Subject: Hell Hounds kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a long, long time, BoardGameGeek. And NSHex. This big guy* brought me back.

So, since I've finally risen from the dead again, time to get back to Hex business. I'd like to begin by asking you, the guys who have been sitting around all that time while I was busy doing my own personal stuff that just needed to be done, a question - is Hex still going on and kicking despite being, like, ten years old in total? Didn't you guys get bored? What about all the expansions? Is there still place for another one(s), or is it all already saturated and should be best left in place and frozen?

I'm actually considering reviving another project of mine that I did not give any actual attention yet, outside of Poland. It's called Hell Hounds and the beta beta version is available at neuroshimahex.pl - I'll translate the rules into English and post them in here in a few days, along with a copy of the army in a quality better than this tiny-resolution JPEG file.

Obligatory fluff text: Radiation does really fun stuff when combined with tens of hungry, sensory- and love-deprived dogs and their equally bored guards, caught by the surprise nuclear summer of Year 2020. Makes pack mentality come back in dogs and humans alike, amplified tenfold, along with parapsychic abilities and the fact that these furry guys tend to appear in places they shouldn't be in. This includes locked rooms, unreachable caves and locations miles away where stray squirrels roam in search for anything edible.

And they come back in a few seconds, with said squirrels not even knowing what happened to their spines, hanging limp from the dogs' jaws with blood slowly soaking between the deadly canine fangs.
DON'T TURN BACK NOW ONE OF THEM IS BEHIND YOU

The basic mechanical idea is yet another variation on the key idea of Mephisto - breaking yet another of the "obviously true" rules of Neuroshima Hex. Where Mephie made fun of the traditional split between HQs and units, Hell Hounds poke their wet noses into the holy rules of separating of game into two main phases - your turn and your opponent's turn - and what's placed on board, stays on board.

They can Blink onto the board in between your opponent's actions or even battle initiatives or be Swapped off back into your hand using the HQ's special ability, all while a pair of deliciously agile Tuggers utilize a new mechanic of moving Tugging stuff around the board, not unlike popping a cork off a wine bottle.

I'm thinking of putting a Kickstarter to collect funds for developing, testing and polishing this army to the point of being completely playable while also commissioning proper, non-Google-Images illustrations for the doggies - just like all other officially released armies have it. (all while hoping Ignacy from Portal Games doesn't jail me in the tiny NSHex 1.0 box forever for doing this)

* Should I?
* Will it get funded?
* Are you guys really sure about your answer to the above two questions?

These three are open questions that I want to collect your feedback on.

Please tell me what you think about this. I need your opinion on this in order to act accordingly.

~ Michal

PS: Get your hexpuzzle senses ready, I'll be preparing a few of these for an upcoming Mephisto 3.0 giveaway.

* actual real webcam footage
* Bane On A Plane reference not intended
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YOU SIR ARE BACK HERE, YES

I saw your prototype on the polish fan website and tried to contact you, I wanted to put your work in here.

Now let me read your textwall laugh

edit: I tried to send an email to somewhere supposedly linked to you, no outcome. Also, you didn't seem connected here for long. Welcome back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I apologize. I have left this project on the backburner for a few years as much more important RL things came and I admit that there have been a few mails I have never really responded to.

But you gave me a good idea - actually mail all the people who mailed me back then, with this post as a follow-up to what happened back then.

I'll send the spam on Sunday. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I'd pledge for a new army
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
is Hex still going on and kicking despite being, like, ten years old in total? Didn't you guys get bored? What about all the expansions? Is there still place for another one

Actually there's ALWAYS more place for more armies!
- I remade nearly all v1 armies into v2 visuals, but I've yet to release most as I have the refcards and PDFs to do and it's much more boring than the tiles itself.
Think about Hive, Hell Angels, Brotherhood of Cross, Beasts, Guild of Gladiators, Guild of Slavers, and some more...

- I have a HUGE new v2.0 eHeck file waiting to be uploaded, it's useful to get an overall vision of nearly everything that has been done in the NHex official/fan armies world and to ensure no one creates twice the same concept.

- I even have a "compendium" project on hold, to list every tiles/abilities...
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Neuroshima_Hex!_armies_a...
Was too lazy to add the pictures for now, and I didn't try to make a proper table for the entries.
Also it's not complete, and some entries may be changed slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@armies - WOW! That's a pretty huge piece of work, although now V3 is the thing. (I still like V2 more.)

@eHECK2 - I'm really interested in it! Now I want to see it in order to be able to catch up quicker with what's been going on with Hex for the past 3-4 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@armies - I'm thinking about the V2 visuals as being much more efficient so I won't be the one doing the upgrade job toward V3. yuk

@eHECK2 - I should finish some things in it and upload ASAP a clean version then!

@Kickstarter - I'm interested in anything NHexy actually, so you'd have my support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing NH like a year ago or so and has became one of my favorite games. I'm still collecting the different armies and stuff. Already have and love all 3 fan-made armies that were made official, and will certainly enjoy another one. So I will support the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oncoming Storm
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I stumbled on the NSH app this past January, and I've since shelled out $150 to buy the board game and every expansion I could get my hands on. So, yes, I would gladly give you my firstborn for another army!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OncomingStorm wrote:
So, yes, I would gladly give you my firstborn for another army!!

This sounds scary. Please don't.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Thanks! Your firstborn will be treated well and fed little cardboard hexagons every morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, welcome back

to answer your questions:
1/ ask portal if they would be ok with the idea (rights, etc.)
2/ usually, on kickstarter people offer things that are finished (or they pretend it). So it might be a problem for some people if you ask fund to develop.
3/ before answering the 2 questions, you should be a bit more clear about: a) how much you ask for the base reward (the army), b) how much money you need for the project to be run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stępniak
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm afraid that if you put it on KS without contact Michał Oracz it will not be tournament army. So interest of gamers would be smaller. Moreover for me continuation of design is very important and I probably be unsatisfied if there will be different character of graphics and thickness of tiles, so I recommend cooperation with Portal.
And if You choose to use KS what SG will You add?

ad.1 You should try to release that army for sure. In my opinion You should try to make it tournament army and if You succsess You can use KS or any other way.
ad.2 If price will not be 2x higher then regular armmy it should be.
ad.3 Yes, I'm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.