Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Theme: Did America plan a nuclear first strike? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K Kailden
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your thematic/historical context:

http://www.unz.com/runz/american-pravda-did-the-us-plan-a-nu...

Yes, this post may be the DEFCON 2 equivalent barely avoiding a future forever in RSP wasteland - so comment carefully, comrades
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see what the fuss would be. The US would have developed MANY plans. Unless there's some indication that a bolt from the blue was, at some point, THE plan, there's nothing to get excited about. All the linked article does is infer the existance of A plan, not that there ever existed an intent to execute it.

snore
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
It's the job of a nation's armed forces to plan for every possible war scenario, this is just one of those scenarios. The Soviets had plans for marching across Western Europe behind a barrage of tactical nukes and nerve gas, but that scenario was about as unlikely as the US first strike. IIRC, during the 1920s the US Navy had plans for going to war with Great Britain--a highly unlikely situation.

One other note, it's an interesting article and nice find but it's old news for students of the Cold War. The USA had the capability to "win" a nuclear war via a first strike through the mid 1960s with that window of opportunity closing at the end of LBJ's presidency. {Source: The 50 year War, Dr. Norman Friedman)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't see any RSP-worthy potential here. The military plans for all kinds of scenarios and contingencies - that's what the military does. This doesn't surprise me in the least.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kailden
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Yeah, I don't see any RSP-worthy potential here. The military plans for all kinds of scenarios and contingencies - that's what the military does. This doesn't surprise me in the least.


Yes, my intention was not to add 'clickbait' to the link as being controversial - I purely meant by not being about a specific boardgame element, it was apt to lead to political discussion.

Still, I think had plans like this, with possibly a specific date for the attack, been leaked certainly that may have affected 'influence markers' in some of the US aligned nations. I think its a bit of a postmodern approach to say 'of course a nation must have plans' - I'm trying to think of it in terms of the time period - and what was being sold -in that propaganda and paranoia and the chance of absolute devastation is exactly what made nations align between superpowers.

I'm not a Cold war scholar though so I recognize I could be looking at it too simply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Kailden
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:

One other note, it's an interesting article and nice find but it's old news for students of the Cold War. The USA had the capability to "win" a nuclear war via a first strike through the mid 1960s with that window of opportunity closing at the end of LBJ's presidency. {Source: The 50 year War, Dr. Norman Friedman)


Thank you - I've added that book to my to-read list. I've been looking for a good read on the Cold War - so many reviews of other books say that they are unbalanced - and I'm impatient for waiting 100 years for historians to figure it all out!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kailden wrote:
For your thematic/historical context:

http://www.unz.com/runz/american-pravda-did-the-us-plan-a-nu...

Yes, this post may be the DEFCON 2 equivalent barely avoiding a future forever in RSP wasteland - so comment carefully, comrades


US had a speech prepared in the event the moon landing failed
( http://watergate.info/1969/07/20/an-undelivered-nixon-speech... ).

Of course they had one plan for a first strike
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I even think there were plans to deal with a war with Canada. And not just in the Canadian Bacon way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.