Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Digital content for retail purchaser? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I have just bought this game at my FLGS, along with the first two expansions and the adventurers companion... New nothing about this game before today, and it all looks so awesome!

I saw on the mantic website that they are selling digital content, including new adventure packs and a journal of some kind... Do we know what physical content we need to play them, or do you have to be a kickstarter backer and have exclusive content to have all of what we need to run the new guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
That depends on what content you are referring to. There are two mission packs available and the Dungeon Journal:

Unholy Crusades needs the Core Game and Infernal Crypts at minimum to play. You would still have to proxy one large villian that they use a model from Return of Valandor for and One hero who comes from the unreleased Tyrant expansion (might need to hunt down his hero card to print out). It is often hard to tell exactly where the map tiles come from without building the maps assuming your tiles are not all mixed together.

Green Menace is mainly just Warlord expansion with 1 core game hero model and one Infernal crypt hero. I did notice what looks like tyrant tiles being used though.

Dungeon Journal contains a few mission for kickstarter exclusive heroes but they can be proxied well enough as many of the heroes in those missions are unique and not included in retail or kickstarter packages currently. Some are based on KOW models and others just assume you will proxy. It is about half stuff from the Dwarf Kings Hold Series also which is more of an underground skirmish game with generally 2-10 of two types of models for each side.

It is all painfully complicated. I would stick to working with what you have now before spending money on the digital stuff. It is pretty new and not many people have played them yet.

That is not very helpful. The only really kickstarter exclusive things that influence game play are like 4 Hero minis who can all be proxied. If you get all the expansions Return of Valandor, Warlord of Galatir, Infernal Crypts, and Tyrant of Halpi(releasing next month) you would essential what everyone could have. There is another tile set, Black Fortress which is supposed to have missions but no one has seen those missions yet to know what they really need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! I have infernal crypts and return of valendar already, buying the other one as soon as I can budget it. Didn't know about the other exansion coming, good news!
I have no issues with proxies so I'll probably buy the digital stuff at some point.
The game looks to be exactly the dungeon crawl I was looking for, the only sticking point was to me the lack of scenarios, but with all these expansion s and all these extra digital ones, it seems mantic has it covered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eriochrome wrote:
It is all painfully complicated.

But isn't that Mantic's mission statement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! I have infernal crypts and return of valendar already, buying the other one as soon as I can budget it. Didn't know about the other exansion coming, good news!
I have no issues with proxies so I'll probably buy the digital stuff at some point.
The game looks to be exactly the dungeon crawl I was looking for, the only sticking point was to me the lack of scenarios, but with all these expansion s and all these extra digital ones, it seems mantic has it covered!

It is an interesting game. Not a traditional dungeon crawl as many of the missions are about getting through in a fixed time limit and not actually defeating the enemies. The Warlord expansion has a more traditional dungeon crawl style though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john doe
Scotland
flag msg tools
Quote:
So, I have just bought this game at my FLGS, along with the first two expansions and the adventurers companion... New nothing about this game before today, and it all looks so awesome!

I saw on the mantic website that they are selling digital content, including new adventure packs and a journal of some kind... Do we know what physical content we need to play them, or do you have to be a kickstarter backer and have exclusive content to have all of what we need to run the new guess?

I've played through Unholy Crusades. It's a good fun adventure with a nice story, especially if you enjoy the Infernal Crypts, but you've probably got enough to be playing with, so probably doesn't need you to rush out to buy. You'll have everything you'll need for that with what you've got except for a Paladin (although his stats are in the Adventurers Companion and downloadable somewhere on the kickstarter page).

I think at some point I'd like to get some other minis to represent certain characters like the acolyte and priest rather than proxy them with current dungeon saga minis like it advises you, just because i think it'll add more character to future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuba Angelos
Jamaica
Washington
flag msg tools
You may be able to use exchange rates to get a better price on the "seasons pass" (geez) which includes digital everything (pdfs mostly) of everything that was released in print including the unholy crusades and green menace that was mentioned previously. I'm not sure when or if will come out in print. There is also another expansion "coming soon" called the Rise of the Shadow King.

Is the content worth it?

Yes, if its a game that you'd consider to read and play, but the minis and pieces are definitely part of the game's selling points, so if you already have the game you're not really getting much more content since every expansion comes with the book and cards. It's more like paying someone to scan all the materials more than a huge value.

Again that is if they ever release the UC, GM, and Rise of the Shadow King in physical form. If not, then those 3 would be 9.99$US each on their digital store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
AngPSN wrote:
You may be able to use exchange rates to get a better price on the "seasons pass" (geez) which includes digital everything (pdfs mostly) of everything that was released in print including the unholy crusades and green menace that was mentioned previously. I'm not sure when or if will come out in print. There is also another expansion "coming soon" called the Rise of the Shadow King.

Is the content worth it?

Yes, if its a game that you'd consider to read and play, but the minis and pieces are definitely part of the game's selling points, so if you already have the game you're not really getting much more content since every expansion comes with the book and cards. It's more like paying someone to scan all the materials more than a huge value.

Again that is if they ever release the UC, GM, and Rise of the Shadow King in physical form. If not, then those 3 would be 9.99$US each on their digital store.

Rise of the Shadow King is an Adventure Book (sort of like a classic choose your own adventure book). It is not a mission pack. There is a third mission pack coming called "The Black Fortress" but it is not listed yet. It goes along with a tile set that was sold during the kickstarter that had bad supply issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuba Angelos
Jamaica
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks Brad!

Do you work for them? Those specifics were not made clear on anything I saw in my library. I love CYOAs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.