Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some general rules clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi there, how are you?

Today I played my first solo game of Elder Sign with Gates of Arkham and I need to know some things:

1. When the Entry effect is "A monster appears here!", does it stack? I mean, if 3 investigators enter the adventure or someone left and then come back, would it be that many monsters on the card? If not on the card, would I need to put 4 monsters into play or just for the 1st time?

2. When fighting the Old One, could you trade items, clues as if those investigators are on the same place?

3. If I have to put a monster and there's no task with the specific border, can I opt to put on a facedown card even if there is facedown cards?

4. If the monster is below a facedown card and when I turn another card that has the border on the task, will the monster move there? Or it stays put?

5. Not a rule thing, but I played solo with 2 investigators and the game was a nail biter... then the Ancient One awoke and it was boring. I know it was the easy one of GoA pulling randomly, but it was anti-climatic. Is there some light variant to restrict the number of investigators? With the expansion there's a ton to be killed.

Thanks everyone!

Best regards,

Lucas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
1. When the Entry effect is "A monster appears here!", does it stack? I mean, if 3 investigators enter the adventure or someone left and then come back, would it be that many monsters on the card? If not on the card, would I need to put 4 monsters into play or just for the 1st time?

Every time an investigator moves to an adventure with an Entry effect, that effect is resolved. So, if you have 3 investigators moving there, you trigger the effect 3 times. Please remember that investigator starting their movement phase on the adventure (for example, they failed resolving the adventure in their previous turn) don't trigger the Entry effect anymore

DarthVandelay wrote:
2. When fighting the Old One, could you trade items, clues as if those investigators are on the same place?

This is certainly true in Arkham Horror, but not in Elder Sign. In Elder Sign trading is not allowed, unless a specific effect says otherwise.

DarthVandelay wrote:
3. If I have to put a monster and there's no task with the specific border, can I opt to put on a facedown card even if there is facedown cards?

Monsters can be placed on facedown cards, sure

DarthVandelay wrote:
4. If the monster is below a facedown card and when I turn another card that has the border on the task, will the monster move there? Or it stays put?

The monster stays on the facedown card. When you flip the facedown card with the monster faceup, if there's a monster task, then you place the monster on the just revealed monster task, otherwise you add it to the card as an extra task

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
wow, that was fast!

Just one thing that I didn't understand: the entry effect states "a monster appears here!", so in that particular case would I have an adventure with 2+ monsters even if another adventures don't have any monsters on them?

Aside from this, everything else was clarified

Thank you very much, Julia.

EDIT: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
wow, that was fast!

Just one thing that I didn't understand: the entry effect states "a monster appears here!", so in that particular case would I have an adventure with 2+ monsters even if another adventures don't have any monsters on them?

This is correct. As a general rule for all FFG games, when there's a conflict between the rules and a card effect, the card superseeds the rules. So, the card forces you to spawn on that card a monster, regardless of the general distribution of monsters at that particular moment

DarthVandelay wrote:
Thank you very much, Julia.

My pleasure helping. Hope you would enjoy Gates for several more plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Now the game will flow more with these rules out of the way.

You've been amazing, thank you Julia. Actually, I'll go to my 2nd play right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.