Cards Against Humanity» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Should be called Cards Against Good Taste. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Cards_Against_Humanity [+] [View All]
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards Against Humanity is a card game that takes the Apples to Apples system and puts a perverse, misogynistic, racist, anti-religious theme on it.

On your turn you read a card from one deck. The word on the card is usually some kind of adjective. Then everyone else looks at their cards (taken from another deck) which are usually nouns, and hands one face down to the current player. The player whose turn it is takes all the other players cards, shuffles them, reads them out to the group, then chooses the noun he thinks goes best with the adjective. Whomever's card the person picked gets the adjective card. Whoever has the most of these at the end of the game wins.

Cards Against Humanity's strength and weakness are the same thing, which is its ability to shock players with depraved word combinations. It's a strength in the first couple plays, but with each new game the shock value decreases drastically. However, even from the first play one quickly feels like they are being bludgeoned over the head with over-obvious teenage toilet humour. It's ok once in a very long while, but that's it. I would not recommend this game, at all though, if you are easily offended. As the game produces a no-holds-barred attack against every group and institution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Rock
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
the game produces a no-holds-barred attack against every group and institution.

That's what makes it good. IMO many are too uptight these days in this uber-politically-correct world and can benefit from a reset and let it all out once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Cards Against Humanity is a card game that takes the Apples to Apples system and puts a perverse, misogynistic, racist, anti-religious theme on it.

I'd actually argue it's not misogynistic or racist. Anti-religious, yes, but it's anti every religion, not just one. I'm talking about just the cards made by the CAH guys here. There are some that deal with race, yes, but not ones that are overly racist. Even a card like "The Three Fifths Compromise" isn't racist, as it's not saying anything positive or negative about it, but just the fact that it exists. It's a real part of history, as ugly as it may be, but it's real.

Maximuss wrote:
On your turn you read a card from one deck. The word on the card is usually some kind of adjective. Then everyone else looks at their cards (taken from another deck) which are usually nouns, and hands one face down to the current player. The player whose turn it is takes all the other players cards, shuffles them, reads them out to the group, then chooses the noun he thinks goes best with the adjective. Whomever's card the person picked gets the adjective card. Whoever has the most of these at the end of the game wins.

You just described Apples to Apples, not CAH.

Quote:
As the game produces a no-holds-barred attack against every group and institution.

If it wasn't against every group and institution it would be biased. Everybody is an equal target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Swantner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my golly gosh. Are you kidding? I had no idea it was a naughty game. How could they?

But really, are you new to the planet?
Well first, welcome to Earth. And second, why did you even bother posting? You don't like it? OK. Great. You are not required to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUUL42 wrote:
Oh my golly gosh. Are you kidding? I had no idea it was a naughty game. How could they?

Well first, welcome to Earth. And second, why did you even bother posting? You don't like it? OK. Great. You are not required to.

So you agree that his review is correct but deny his right to post it.

His review wasn't worth posting? His post was about the game...yours was not.

Edit to Add: ROFL, can't criticize a game about criticizing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandelion
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
pinto beans
badge
rice
mb
I actually think the flaw of the game is that it's too safe. Boring, even. For those who like to serve their 'rebellion', 'shocking insults', or 'anti-pc' comments out of a can, spoon fed to them by someone else with minimum personal meaning, responsibility, or engagement. Titillating for those who are too pent up or nervous to say anything funny, shocking or interesting themselves, perhaps. Judging by the game's reception, I'd say it meets a desire in our culture, anyway.

Party games where you get to make up the content yourself, or at least own and expand on the given words personally instead of dumping anonymous pregenerated 'offensive' phrases in sequence until the game tells you to stop, are more interesting to me. Things..., Wise & Otherwise, Say Anything, Funemployed, Snake Oil, etc.

my 2c.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
ZUUL42 wrote:

So you agree that his review is correct but deny his right to post it.

His review wasn't worth posting? His post was about the game...yours was not.

Edit to Add: ROFL, can't criticize a game about criticizing

Thanks for that! I find it odd how people take negative reviews so personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I own CAH and would be the first to agree that the game lacks replayability. It's sat on the shelf for well over a year now. We might have a play or two left in it, I don't know. But not a lot more than that.

What I don't like about this review is that it's just inaccurate. It says misogynistic and racist as if the game is specifically against women and specifically against non-whites. That's not the case at all. The game is against anyone and everyone. To be misogynistic the game would have to be specifically hostile to women. To be truly racist it would have to be against a specific race. It's not. The people who created this game are libertarian liberals - no, not a contradiction. They're making fun of everyone and everything. Men are as easily mocked as women. Whites as well as blacks and everyone in between.

It does get repetitive. It does lose its shock value over time. And yeah, being drunk to enjoy this game is almost mandatory. But saying it's racist and misogynistic is demonstrably not true and I think it was THAT that ticked off a previous poster.

The word that fits all of this misanthropic. Which is basically the name of the game - Cards Against Humanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Swantner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry. It was 4 AM and at that hour triggered a response. I was fairly inarticulate.
It seems to me any public review, good or bad, is superfluous at this point, as is evident in that there have only been 2 new posts in this sub-forum in the last year, including this one. It has the feeling of writing a review simply so others can be graced with their opinion. There is nothing new brought up here, so no need for the post. The game has been out for over 5 years. If someone hasn't heard of it by now, they likely don't ever go on BoardGameGeek. So, it's amazing that game play needed to be described to us. As far as play-style goes, I've played with groups that stick to the most shocking, dirty cards, your toilet humor, one guy that even culls all the tame cards from his collection, and I've played with groups that get creative with the tame cards and make a lot more use of the historical reference cards that so many others need to have explained. So, it's replayability is debatable, as it has been for the last 5 years, but part of that comes from the group doing the playing.
I suppose I can solve my own problem by unsubscribing to the CAH-reviews sub-forum. It's just annoying since you have to unsubscribe to all CAH sub-forums and then go back and manually resubscribe to all sub-forums besides this one. If it makes you feel better, I'll also go ahead and delete all of my posts in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.