United States
Fort Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yu-Gi-Oh!(Upper Deck Entertainment)

SETTING:A cartoon about kids playing a card game to save the world or something like that. The card game is kind of based on the one from the show, but is more balanced.

GAMEPLAY:The object of the game is to reduce your opponent's life points from 8000 to 0. To do this, you must attack them with your Monsters. Anyone who has played games like Magic should know how most of the cards work. Magics(now called Spells) can either be quick-play(instant), normal(sorceries), equipment and continuous(enchantments), and field cards, which represent where you are fighting. There are also traps, which are like magics that must be set first, and then activated on any turn.

OK, so you start your turn by drawing a card. You can then play an magic and traps you want, and can play 1 Monster. Each Monster has a star Level. Monsters Level 5-6 require that you sacrifice(tribute) one of your in play Monsters in order to bring them into play. Monsters Level 7+ require two tributes. Monsters go into play in either Attack or Defense position. This is one of the game's unique mechanics. Each Monster has an Attack and Defense value, but only uses one at a time, depending on it's position.

When you attack, choose another Monster to fight. Compare the two Monster's relevant points(only Attack position Monsters can attack). The lower powered Monster is destroyed, and, if it was in Attack position, the attacker deals life point damage equal to the difference between the two Monster's Attack poitns. Each of your Monsters can attack once per turn. Traps and magics can be played when you attack to swing the tide of battle.

The flow of a turn is pretty muchraw, play, attack, and play again(though you can only play 1 Monster per turn).

Strategy wise, the games offers plenty of choices. Unfortunately said choices are overcome by broken rares. See below.

ART:It's hard to make a general statement about the overal quality of the art, but most is decent or well-done. The cards are drawn in an anime style of art, which some like, and some don't(I like it). Unfortunately, the cards don't credit the artists, which is kind of annoying if you really like a certain card's art, but don't know who the artist is.

PACKAGING:Overpriced 9 card boosters, 50 card starter decks, 40 card structure decks, and gift tins containing a promo and several boosters. The Structure Decks are by far the best deal, as they give you a strategically constructed deck with multiple copies of some nice cards.

BEST TRAIT:In theory, the game is well balanced, with room for tactics, strategy, and bluffing. However...

WORST TRAIT:UDE totally ruined this game by exploiting the Yu-Gi-Oh! license. Boosters:4 bucks for 9 cards, of which only 2 or 3 will be good. The Structure decks attempt to fix this problem, but UD just hasn't learned that no one wants to play a game where they have to fork over $$$$$$$$$$$ for a competative deck.

As an example:I have two cards. Both are Level 5. One has 1600 ATK and 1800 DEF. The other has 2300 ATK, 1900 DEF, and the Trample ability. Guess which one is common and which one is ubermegasparklygivemeitiwantitRARE. It doesn't help that the rarity scheme goes:common, rare, super rare, ultra rare, and secret rare, plus the chase promos.

I could also bring up the banned list, but I won't...

-Insane Kobold

Variant game(read about somewhere on the geek):Both players pull out there wallets. Player with the most money wins. Credit cards automatically beat anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your commments on this are true to an extent...but I really think it depends on how you plan to play this game.

I have just gotten into Yu-Gi-Oh (I play with my 6 year old son) and I find the game to be a blast to play. Although everything is rather straightforward, there are often some strategic choices that really impact whether you win or lose. Whether to add a new level 4 or lower monster or to tribute one or more of your existing monsters for higher level monsters can often lead to victory or defeat, depending on the circumstances.

We began playing the game with the starter and structure decks. I also picked up one or two giant lots of cards on Amazon for less than $10 and got some old cards from neighbor's and coworker's kids who no longer play. The starter decks are decently balanced with stronger and weaker monsters and a good assortment of traps and spells. Now we play that the winner can take a card out of our "stash" of cards, which may include cards from other starter or structure decks. My son just loves adding cool new cards to his deck. And occasionally, we will take out a card that we do not care for or a paricularly weak monster.

Playing this game is a lot of fun this way and as I convert my friends, I plan to have pairs of decks to play with. My opponent can choose either deck that I bring and we can switch later if they like the other one better.

With that said, if you plan to play this game in local tournaments, some of the "rarer" cards may be stronger than the more common counterparts. So this game would take on more of a "gotta-get-it collectible" type flavor. But I have no interest in that...and I am not at the age where my friends would be creating killer decks with secret cards and coming to hunt me down. So just evaluating this game on it merits for fun...I give it an A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EonTai wrote:
Variant game(read about somewhere on the geek):Both players pull out there wallets. Player with the most money wins. Credit cards automatically beat anything else.

laughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.