Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh. Somehow this game slipped past my radar and I missed out on ordering it. But it looks great, just perfect for our group. So I've decided to build a pnp version - at least this way we can test it out before I plunk down the money for a proper copy. And we'll have to have something to play between now and next Spring when the 2nd printing arrives.

So I just finished building a dragon and wanted to share. That's all this is. At first I used my 3D printer to make a clone of the wooden meeple dragon in the game:

It looked fine, but I was really missing the artwork from the standee. Then I realized - I have a 3D printer, I can make the meeple any shape I want. And we have a Xyron sticker maker. Hmmmm...

So I made a meeple/standee combo. I think it looks pretty awesome.

I switched the base to black, it gives more contrast with the artwork. I now have half the tiles fabricated, all of the player boards and rules sheets are done, now I just have to plug through making all of those tokens and other meeples. There's a lot of stuff in that box. I can't wait to try the game out.

To the designers - thank you for sharing the pretty pnp files! It really shows how confident you are in your game, and I appreciate the opportunity to play it. Wish I'd run across the game a week or two earlier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh great. Now I have to buy a 3D printer and label maker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ooooh. Very nice.
An improvement over the pieces that come in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hope you continue showing your other meeple creations. That looks fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
I don't have a 3D printer or nothin, but that does look pretty sweet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I designed a little treasure chest last night and printed it out. Very happy with the result. I did both 'closed' and 'open' versions. The open version looks a bit like it might be a mimic...

I also found a crystal design on Thingiverse that was perfect for the game, and I happened to have a light purple filament sitting around.

The other thing from the photos are examples of the encounter and omen tokens. I've printed out 2mm thick squares and disks to affix the omen/encounter labels to. Gives them a bit of heft.

By the way, I know none of my photos show legal placements of the tiles. I've still only crafted half the tile set, all of the crystal tiles are in the queue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bobpony wrote:
...and I happened to have a light purple filament sitting around.

A phrase that would never have been uttered 5 years ago lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have to ask: which 3d printer are you using - the results look very good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decar wrote:
So I have to ask: which 3d printer are you using - the results look very good!

It's a Makerbot Replicator II. Kind of old now, but it's still chugging along. It does take a lot of fiddling and fine tuning to keep it running well (I think they all do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you post your stl files? Game looks great, I preordered as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickhallen wrote:
Can you post your stl files? Game looks great, I preordered as well.

Once I'm all done I'll likely put the files up on Thingiverse with a non-commercial tag. Need to get this game finished, hopefully during this coming week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progress on the goblins. Still a bit more stickering to do, but they're looking good. I'm cutting each sticker out by hand with an exacto knife. There are a lot of cuts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished all of the player pawns last night.

Now all that's left is to craft the card decks, half the tiles, and then sticker the omen tokens! Getting closer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about finished the card decks today. Ran out of sleeves, so the dragon difficulty deck will have to wait.

For anyone thinking about building this pnp - it's a lot of work to be sure, and there's a fair cost involved. I bet between printer ink, card sleeves, sticker material, and 3D printing stuff I have a good $30 into this pnp. As well as many hours of cutting, trimming, assembling...not to mention photoshop work and 3D design time.

But I enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone pinged me about vault tokens yesterday. They wanted to sticker their purple cubes. That got my mind working. What would a 3D vault model look like?

Once I realized that the dragon is living below the main cavern it was easy. A vault could look like a portal, or grating down into the dragon's den. Set right into the floor, maybe into a low pedestal. Of course it would be locked. And you could peer through it and see all of the dragon's treasures. Piles and piles of gold, stacked right up to the grate.

So that's what I modeled. Here's my take on the vault token.

I even added a pile of gold coins under the grating. They're 3D printed separately, then midway through printing the stonework I pause the print and drop the gold in. The printer then builds the rest of the stonework around the gold slug. So it really is trapped!

Here's a photo of the gold insertion:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This is absolutely amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So - I want all of these! Amazing work

This set is perfect and should be offered to all right away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now that's a deluxe upgrade! Maybe I can get a 3D printer for Christmas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! I've finished!

A lot of cutting and pasting today, but I think it's finally done:

I used some little tubs from the dollar store to organize all of the bits. Each tub has a sticker on the lid showing what belongs inside. Should make setup and cleanup much easier. By the way, if you want those tubs, they're ten for a dollar in the kitchenware or possibly the snacks area of the dollar store. Great for board games.

I made a box for the game yesterday. For the box top I cleaned up the photo here on BGG of the black & white kickstarter sleeve. I figured that sort of blueprinty style was appropriate for a pnp build. Sent the file off to Costco's photo lab and two hours later I had a beautiful image large enough for the box front. For just four dollars. Very cool.

I made some tuck boxes for the cards as well. Thanks to Dave Fenton for uploading the card tuck box files. I did find that they weren't deep enough to hold all of my cards, but a few minutes in photoshop and I had his design expanded and ready to print. (Looks like they're set for 30mm deep, my card stack was 48mm! Probably because my cards are pnp).

Inspired by the card boxes I decided to try and make my own tuck box for the tiles. I wrapped the kickstarter sleeve art around the box and it turned out great.

We didn't have any white cardstock around the house, so I ended up grabbing random colors from what we did have. They printed out really well, nice to have a bit of color, the orange and yellow look great.

Now, the one sad moment. I got everything finished, took photos, and then went to pack it away in the box. Guess what doesn't fit? The tuck box for the tiles. It sticks up just a bit too high. cry

I predict in the near future I'll either be building a flatter tuck box for the tiles or I'll cut some spare cardboard to form bracket spacers in the corners of the game box to give it just a touch more height.

But that can wait for later. Now I have to play the ga...nope. I have some stuff to finish for people first. I'll get that done and then I'm playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did make a new tuckbox for the tiles. In this one the tiles sit in two stacks, side by side. So the box is now longer, but it's height is 15mm shorter. It fits in the box just fine now.

There's a cardboard divider in there as well. It separates the two stacks of tiles and makes the box a bit sturdier.

I would upload the design to the files section but I'm not sure it would be useful to anyone else. I don't have a published version of the game, so everything is scaled to fit my pnp tiles, which are 60mm x 60mm. A stack of half of the tiles sits about 45mm tall. If someone with a release copy wants to measure, and it's close to my measurements, let me know and I'll post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half a stack of published tiles are approximately 5.5cm:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasDN wrote:
Half a stack of published tiles are approximately 5.5cm:

Thanks for measuring!

I count 26 tiles in your stack, the rules list 45 tiles total. So I think that stack is a bit thicker than half the tiles would be. If I knock that down to twenty-two or twenty-three tiles it would be pretty close to the height of my pnp stacks. That's good.

How wide are the tiles? Mine are 60x60mm. Once I know that I can adjust my design and upload it. I'm betting the production tiles are a bit smaller due to the margin for the punch tool, something like 56x56mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:
How wide are the tiles? Mine are 60x60mm. Once I know that I can adjust my design and upload it. I'm betting the production tiles are a bit smaller due to the margin for the punch tool, something like 56x56mm.
The production tiles are 2x2 inches (50.8 x 50.8mm), which is the same as what they are in the PNP files assuming you printed them with no scaling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:

I count 26 tiles in your stack, the rules list 45 tiles total.

There are 52 tiles -- the rulebook forgot that 6 thief vault tiles were added, and that there is 1 entrance tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
bobpony wrote:

I count 26 tiles in your stack, the rules list 45 tiles total.

There are 52 tiles -- the rulebook forgot that 6 thief vault tiles were added, and that there is 1 entrance tile.

Thanks guys! This is all very helpful. Wish I could have gotten one of the production copies.

And now I see that I forgot to go back and craft the terrain tiles. So I have just a bit more cutting and pasting ahead of me!

And another redesign of the tile box to hold the additional six 'pit' tiles. Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.