$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Forgotten War – Korean War of 1950-1953» Forums » General

Subject: Criptic messages...help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Italy
Milano
Padania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello all, i read the post about what is needed to play this one...but i visited MMP main site to look better and as the description here on the geek and from what i understand it will contain all nationalities described and extend the old ones

( i assume usa, maybe japan and uk ) AND:

FORGOTTEN WAR is not a complete game. Ownership of the Advanced Squad Leader Game System is required for play.

What this mean?? I have just to own the rulebook? or do i need something else? why they cant be clear to NOObs of the system like me?

Honestly i would likely purchase their expensive rulebook and the korea module, but if i have to get other not so cheap modules like yanks just to play korea it will hurt...i hope someone help...i'm lost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Odds are you will have to buy beyond Valor for the system counters, Yanks for the Americans, King and Country for the Commonwealth and who knows what for the maps.
It's a tragedy, but getting into ASL is an expensive proposition. Which is why the Starter Kits exist, as an inexpensive way in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, don't quite understand why MMP can't make a clear statement about what is needed.

I also find it odd that WW2 modules would be needed in a Korean War game. Sure, I kind of get it - but what a great chance to break free of all the inter-connected modules in the WW2 collection.

And if we are really lucky, all the needed modules will actually be in print !

Yes I'm grumpy... I bought the rules mainly to try out this module. I also bought a copy of Beyond Valor which I can understand would be needed. And I still need...Yanks ? For King And Country ? Rising Sun ? shrug...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Milano
Padania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
Odds are you will have to buy beyond Valor for the system counters, Yanks for the Americans, King and Country for the Commonwealth and who knows what for the maps.
It's a tragedy, but getting into ASL is an expensive proposition. Which is why the Starter Kits exist, as an inexpensive way in.

Actually i got kit 1 and 2, i know ASL is expensive and i think its worth the price but still its too hard to get a full experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Milano
Padania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
Yeah, don't quite understand why MMP can't make a clear statement about what is needed.

I also find it odd that WW2 modules would be needed in a Korean War game. Sure, I kind of get it - but what a great chance to break free of all the inter-connected modules in the WW2 collection.

Yes I'm grumpy... I bought the rules mainly to try out this module. I also bought a copy of Beyond Valor which I can understand would be needed. And I still need...Yanks ? For King And Country ? Rising Sun ? shrug...

I bet a penny that they will start a new fresh line with korea, maybe we only need the rules as if you read the content it will contain 7 sheets of counters, more than enough to contain all factions, also in the main site it is in the core

modules section, look:

FORGOTTEN WAR components include:

- seven countersheets

- four 8" x 22" maps (See a sneak peek of all four maps combined!)

- sixteen ASL scenarios

- Chapter W rules for the Korean War

- Chapter H rules for American, Commonwealth, O.U.N.C., R.O.K., K.P.A., and C.P.V.A.

- two chapter dividers

- one box and lid

finger crossed and i will be the happyest man!! ( i really like korea war ).

what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:

What comes with Beyond Valor, is all the game markers.
Now, if you are already whining about ASL,even before you have purchased the basic module and rules, don't you think that it would be reasonable not to invest in that system, rather than constantly feel frustration and anger boiling in your mind?
Life is too short to pile up resentment and bitterness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robin wrote:
CraigH wrote:

Now, if you are already whining about ASL,even before you have purchased the basic module and rules, don't you think that it would be reasonable not to invest in that system, rather than constantly feel frustration and anger boiling in your mind?

Read more carefully...

"I bought the rules...also bought Beyond Valor".

But otherwise I agree with you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Milano
Padania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Robin wrote:
CraigH wrote:

Maybe they'll make markers avaible like the maps.

As for your answer i think it was for me, if so answers like this dont help anyone. BTW no one said its a bad game.

Peace and love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing on VASL is a cheaper alternative. All that's required are the rules and scenario cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rydo wrote:
Robin wrote:
CraigH wrote:

Maybe they'll make markers avaible like the maps.

As for your answer i think it was for me, if so answers like this dont help anyone. BTW no one said its a bad game.

Peace and love.
I never implied that you thought that ASL was a bad game.
I simply spoke of your expressed frustration, which you admitted was shadowed by a grumpy tone.
I think on the contrary that, if you are already irritated at that level, suggesting that perhaps investing time and money in ASL would rather increase your irritation, was being helpful.
Who wants to feed one's frustrations as a hobby?
Shalom, eirènè, pax, paix, pace, peace, Friede.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmb
If you already own the ASL rule book (especially the newest edition that already has Chapter E), you can "sorta" get by with only VASL. (This is of course assuming the VASL counters and maps get the updated Korea components). Note that the rulebook has chapter H for all the vehicle and ordnance notes, so if you want "complete" you need the physical game. And for the non-VASL physical game, you're going to need a lot.

Beyond Valor: You already have this, all the system counters

Yanks: The Americans. It is being reprinted with more maps and scenarios. This has the bulk of Chapter H material.

For King and Country: The British and all the Chapter H notes.

Rising Sun: (This is Code of Bushido and Gung Ho! smashed together). This has the USMC counters and Chapter H. No idea if the GMD Chinese show up in the Korea module.

The physical mapboards: Somehow every new ASL game assumes you have all the mapboards from every previous module. There's always a scenario with that obscure mapboard (why I like VASL).

It would be nice if MMP would offer a version of the rulebook with every expansion's pages in either physical or electronic form. But failing that, you'd probably need (in this order) Yanks, Rising Sun, For King and Country (in addition to what you already have).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.