Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really excited about this game.
Looks like a great drafting game, very nice looking a cool farming theme.
Love the 2 player rules, how they streamlined some of the stuff from Among the Stars.
This really looks like a solid game, yet there is very little buzz around this.

Nobody else out there really excited?
Or what's keeping you from going crazy for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to a lot of podcasts and I live on BGG, yet I really hadn't heard about this game until yesterday. It amuses me that I find this game much MORE interesting than Among the Stars. I'd have never guessed that I'd choose farming over sci-fi when it comes to themes. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking this one up when it comes out at the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited. I autopledged.

I don't have a lot to say; I'm just trying to figure out where this new game will fit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I don't have Among the Stars so will probably end up backing this game. I do have New Dawn which I think is different enough for me to warrant getting this one. But for those who do have AtS, along with any expansions for it, this game is nothing more than a re-themed version of AtS. Yes, it's streamlined, but essentially the same game. Nothing is really new or even evolutionary about it. My guess is those satisfied with AtS won't be keen on getting another version with a farming theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Well I don't have Among the Stars so will probably end up backing this game. I do have New Dawn which I think is different enough for me to warrant getting this one. But for those who do have AtS, along with any expansions for it, this game is nothing more than a re-themed version of AtS. Yes, it's streamlined, but essentially the same game. Nothing is really new or even evolutionary about it. My guess is those satisfied with AtS won't be keen on getting another version with a farming theme.

Lots of differences between Fields of Green and Among The Stars ...

From the designer:

" Since Fields of Green is inspired by Among the Stars, many people are curious if they are different enough or one of them is just a re-theme of the other.

Although the core of the game is similar in both games (card drafting and spatial element) there are some key differences in this game from Among the Stars:

- No setup time. You just shuffle the 4 piles and can start playing. If you want to add any promos (or if a future expansion is made) you just shuffle the new cards with the rest. There are no Basic / Special locations that require you to set the draw pile in a specific way first.

- No board. Scoring is done at the end of the game. You don't track points after every turn.

- You choose the card types in your starting hand each round. This way, you can make each round feel different and it is also a way to affect (to a degree) what the other players will have access to.

- There is an additional type of abilities, those that trigger at the end of every round (Harvest abilities) provided you are able to pay their Harvest cost. This ended up being a very significant change to the game (bigger than it may sound).

- There is an additional resource (Food) and an additional location associated with it (Silo).

- Resource management. In Among the Stars, every round you get 10 credits and the challenge is on how to spend them in the most efficient way - usually you don't care about generating more money because you will get more next round. In Fields of Green, you have to manage your resources (money and food) carefully and make sure that you can generate enough of them at the end of the round, to make it through the next one.

- The scope of the game is different. In Among the Stars the goal was always to maximize your points. In this one, if you want to win, you must build an effective engine: Generate Water through Water Towers, use it to water your Fields and generate Food. Use that Food to feed your animals, generating money, and use that money to build expensive Buildings that provide you with many points. Choosing each round a card based solely on the points it provides won't cut it.

These are the most important differences. Also keep in mind that although a few of the abilities ended up similar with some of the ones used in Among the Stars, most of them were made from scratch based on how this particular games functions.

All in all we believe that although it starts from a similar basis, it ends up providing a different playing experience."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
Love the 2 player rules, how they streamlined some of the stuff from Among the Stars.

Oh, but I am... according to my family, at least.

I would love to see solo rules for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Walsh
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am interested. I don't own AtS and didn't know anything about it really so to me if I could afford to get this AtS would be a re-skinning of Fields of Green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I see is that Artipia didn't advertised it (or really not enough) prior launching the kickstarter. The BGG page was there with almost no information about the game, and it's just this week that they finally release 2 pictures of some cards after asking them to do so to exactly achieve this, try to get some buzz (more pictures = more thumbs up = higher on the BGG hotlist = more people potentially learning about this game = better KS = better sale in the end). The game rules are not even published yet (and it's supposed t be an Essen 2016 release, which is in just 2 months).

IMO, a good kickstarter campaign start weeks prior the actual campaign, releasing some info about the came that is upcoming, then some art, then some more stuff like rules and more detailed game mechanics and then you start the actual campaign when a lot of people are really crazy about the game.

They did some advertising here on BGG, but IMO the best advertising is the people talking about your game. Thus the more buzz you create before the KS, the more actual sales you'll do.

Disclaimer: Although I may sound negative about it, I'm actually a backer of this game and I am eager to play the game. I'm just trying to explain my view of what could have been change to have a better KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:

Price for me, 50 bucks for tiles is too rich for poor old me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
Price for me, 50 bucks for tiles is too rich for poor old me!

Good point. 50$ seem a bit high for the moment, but probably with all the stretch goal it will be a fair price (I hope, time will tell us). We have to remember that for a lot of us (US, Canada and EU) the shipping is already included which is important not to forget. This is a good thing as usually a lot of Kickstarter games don't offer free shipping to Canada, thus I need to add between 7 and 12$ for shipping cost. So I see this as a 40$ KS project and not a 50$ one. But I know that this included shipping is not for everybody.

The big question I have thought (which is a completely different subject), is why this game is only a 2 to 4 players one? What prevent this card-drafting simultaneous action selection game to be a 2-6 players game? It should be able to, by adding just a bit more of silos and water towers (maybe 18 of each instead of 17), a few ressources/money/VP tokens (to make sure not to miss any) and if there are still more "normal" cards in the next stretch goals, we shouldn't lack any. This could make this game still more different from AtS and incite some people to pledge, as a lot of folk are often seeking game that scale well up to 6, as a lot of game cap at either 4 ou 5. If the designer could chime in on this one, I would be really interested to see the reasoning of this (as there is maybe something I don't see for now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the main things that's stopping this kickstarter from really exploding is the that it's too easy to look at Fields of Green and think, "Meh, this is just a farm skinned version of Among the Stars". At least that's what I first thought when I checked out the kickstarter. So I only skimmed through the gameplay and jumped to Rhado's final thoughts, which was a huge mistake.

Rhado either didn't do a good enough job in his final thoughts stressing the differences or I already had it in my head that this was just a reskin of AtS with an extra resource. But thankfully I was bored and decided to go back and watch his gameplay video a little closer. What amazing and well themed mechanics this game has! Now that I'm trying to type it out I'm finding it's a bit hard to describe but there just seems to be so much more depth to the actual engine building in this game than in AtS. How sensible the resource flow looks considering you have to have enough water for your crops for them to grow food that you can sell or feed your livestock. And then you are using the money you earn to purchase even more land or livestock or equipment or buildings to further expand your operation. And you have to consider how it all will trigger in harvest season so that you come out with enough of everything to make it until next harvest.

Bottom line:If more people who thought this was just a reskin would just go back and watch Rahdo's play-though, I think there would be a lot more AtS owners backing this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:
I think the main things that's stopping this kickstarter from really exploding is the that it's too easy to look at Fields of Green and think, "Meh, this is just a farm skinned version of Among the Stars". At least that's what I first thought when I checked out the kickstarter. So I only skimmed through the gameplay and jumped to Rhado's final thoughts, which was a huge mistake.

Rhado either didn't do a good enough job in his final thoughts stressing the differences or I already had it in my head that this was just a reskin of AtS with an extra resource. But thankfully I was bored and decided to go back and watch his gameplay video a little closer. What amazing and well themed mechanics this game has! Now that I'm trying to type it out I'm finding it's a bit hard to describe but there just seems to be so much more depth to the actual engine building in this game than in AtS. How sensible the resource flow looks considering you have to have enough water for your crops for them to grow food that you can sell or feed your livestock. And then you are using the money you earn to purchase even more land or livestock or equipment or buildings to further expand your operation. And you have to consider how it all will trigger in harvest season so that you have enough of everything to make it until next harvest.

Bottom line:If more people who thought this was just a reskin would just go back and watch Rahdo's play-though, I think there would be a lot more AtS owners backing this one.

Couldn't agree with you more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And in an effort to create some buzz I've been asking on Kickstarter for them to post more pictures here. For other backers maybe a nice idea to do so aswell and hope they oblige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:

Rhado either didn't do a good enough job in his final thoughts stressing the differences or I already had it in my head that this was just a reskin of AtS with an extra resource. But thankfully I was bored and decided to go back and watch his gameplay video a little closer. What amazing and well themed mechanics this game has! Now that I'm trying to type it out I'm finding it's a bit hard to describe but there just seems to be so much more depth to the actual engine building in this game than in AtS. How sensible the resource flow looks considering you have to have enough water for your crops for them to grow food that you can sell or feed your livestock. And then you are using the money you earn to purchase even more land or livestock or equipment or buildings to further expand your operation. And you have to consider how it all will trigger in harvest season so that you come out with enough of everything to make it until next harvest.

I agree the run-through is very good at showing how this all fits together in a wonderful farming-themed engine-building game and I've backed it. But is my wont, I then try to talk myself out of spending that money. So I'm wondering if the end of the year harvest doesn't become a bit fiddly, ruining the simple, clean AtS game I fell in love with. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
I agree the run-through is very good at showing how this all fits together in a wonderful farming-themed engine-building game and I've backed it. But is my wont, I then try to talk myself out of spending that money. So I'm wondering if the end of the year harvest doesn't become a bit fiddly, ruining the simple, clean AtS game I fell in love with. Thoughts?
I guess it depends what turns your crank. When Rhado showed how you can activate your plots in any order and how you really have to consider the order so you don't go beyond the max capacity of your storage, I thought, "That's so cool! Kind of a mini-puzzle I get to do at the end of each round". And everyone gets to work on that at the same time so it's not like everyone is waiting for you and it shouldn't add too much time to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
And in an effort to create some buzz I've been asking on Kickstarter for them to post more pictures here. For other backers maybe a nice idea to do so aswell and hope they oblige.

i've done the same a few days back and they put 2 pictures here. It was a good start but, to climb up the hotness, we need more pictures, maybe more videos, more review (they don't send a review copy just to Rahdo I guess) and a lot of people talking about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:
sodaklady wrote:
I guess it depends what turns your crank. When Rhado showed how you can activate your plots in any order and how you really have to consider the order so you don't go beyond the max capacity of your storage, I thought, "That's so cool! Kind of a mini-puzzle I get to do at the end of each round". And everyone gets to work on that at the same time so it's not like everyone is waiting for you and it shouldn't add too much time to the game.

I think it will not be fiddly. OxBaker sums up pretty well, as being like a mini puzzle to solve (especially if you didn't produce everything needed for the harvest time) and since every players is doing this simultaneously, it should not later the game flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to talk about it more on here... post what you think the next field will be or thoughts on the last goal reached or, well, anything!

I think it will be strawberries...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe an upgrade stretch goal next would be good, better card stock or linen finish?

More cards is also fun, an irrigation building that could like give 1 water to every adjacent field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
We need to talk about it more on here... post what you think the next field will be or thoughts on the last goal reached or, well, anything!

Ok Gretchen!

I think the next Field cards are strawberries too. But what they could do special? Not just water with 1 water and harvest 1 food, there should be something special like if I remember correctly strawberry plants only produce heavily for a few season then producer need to plant new plants. So maybe a great powerful card to have early but that decline with time, like produce 4 foods minus the year number (so 3 foods, then 2 foods, then 1 food, then no food).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
Maybe an upgrade stretch goal next would be good, better card stock or linen finish?

More cards is also fun, an irrigation building that could like give 1 water to every adjacent field.

I guess that if there is no stretch goal for upgraded card stock it's because they will already be of a good quality (which is a must for a card game IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
wren08 wrote:

Ok Gretchen!

I think the next Field cards are strawberries too. But what they could do special? Not just water with 1 water and harvest 1 food, there should be something special like if I remember correctly strawberry plants only produce heavily for a few season then producer need to plant new plants. So maybe a great powerful card to have early but that decline with time, like produce 4 foods minus the year number (so 3 foods, then 2 foods, then 1 food, then no food).

Oh, that's a great idea! Like the rabbits only in reverse. I'm sure it will be something unusual though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Salonen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The thing I find strange about Artipia Games is that even though I own Drumroll, Archon, Among the Stars and New Dawn, and Kickstarted Among the Tars and New Dawn, I didn't know anything about this game being on Kickstarter. They really should have sent me an email or Kickstarter message or something. I also almost missed the New Dawn Kickstarter back in the day... For the same reason. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, there should be a better promotion engine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree too. Usually compagnies using KS, do an update on their last KS to promote their next one, to meep potential buyers aware of the new thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.