$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Ivanka Trump doesn't pay her interns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ivanka-trump-unpaid-inte...=&

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Who does? Interns are the lowest of low*.

* -- I used to be one. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Who does? Interns are the lowest of low*.

* -- I used to be one. whistle


Read the whole article.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
Who does? Interns are the lowest of low*.

* -- I used to be one. whistle


Read the whole article.


And? Do you actually have a point? I mean, I guess it would be one thing if Ivanka said previously "i pay all my interns" and this comes out proving she lied.

Or are you pointing to the fact that unpaid internships are illegal in NY unless certain requirements are meant, which the artcile points out but says it doesn't know for sure.

Or are you merely pointing this out because it is Ivanka Trump, whose daddy is running for president, ignoring the many other companies that used unpaid interns (again, the article mentions her company isn't the only one).

So what is your point?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
And? Do you actually have a point? I mean, I guess it would be one thing if Ivanka said previously "i pay all my interns" and this comes out proving she lied.

I doubt that would matter either. Trump himself has lied about many things and it doesn't matter. As an example: he said he provides onsite childcare for his employees, but he doesn't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dems are the only hypocrits that demand a minimum wage and then want more unpaid interns. Pelosi has a great interview on YouTube with Jan... I can't be bothered to go look it up on my phone right know though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both parties use unpaid interns and no one bitches about those.


I don't know if Ivanka is doing anything illegal.

Apparently tho...
Quote:
Heiress and entrepreneur Ivanka Trump was on the receiving end of some Twitter mockery for enlisting one of her lifestyle blog's unpaid interns to write a piece posted Thursday about savvy strategies to get by without a paycheck.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ivanka-trump-unpaid-in...
— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) August 18, 2016

In “How to Survive as an Unpaid Intern,” copy intern Quincy Bulin surveys her fellow team of unpaid interns, two of whom are young women named Mackenzie, for their penny-pinching tips. These include adding a part-time summer job to make up for lost income and organizing potlucks with friends to avoid spending money on expensive meals out.

The irony of a billionaire presidential nominee's daughter declining to pay the female staff she uses to promote her lifestyle blog‚ which champions working women, was not lost on social media users. Some asked Trump whether her internship program complied with federal regulations ensuring that work programs are educational and benefit the intern more than the employer. Others raised an eyebrow at the choice to use emojis of black women in the graphic accompanying the article on social media.


@IvankaTrump I've supervised interns at charities who have no funds for them, yet a billion $ luxury brand stiffs them w/ no sense of irony?

— Lloyd Jacobson (@HOUmanReporter) August 19, 2016


Seems a bit like people who don't like her anyway catching her saying something a little insensitive (and maybe a little racist). It doesn't appear to be illegal.

However, it does appear she's learned well from her father about not paying salary to contractors and employees.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/06/donald-t...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Who does? Interns are the lowest of low*.

* -- I used to be one. :whistle:


We pay our interns, and i work in (*gasp*) tech.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The scandal isn't that Ivanka Trump doesn't pay her interns. The scandal is that it's legal.
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:


I love it when nutters fail to see the comedy in this. Ivanka has not made a career out of wanting to raise the minimum wage.

So for example, when Bernie was found out to be paying his female interns less, that was funny. This is really barely worthy of a mention.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
The scandal isn't that Ivanka Trump doesn't pay her interns. The scandal is that it's legal.


What if the interns want to learn and are making a choice to exchange their labor for knowledge ? Are you pro choice in this, or are people not smart enough to make their own decisions ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
The scandal isn't that Ivanka Trump doesn't pay her interns. The scandal is that it's legal.


What if the interns want to learn and are making a choice to exchange their labor for knowledge ? Are you pro choice in this, or are people not smart enough to make their own decisions ?


Often the premise for unpaid internships that the interns should be given substantive work is violated. And the vast expansion of the unpaid internships over the past 30 years or so greatly disadvantages people who are not in a financial position to work for free.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Often the premise for unpaid internships that the interns should be given substantive work is violated. And the vast expansion of the unpaid internships over the past 30 years or so greatly disadvantages people who are not in a financial position to work for free.


So cheap unskilled labor hurts the lower skilled labor force ? Boy, that sounds a lot like Trumps reason to build a wall.whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Often the premise for unpaid internships that the interns should be given substantive work is violated. And the vast expansion of the unpaid internships over the past 30 years or so greatly disadvantages people who are not in a financial position to work for free.


So cheap unskilled labor hurts the lower skilled labor force ? Boy, that sounds a lot like Trumps reason to build a wall.whistle


No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Often the premise for unpaid internships that the interns should be given substantive work is violated. And the vast expansion of the unpaid internships over the past 30 years or so greatly disadvantages people who are not in a financial position to work for free.


So cheap unskilled labor hurts the lower skilled labor force ? Boy, that sounds a lot like Trumps reason to build a wall.:whistle:


No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.
Well thats your fault for not being born wealthy, your choice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Often the premise for unpaid internships that the interns should be given substantive work is violated. And the vast expansion of the unpaid internships over the past 30 years or so greatly disadvantages people who are not in a financial position to work for free.


So cheap unskilled labor hurts the lower skilled labor force ? Boy, that sounds a lot like Trumps reason to build a wall.whistle


No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.
Well thats your fault for not being born wealthy, your choice.


True, that. I often wonder why the HELL I chose the parents I chose. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely choose wealthier and better looking parents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.


wait, it hurts you because its not fair or because they are doing work that you do ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.


wait, it hurts you because its not fair or because they are doing work that you do ?


I'll ask answer assuming you really are confused, and aren't just being intentionally thick (because it lets me make the point explicitly).

Internships are overwhelmingly taken by the adult children of people who can afford to subsidize their adult children. That reduces the opportunity for people WITHOUT such well-off parents to enter many fields.

I hope that is understandable for you.

edit: dumb typo fixed
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.


wait, it hurts you because its not fair or because they are doing work that you do ?


I'll ask assuming you really are confused, and aren't just being intentionally thick (because it lets me make the point explicitly).

Internships are overwhelmingly taken by the adult children of people who can afford to subsidize their adult children. That reduces the opportunity for people WITHOUT such well-off parents to enter many fields.

I hope that is understandable for you.


I'd never thought of that angle before -- we always hear about how exploitative unpaid internships are, but you're right - there's some reverse trickledown going on there. Most people can't afford to work unpaid in NYC or SF for 6 months.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.


wait, it hurts you because its not fair or because they are doing work that you do ?


I'll ask assuming you really are confused, and aren't just being intentionally thick (because it lets me make the point explicitly).

Internships are overwhelmingly taken by the adult children of people who can afford to subsidize their adult children. That reduces the opportunity for people WITHOUT such well-off parents to enter many fields.

I hope that is understandable for you.


I'd never thought of that angle before -- we always hear about how exploitative unpaid internships are, but you're right - there's some reverse trickledown going on there. Most people can't afford to work unpaid in NYC or SF for 6 months.


Yep. I've worked with dozens of interns over my time. All unpaid. Almost all (there was one dud) very bright, hard-working, engaged, etc. All with parental financial support.

So I never saw the very bright, hard-working, engaged students that couldn't afford to work for free. They never got that nice line on their resume, or their entree into this professional world.

I don't think this is the INTENT of the internships; clearly it isn't. But it certainly has become another largely unwitting but no less significant element of the self-perpetuation of the advantages enjoyed by the advantaged class.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
windsagio wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
No, it hurts the ability of people like me who worked 60 hours a week for pay in the summer (and 40 hours a week DURING the school year) to be able to afford to pay for college.


wait, it hurts you because its not fair or because they are doing work that you do ?


I'll ask assuming you really are confused, and aren't just being intentionally thick (because it lets me make the point explicitly).

Internships are overwhelmingly taken by the adult children of people who can afford to subsidize their adult children. That reduces the opportunity for people WITHOUT such well-off parents to enter many fields.

I hope that is understandable for you.


I'd never thought of that angle before -- we always hear about how exploitative unpaid internships are, but you're right - there's some reverse trickledown going on there. Most people can't afford to work unpaid in NYC or SF for 6 months.


Yep. I've worked with dozens of interns over my time. All unpaid. Almost all (there was one dud) very bright, hard-working, engaged, etc. All with parental financial support.

So I never saw the very bright, hard-working, engaged students that couldn't afford to work for free. They never got that nice line on their resume, or their entree into this professional world.

I don't think this is the INTENT of the internships; clearly it isn't. But it certainly has become another largely unwitting but no less significant element of the self-perpetuation of the advantages enjoyed by the advantaged class.


The intent is to get work for free (or a discount), in my field, it's a way to scout out potential employees for the future as well.

To me that's the other part of it. It's still a messed up system, I'd like to see unpaid internships be rightly illegal. No matter which way you lose it, all the young people involved lose something.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
The state required me to do a paid internship ( meaning I paid for the privilege of doing it) in order to be a certified teacher. Assuming it is a fairly short term internship and she followed the rules, it is a practice that has been happening for decades and is A de facto given if you are trying to break into certain career fields.

We could debate the merits of such a system, but the system exists so deriding anyone for using it is shrevingenuous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
And feminist Bill Clinton used his position of authority to take advantage of young women in the workplace by ruining the life of one of his interns.

Hillary Helped Cover-Up 36 Extramarital Affairs

http://radaronline.com/photos/bill-clinton-sex-assault-claim...

Even if only half of those are true, that's still rather shocking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure glad Bill Clinton isn't running for President...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Internships are overwhelmingly taken by the adult children of people who can afford to subsidize their adult children.


do you have a source for that ?

If its only rich people with these long time stay at home kids, why did the Dem's push so hard to get obamacare to cover adults up to age 27 or 28 or whatever ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.