Scythe» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Saxony doesn't need love, Saxony doesn't need recruits! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2player Me Saxony(Industrial) vs human Polania(Agricultural)

Just finished a game which i won in all the 'wrong' ways

My initial focus was getting an extra worker or two out and to hammer out iron and oil from the Saxony home lands.

I put out the the underpass mech first because in my estimation Saxony's river walk is not so great,

Alongside this i just pumped out upgrades for 3 gold each turn (well net 2) and net 2 every time i produced and was able to put out a mech.

I upgraded the mech and upgrade bottom rows so every time i produced i could build a mech then bolster. This was the heart of my game plan and generated me much coins as well as providing early map control.

Polonia got lakewalk, and got the bear to the factory first. They took the factory card 'pay 1 love for upgrade or recruit' and set about encounter hopping, using the endless supplies of polish love to upgrade and recruit. Simultaneously they built buildings and mechs using more conventional approaches.

With underpass on the map I meanwhile got Deutschland's many quick mechs out onto the map and headed to seize the factory and surrounding land as the bear danced around the edges of the map. During this period I

-claimed the factory
-claimed 3 tundras for objective 1
-got a worker on each production tile for objective 2

I had my character and a couple of mechs on the factory, and i was preparing for an offensive onto the mountain tunnel near Polania where Polania was mining iron for mechs, I wanted to kick their economy in the teeth to get ahead and win the game. Unfortunately i was behind in power due to the Polish player scoring a lot of power in early encounters.

So i hung back bolstering to 7 while Polania amassed a doom stack of mechs on the one tile i could conceivably assault.

The cold war was on. Polania knowing if it separated its forces they would receive individualy targeted Saxon love, but me not being able to assault 4 mechs and (by the end of the game) a character. No fighting happened in this game, but the threat of this combat pinned Polania in place until close.

Towards the mid/end of the game I moved some guys onto a nearby lumber mill and began placing my buildings as i spread out a little to claim more tiles.

Polania scored 6 to close the game while i scored 5 stars

Polania

-Max hearts
-Max power
-all recruits
-all buildings
-all upgrades
-all mechs

Saxony

-2 objectives
-all buildings
-all upgrades
-all mechs

In the end

I had much more of the map (see the picture)
I had lowest tier popularity, my opponent had highest tier popularity
I had not a single recruit, my opponent had all recruits.

-but also I had 32 coins from my hard industrial production strategy and won 72 vs 65

So i won

-with Saxony
-With lowest tier popularity
-with 0 recruits
-i din't get 6 stars
-opponent had max pop modifier
-and the constant cold war defined the whole game (there were 0 fights but it hung over the game like a cloud.)

-and you know i think Polania's key counter could have been to lake walk a mech into the middle of my base and start pushing workers home from the oil spaces; i think that would have won them the game.

I posted this report because everything that 'doesn't happen' according to some people was the definition of what won this game, and really it was cash in hand that was the single biggest contributor to my score.... as cash is not modified by pop...

EDIT (Cheers for the gold!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, but this is just a 2 player game. Why is it getting all this love, with no comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Just a 2 player game"? That infers a 2p game is inferior to 3-5p?

It's a good session report and the OP is pointing out that there are many ways to win. Some salient points he made:

- No combats actually occurred--even though he was Saxony.
- Lowest tier popularity beat highest tier popularity.
- The player placing the 6th star did not win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
I'm a bit confused about calling out zero recruits, in that I haven't seen any claims that you can't win the game without recruits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
I'm a bit confused about calling out zero recruits, in that I haven't seen any claims that you can't win the game without recruits.

Its not that you can't its just that I see a lot of advice when I've been playing that Recruits are very powerful (and they are) I'd say you frequently get more utility out of a recruit than a building upgrade or sometimes a mech.

-and if you have all recruits and your opponent gets none then you not only have a free injection from the initial recruitment and an improved bottom row action; you also sort of get a free half a top row action every time your opponent has a turn. (1 heart is like half a trade, 1 combat card is like half a bolster, 1 power is like half a bolster, 1 gold just adds to your high score.

So its not that they are 100% essential, its just that they are very strong.

-and i reported it here because I had 0 my opponent had 4 of these and i had none effectively giving them a bunch more 'game turns' than me.

The other thing i wanted to report this for was cash on hand being my biggest scoring factor. I haven't seen that so much. -what i have seen is talk about pop, but pop doesn't help so much if raw cash is your biggest source of points.

Hope that all makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
-and if you have all recruits and your opponent gets none then you not only have a free injection from the initial recruitment and an improved bottom row action; you also sort of get a free half a top row action every time your opponent has a turn. (1 heart is like half a trade, 1 combat card is like half a bolster, 1 power is like half a bolster, 1 gold just adds to your high score.

It's not quite every opponents turn, but every opponents turn in which they use a bottom row action. You get nothing from recruits if they only use a top row action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
You get nothing from recruits if they only use a top row action.
Which is a pity, really. Also, we played that wrong in our first game (well, we noticed our mistake mid-game...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
mogust wrote:
You get nothing from recruits if they only use a top row action.
Which is a pity, really. Also, we played that wrong in our first game (well, we noticed our mistake mid-game...).

Did that the first couple of games myself. What it does is make you pay attention to what you think your neighbors are likely to do most later in the game. To me that makes it a bit more fun of a mental game of which recruit to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Way
msg tools
What was the building bonus tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.