9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Shadow Rune rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
A couple months back, I purchased Descent and a couple of expansions with the main purpose of playing RTL.

Recently, my friends and I decided to venture on to the Shadow Rune campaign. However, 3 quests in (Fat Goblin, Castle Daerion and Masquerade Ball), we noticed that the gameplay is rather boring i.e. the heroes win by turn 3).

Does this campaign get better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Shadow Rune is mostly considered the weakest full campaign. FFG did a much better job with all subsequent campaigns.

If you don't want to purchase either of the big box expansions (though with the content, it's worth it), I highly suggest picking up "Heirs of Blood" which is a separate full campaign guide that uses only the core game tiles and monsters, and is inexpensive compared to the boxed expansions.

In fact, in newer copies of Descent 2E, FFG has removed Shadow Rune and includes Heirs of Blood as the core set included campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe these have been errata'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityBlack14 wrote:
I believe these have been errata'd
There have been fixes for big issues, but The Shadow Rune as a campaign is still kinda bad. Thankfully FFG seems to have realized that in hindsight. It was their very first attempt at addressing the issues of Descent 1.0, so it's understandable. There's always the option for FFG to release a more balanced Shadow Rune 2.0 campaign as a stand alone like Heirs of Blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Corley

Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
There's always the option for FFG to release a more balanced Shadow Rune 2.0 campaign as a stand alone like Heirs of Blood.

I hope FFG goes this route at some point. I discovered 'Descent' last fall and, by the time I bough it, they had already made the switch to Heirs of Blood. In spite of all I've heard about its deficiencies, the 'Shadow Rune' campaign still intrigues me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mb
Heroes win Fat Goblin by turn 3? Is your OL asleep?

We're just starting D2e atm, playing Shadow Rune. I really don't see what's so bad about it.

But then, I do have everything. I'm spoiled for options (agents, rumors, items, secret rooms, etc) and that probably makes everything more fun by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stumpersthecorgi wrote:
... we noticed that the gameplay is rather boring i.e. the heroes win by turn 3).

In my opinion, those are two disparate statements. Gameplay can be fun and engaging and one player may still win by turn 3. Conversely, gameplay can still be boring even if it takes the entire evening. So I find this a weird thing to say. Do you believe the game is boring or do you find that it is over too quickly?

It's been a while since I last played the shadow rune, but I am fairly certain that the heroes cannot win those quests in 3 turns. Some encounters, maybe, but even "a fat goblin" should take quite a bit longer. Also, in our experience it is the overlord that is usually winning.

Please try to formulate what you really think is lacking in the game as I don't quite think you have figured that out yet.

btw, I do agree with the other posters that the Shadow Rune is not the best campaign out there. But then again, it's not that terrible. We played the campaign twice back in the day and had great fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply.. We are playing a two player game with the hero player playing Syndrael and Avric. Most of the three turns games are for the 2nd encounter. I noticed 1st encounters last longer

Masquerade ball ended really quickly as Eliza was not about to open the doors fast enough in Encounter two and Syndrael's heroic feat allowed the heroes to wipe out all the spiders in one turn. Syndrael later used whirlwind and wiped out the two barghests in one turn.

Castle Daerion - We admittedly didn't know there were errata updates for the quest and played the pre-errata version. The OL used ettins/zombies/goblin archers and was pretty much slamming Sir Palamon with up to 10 damage each turn.

I guess our issue with it is that the quests seem very one-sided, which leads to one side winning too easily

Just played the Shadow Vault quest today and it was much better.

Curious if Zachareth uses Dominion on a hero and throws him into lava, does the hero die instantly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stumpersthecorgi wrote:
Curious if Zachareth uses Dominion on a hero and throws him into lava, does the hero die instantly?

No.

The hero would suffer 1 damage for entering a space containing lava. Figures are only defeated when they end their turn into lava. So the hero has his entire turn left to move out of the lava space.

Now, if you were to combine this move with something that applies the "immobilize" condition, however... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.