Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When I first heard of this expansion, for some reason I assumed it would be two teams, either 3v3, 4v4, etc. I was excited about that, and it would reduce player elimination (as you can trade bandages, the godfather can protect, etc). It turns out it's a game of "partners", all teams are 2 players each. I guess there's nothing to stop us from playing that type of variant though. I might try it both ways with my group of 8.

In any game I'm never a fan of player elimination, unless the game is really really short. It's possible to be eliminated in this game as fast as the second round (thanks to the big gun in this set, but even 3 without it), leaving 5-6 rounds (most of the game) to finish it.

I'm considering a couple of variants for player elimination, the one I'm leaning towards trying the most is this: if you are eliminated, you lose 2 of your loot cards (randomly selected), and sit out only the following turn, eligible to return to play as normal after that, and be considered in the running for the total loot winner at the end.

Losing 2 items and sitting out a turn seems like a decently heavy penalty, while not completely eliminating a player.

Let me know what you think, or if anyone has ever played with a non-elimination variant, what it was. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Dunning
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmichael wrote:

In any game I'm never a fan of player elimination, unless the game is really really short.

This game seems to fit that bill. True you can get eliminated in the first or second round (which happened in a game I played recently), but the game is quick enough that it is not bothersome. To me, it just seems like you really lose something when you take away player elimination. Even with a penalty, there is not enough incentive to lay down during the courage round. So to answer your question, I haven't tried a variant like you are describing, but I just don't think the game would have the same feel. Plus, I think the games are quick enough that the eliminated players can get their revenge when you inevitably play this game again as soon as the first is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play with 9 people it's teams of 3 and you could easily houserule a 6 player game as 2 teams of 3 instead of 3 of 2 and it wouldn't really affect much. If you like team play and not the big gun...take the gun out? Also, your team members can trade cards with you to help keep you in the game in addition to using their extra bullet and healing cards on you because it's in their best interest to keep you in the game. so that should balance out any extra player elimination you think there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.