$5.00
$15.00
Andres Montanes-Lleras
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this the other day on the expansion forum, but got no answer.

I had been thinking of getting the NPC-1 for the extra vault items (I am not a fan of Bang Staff, so I prefer this over the NPC-2). I am also intrigued by the idea of collecting NPCs in order to get a vault item, adding an aditional "objective" for the game.

However, I am a bit hesitant about how this might change the difficulty of the game.

Any thoughts? Does having more "NPC walkers" make it too easy?

Is this worth getting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got both. And originally included all the spawn cards. I found that resulted in too many walkers.
So I cut half (with a focus on cards that produce fewer, leaving lots of cards that spawn large numbers) I'm happy with the result.

I don't feel any of the new vault weapons significantly affect difficulty. They're good, but not great. Roughly equivalent to the vault items in the core box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G H
Germany
flag msg tools
I also liked the NPC-1 vault items better, so I got those. Just the variety of having to choose from 5 instead of 2 vault items is nice. If you feel getting the vault items by turning in the NPCs is too easy, just use them as standard walkers. Even if you don't use the extra rules you get 3 vault items and 20 standard walkers, which isn't too bad.
In addition to that they're nice models.

So I think it's definately worth getting those. I'm not sure on the difficulty. I have only played one game with them (Wulfsburg, Quest 2). It didn't feel to challenging but that could still be due to quest design.

Cooperton wrote:

I don't feel any of the new vault weapons significantly affect difficulty. They're good, but not great. Roughly equivalent to the vault items in the core box.

I beg to differ on that one. You get a 3 damage weapon, which let's you kill an abomination. Plus you can choose it right away, if you go by the NPC rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's also worth noting: I've lost games due to extra Walker activations (including NPCs) because of npc spawn cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't the NPC cards from both sets the same card numbers? That's why they shouldn't all be put in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Aren't the NPC cards from both sets the same card numbers? That's why they shouldn't all be put in.

Nope, different numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
A box of NPCs makes the game easier both because it spawns more walkers and thus reduces the zombie threat SLIGHTLY and because it improves access to Vault items.

It does have the side effect of adding a shield to the vault items, making weapons harder to find, and two more ranged weapons similar to the Orcish Crossbow, making inferno harder to find. But giving you vault items for killing NPCs makes vault items easier to acquire. With just one box you need to kill one of each of the 5 sculpts, which can take a while. With both boxes this is easier because you are more likely to get different sculpts. (It is even easier with the kickstarter's 3 extra sculpts)

I suggest adding NPCs if you have already added Zombie Bosses, Wolvesburg, or deadeye walkers, as it helps maintain balance, but I wouldn't add it to just the base game unless I was teaching a new group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
I use both NPC 1 and 2 models. I pull them at random when drawn. I only use the NPC 1 spawn cards and it's fine. Whenever I would exchange for a Vault item, I just pick the top Vault card from the Vault deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
However, I am a bit hesitant about how this might change the difficulty of the game.

Everything changes the difficulty of the game. Some more difficult, some less difficult. Of course, the degree can also be adjusted by using more or fewer of the cards or miniatures. The player's experience and skill is also involved. If you get everything, you'll be able to adjust the difficulty up or down in a variety of ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
montanus wrote:

Everything changes the difficulty of the game. Some more difficult, some less difficult. Of course, the degree can also be adjusted by using more or fewer of the cards or miniatures. The player's experience and skill is also involved. If you get everything, you'll be able to adjust the difficulty up or down in a variety of ways.

This is very true. This game can have a wild swing of difficulty level, depending on how your spawn deck is set up (ie. which expansion content you have, and how many of those cards you decide to add to the spawn deck).

That said, NPCs only make the game easier -- outside of Eric's once-in-a-while scenario:

Cooperton wrote:
It's also worth noting: I've lost games due to extra Walker activations (including NPCs) because of npc spawn cards.

I would definitely not add them until you have a good mix of expansion content to counterbalance them (but you could still use the extra vault cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Jackson
Australia
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find it far too easy to get the vault items with both NPC packs mixed in (more cards so they come up more often and more sculpts so you don't often get stuck with 2 or 3 of the same type killed by the same survivor). I have been thinking about making it 6 or 7 different NPC before you can collect a vault item, but I do love having the extra variety of vault items, just that as they are, it makes the game too easy in my experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I mix in the NPC cards, it will only to get the distribution percentages back to normal levels. I really don't like the NPC/Vault item rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all of the Kickstarter content, the NPC's cards are required to maintain the original balance of the game while including *some* of each of the added content. There are plenty of threads discussing what different people have included in their spawn deck.

Including all of them makes the game significantly easier, but the Deadeyes, Crowz, and plethora of Super-Aboms make the game significantly harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.