw more cards. Pitch a mark of credit for the draw phase.

It doesn't work this way. You draw six cards, a mix of crew and supplies. You can only purchase three. You can't dig for what you want. Once you place your crew, they are locked in. You also have to pay for the crew - and being able to buy all six in one turn is impossible... because you can only purchase three.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
Turn 2. You now have 14 total cards in your deck. Again, dig for 6 crew members, looking for Rigger and anything that lets you ready an exhausted crew member or draw more cards. Pitch a mark of credit.

Again, it doesn't work that way. You can only draw six cards - you absolutely don't get to search the deck for whatever you want.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
Turn 3. You now have 13 total cards in your deck. Ideally, you have what you need, if not, keep digging for crew mates, don’t feel the pressure to venture forth as we’re planning on winning in one shot anyway. However, for the sake of space, let’s assume we got we what we needed.

5 cards in hand, 8 in deck/discard pile. Goal is to get all cards in hand.

You are not allowed to reshuffle the deck while in Port. You cannot draw from the discard pile in port. Period.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
1. Exhaust Rigger to draw 3. = 8 cards in hand, 5 in deck/discard.

I thought the rigger only allowed a draw 2. I'll have to pull out my copy of the game.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
2. Strange Tincture (since we’re on turn 3, you are guaranteed to have drawn this by now) to ready Rigger = 7 cards in hand, 6 in deck/discard.
3. Exhaust Riggers to draw 3 = 10 cards in hand. 3 in deck.

Again, you cannot draw from the discard pile in Port. It isn't a deck/discard while in Port.

MagnusArcanis wrote:
4. Use any effect (ie. Doctor) to ready the Rigger or have some other way to draw the remaining 3 cards in your deck. You don’t need this step if you’re willing to wait 3 turns of pitching cards to reduce your deck size.
5. Exhaust Rigger to draw 3 cards = 13 cards in hand. 0 in deck. This puts strange tincture back into your hand.

No, because this requires reshuffling the discard pile into a draw pile, which cannot be done in Port. You won't be able to redraw the discard pile until you are in another territory. Read the text of the Port card. You cannot reshuffle the discard pile into the draw pile while in Port.

Your method might work AFTER you've ventured out, but not while in Port. And any virtual resources gained are lost after each encounter, and at the end of a Rest phase.

If this does work, I'd suggest removing the Rigger from play, but after 32 plays, I've not seen anything like this. Another fix is to not allow the discard pile to be reshuffled until the Draw Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Capor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools

Ah, my apologies. You’re correct, I did miss a note in that on turn 3 (or whenever you’re ready), you need venture forth so you CAN shuffle discard pile into the deck.

To clarify, when I say "dig," I mean, select to see 6 crew members (technically you can choose to see some resource cards, but the odds of finding a readying effect is far lower) from the market to maximize the chances of seeing/buying what is needed. You’re not forced to buy anything, so… pretty much only buy what you need. All you’re looking for is a rigger and a readier, anything else you buy is up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.