$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Axis & Allies» Forums » General

Subject: Revised vs. 1942 Second Edition? Do tournament players prefer Revised? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've searched for threads on this comparison and found some comments but they mostly seem to be from when 1942 was pretty new (and maybe pertaining to 1942 1st vs 2nd Edition).

Now that it's been around for a while, for those who have played both, how do you feel about Revised vs 1942 second edition?

Having a renewed interest in this childhood favorite, I wondered by the A&A tournament at WBC this year and it looked like everyone was playing Revised. Any thoughts on why? Is it the preferred version or is it more likely simply because it's the one more folks own?

I like the look of the map board better in 1942 Second Edition but I'm more interested in fun and balanced gameplay if there is one that is stronger in that department.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Revised, but I've been part of quite a few games of the original (MB) and played a about a dozen rounds of both MB and '42 Second Edition (42SE) on TripleA and a couple solo games of 42SE. All of that to say that while I still enjoy MB, I think that 42SE is a better go at the game. I like how 42SE looks, I like how it plays, and I think that the places where the rules diverge (such as the difference in how Strategic Bombing or how AAA fire is handled), I like the 42SE version better.

So, I can't answer your question, but I can provide the above perspective to someone returning to the A&A fold after some time away.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply! It is definitely a useful perspective since I played the MB version many times as a teen. Playing again recently for the first time in many years is what got me interested in the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
KlydeFrog wrote:
Thanks for the reply! It is definitely a useful perspective since I played the MB version many times as a teen. Playing again recently for the first time in many years is what got me interested in the game again.

Mate I think revised is the version of choice due to the win conditions and time regulations for the WBC tournament. We play revised in our friendship group using the WBC tournament rules and have not looked back since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Sandal wrote:
KlydeFrog wrote:

Mate I think revised is the version of choice due to the win conditions and time regulations for the WBC tournament. We play revised in our friendship group using the WBC tournament rules and have not looked back since.

Really good point. I definitely like this suggestion. That said, I noticed the WBC page says players can use 1942 if they want but it doesn't seem to have any special rules for using that version. I wonder if the same Victory Territory rules are applied to 1942? I might do some digging on that but I'm leaning towards Revised at this point.

Anyhow, a game finishing in a predictable (and ideally shorter) time frame is definitely a plus! How long does it take you guys to play? Or if you just end after the set time (5hrs I think at WBC?), does it usually feel like it's enough to establish a satisfying result with a definite victor?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
KlydeFrog wrote:
Roman Sandal wrote:
KlydeFrog wrote:

Really good point. I definitely like this suggestion. That said, I noticed the WBC page says players can use 1942 if they want but it doesn't seem to have any special rules for using that version. I wonder if the same Victory Territory rules are applied to 1942? I might do some digging on that but I'm leaning towards Revised at this point.

Anyhow, a game finishing in a predictable (and ideally shorter) time frame is definitely a plus! How long does it take you guys to play? Or if you just end after the set time (5hrs I think at WBC?), does it usually feel like it's enough to establish a satisfying result with a definite victor?

Thanks!

Hey mate for our play group there has always been a definite winner, we are not experts like the guys at WBC but keep in mind everyone knows the Victory Conditions going in and plays to that. You should be able to complete 6 rounds in the time frame and a lot can happen across the board in that time. Victory Territories (VTs) in the Pacific really open up the game. You could always use the VT victory conditions and remove the time limit ie. You play until someone controls 17/18 VTs or what ever you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thoma Mattox

Indiana
msg tools
All I can attest to are Origins and GenCon tournaments. Both of those have 1942 2nd Ed, Anniversary, Global, and Classic tournaments. Nothing about Revised.

That said, I prefer to play Revised. I think it starts off a lot more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in a partial play of revised (didn't have enough time but decided to play anyways) and it was fun. The dark and cramped board was a bit of a downer but otherwise I liked it. That said, it did not quell the curiosity about 1942 2nd Edition and I eventually broke down and got it too. Haven't gotten it to the table yet but now I can just try it too ... I suspect I may end up just keeping and playing both occasionally (with the even more occasional classic game).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
KlydeFrog wrote:
I got in a partial play of revised (didn't have enough time but decided to play anyways) and it was fun. The dark and cramped board was a bit of a downer but otherwise I liked it. That said, it did not quell the curiosity about 1942 2nd Edition and I eventually broke down and got it too. Haven't gotten it to the table yet but now I can just try it too ... I suspect I may end up just keeping and playing both occasionally (with the even more occasional classic game).

Thanks!

Now that you have revised mate, as I stated earlier, I really recommend using the WBC tournament rules. Changed the game so much for the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Sandal wrote:
KlydeFrog wrote:

Thanks!

Now that you have revised mate, as I stated earlier, I really recommend using the WBC tournament rules. Changed the game so much for the better.

Absolutely, that's what we did and I definitely liked it. I've got the WBC rules printed up and in the box ready for next time too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thoma Mattox

Indiana
msg tools
Do you happen to have the WBC rules handy? Curious how it changes the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twmattox wrote:
Do you happen to have the WBC rules handy? Curious how it changes the game...

They are here: http://www.boardgamers.org/previews16/a&a.html.

WBC A&A rules wrote:

Tournament Rules:
For games using the Revised Edition, the rule set that will be used for this tournament is the Larry Harris Tournament Rules (v 2.0). No Appendix 3: Optional Rules (National Advantages) will be used. Larry Harris Tournament Rules (LHTR) can be downloaded at http://www.axisandallies.org/LHTR.
For games using the A&A 1942 Edition, the Out-of-the-Box (OotB) rules are to be used.
There are enough differences between the two rule sets that one must be familiar with said differences before choosing to play the A&A 1942 Edition. The onus is upon the individual participant to understand this and all players will be warned ahead of time to this effect.

Adjudication System:
The determination of who wins a game will be based upon the control of Victory Territories (VTs). The Victory City method of determining a winner will NOT be used. Each side controls 12 Victory Territories at the beginning of the game. The Victory Territories are listed below.

AXIS POWERS
GERMANY
Germany
Western Europe
Southern Europe
Eastern Europe
Ukraine SSR
Norway
JAPAN
Japan
Manchuria
French Indochina
Philippine Islands
East Indies
Borneo

ALLIED POWERS
USSR
Russia
Caucasus
Archangel
Novosibirsk
UK
United Kingdom
India
Anglo-Egypt
Australia
USA
Eastern US
Western US
Hawaiian Islands
Sinkiang

If a player holds 18 (or more) VTs for a full round of game play (from the end of a country's turn to the beginning of that same country's next turn.), then that player automatically wins.
In the event of a VT tie at the end of the game, whichever side increased its IPC total is the winner. If the game is still tied after reviewing the IPC totals, then the GM will make a determination of the winner based upon the game situation at the time the game ended.
If a player chooses to concede before the game has reached the 18 VT automatic win threshold or the game time limit (4.5 hrs), a default score of 19 VTs and +30 IPCs will be awarded to the winner.

Bidding for Sides:
If the players cannot agree upon which side they will play, then they will bid to play the preferred side.
Players roll one die and the higher roll starts the bidding. The player who won the roll (Player #1) starts with an IPC amount that he is willing to give to the other player for the privilege to play the desired side. The other player (Player #2) then decides if the bid is an acceptable amount to receive for playing the undesired side. Player #2 can either accept the amount bid by Player #1 or Player #2 can counter with an IPC amount higher than that of Player #1. Bidding continues until one player decides to accept the amount of IPCs offered by the other player.

Example:
Player #1 rolls a 5, Player #2 rolls a 3. Player #1 starts the bidding (The player who wins the privilege to start the bidding can choose to defer the first bid to the other player.) Player #1 puts forth a bid of Allies (+4). What this means is that Player #1 wants to play the Axis and is willing to give Player #2 four IPCs to play the Allies. Player #2 must either accept the bid amount to play the Allies or counter with a bid greater than the one offered by Player #1.
Player #2 decides to counter with a bid of Allies (+5). Now it is up to Player #1 to decide if he will accept five IPCs to be the Allies or counter with a higher bid. Player #1 changes his mind about wanting to play the Axis and decides to accept the offer of five IPCs to play the Allies.

The player who accepts the offered IPCs receives that amount from the bank. These IPCs can be split among the countries of the accepted side in any manner that the player chooses. The IPCs can be used to purchases units that are immediately placed upon the board and/or the IPCs can be saved for use during that country's turn later in the game. Units can only be placed into territories or sea zones that that country controls. A controlled sea zone is one that has units of that country in it. There is no limit to the amount of units that can be added to one territory or sea zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
Would love to see some session reports from games using the WBC rules. I will be posting one shortly from a game I played recently. We also take photos after each round for future reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Sandal
Australia
flag msg tools
He guys, my session report is up, in forums under sessions. I hope you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.