Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which is a good board game for couples night? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
I am inviting a couple to drink with me and my gf. Any good board game to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few reccomendation ranging from casual and light, to heavy strategy, there are lots of good options, here are a few that are all a bit different:

Codenames

Tichu

Chinatown

Arcadia Quest

Puerto Rico

Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The above post lists some good games, but most of them will fail miserably if they are not gamers.

Codenames is a good suggestion though. Most of the others are probably too heavy.

Sushi Go! is another light game I highly recommend for your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

Can you give us some more details? The atmosphere of the night as well as the personalities and general expectations will all factor into what might be a good choice.

For example is the purpose of the night to play a hobby board game? Do all the people involved have experience playing modern board games? Have you played them with before and if so how did it go? Successes, failures?

Is the purpose of the night just to hang out and maybe there will be some gaming? Do you know the couple well or only one of them?

With some more details we can offer better suggestions for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Campbell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
These are games that I've used to introduce friends and family:

Ticket to Ride is simple, fun, and an easy intro to Euro gaming and scoring.

Splendor is a light/med game, but with a good level of strategy.

Dragonwood from Gamewright (or almost anything Gamewright) is fun and simple enough for anybody to give it a chance.

Love Letter is an easy to learn, easy to win cardgame.

Wits and Wagers (any version) is a fun guessing party game. I've taken this to every holiday with my family last 8 months and it is always a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
venrondua wrote:
jcgonzmo wrote:

Can you give us some more details? The atmosphere of the night as well as the personalities and general expectations will all factor into what might be a good choice.

For example is the purpose of the night to play a hobby board game? Do all the people involved have experience playing modern board games? Have you played them with before and if so how did it go? Successes, failures?

Is the purpose of the night just to hang out and maybe there will be some gaming? Do you know the couple well or only one of them?

Drink, chat, chill, casual

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
* No Thanks!
* Sushi Go!
* Coloretto
* Ticket to Ride
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
venrondua wrote:
jcgonzmo wrote:

Drink, chat, chill, casual

Some card filler games can work in those situation.

Circus Flohcati
Coloretto
No Thanks!
For Sale
Incan Gold

There are also some "party" games that are more casual in nature and fun to just play and pass the time with.

Concept (I really like this one for just playing for the fun of guessing)
Dixit
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Time's Up! for your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit,
Mysterium,
Codename
Are the obvious choices

Takenoko,
Five tribes,
Parade,
Code of nine...

Are my current favorite for such occasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Fincastle
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost exclusively with my wife. In no particular order:

Jaipur - Known as one of the best couples games
...and then, we held hands. - a game that requires teamwork with out talking stragety. You have to pay attention to your partner and take care of them!
CV - a fun game where you go through the story of life
The Castles of Burgundy - so smooth with 2 players!
Pandemic - a solid co-op
Burgle Bros. - another solid co-op with a very engaging theme (it really feels like you are in oceans 11)
Paperback - this is a deck building word game. It can be played against one another or co-op
Airlines Europe - so smooth with 2 and so fun
Shipyard - a great titanic era building game. Fantastic with 2
Happy Pigs - this game is adorable!!!
Orléans with Orléans: Invasion - the base game is a gem, but the expansion makes it into an even better co-op!!
Targi - a fantastic 2 player game
Troyes - so smooth with 2
Peloponnes - one of the best bidding games for 2
Keyflower - just a blast
Dominion - a fast and fun 2 player experience
Kahuna - another fast and fun 2 player experience
Above and Below - great art and atmosphere. Not to mention you have such an immersive theme and you get to read short descriptive stories to one another

My wife and I enjoy games where there isn't harsh conflict. No backstabbing or destroying one another. I hope you find this helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Ferris
msg tools
If you have an iPhone/iPad, then I recommend List 'Em.

List 'Em brings the essence of a board game to the mobile device. A fast paced name game for 2 - 4 players or teams.

A random category is selected and a list of 10 associated items is generated. The players must names as many things related to the category within the time limit - but only answers on the list count. The lists are randomly generated and change between games! There is a brilliant range of categories.

It's free to try:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/list-em/id1114709768?mt=8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alextnorris wrote:

...and then, we held hands. - a game that requires teamwork with out talking stragety. You have to pay attention to your partner and take care of them!
Pandemic - a solid co-op
Burgle Bros. - another solid co-op with a very engaging theme (it really feels like you are in oceans 11)
Paperback - this is a deck building word game. It can be played against one another or co-op
Orléans with Orléans: Invasion - the base game is a gem, but the expansion makes it into an even better co-op!!
Keyflower - just a blast
Above and Below - great art and atmosphere. Not to mention you have such an immersive theme and you get to read short descriptive stories to one another

My wife and I enjoy games where there isn't harsh conflict. No backstabbing or destroying one another. I hope you find this helpful!

I think you mis-read the OP's intent.. or maybe I did? But I thought he was looking for a game to play with another couple, so he's looking for a 4 player game, that is easy to introduce / teach and play. Usually, when playing with another couple, you also want a game that encourages more player to player interaction, but not necessarily "take-that".

My quick recommendations:

Harbour
Bohnanza
Codenames
Splendor
Dixit

Settlers of Catan, always works well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

Codenames this is a great couples game. Easy to teach, plenty of fun & laughs. Sometimes this is the only game we play all night, it's that fun & light.

Pandemic this is also a great couples game since it's a coop that plays well with 4 players. It heavier and longer than Codenames, but since it's a coop the learning curve is lessened.

San Juan this game plays great with 4 but not quite as "couples" as the above two, since it's everyone for themselves. It's not hard to teach since the cards explain themselves for the most part. Not too heavy but a great mechanic nevertheless.

Don't forget classics like Dominoes & Farkle (aka "Hot Dice").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
Alextnorris wrote:

Pandemic - a solid co-op
Keyflower - just a blast

I think you mis-read the OP's intent.. or maybe I did? But I thought he was looking for a game to play with another couple, so he's looking for a 4 player game, that is easy to introduce / teach and play. Usually, when playing with another couple, you also want a game that encourages more player to player interaction, but not necessarily "take-that".

My quick recommendations:

Harbour
Bohnanza
Codenames
Splendor
Dixit

Settlers of Catan, always works well too.

No, you we correct. The OP said he was inviting another couple over for drinks and a game. So the implementation cation was quite clear we are talking about 4 players. So this user read the title of the thread and did not bother to read the post.

Not sure I would recommend Harbour for this situation, though. An economic worker placement game with a chaotic market may not work well with a casual crowd and drinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I host a few different "non-gamer" couples at different times during the month and these are some games we have found that work.

Ticket to Ride
Trekking: The National Parks
Codenames
Jamaica
Dutch Blitz
Dead Man's Draw
Sheriff of Nottingham
Tokaido
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert and Pandemic are easy to learn co-ops. I somehow forgot about Flashpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Krause
United States
GRAND RAPIDS
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often have these sort of nights at my house with a number of different couples. (I am truly blessed to have a wife who loves this sort of thing.) That said many of the games that are being suggested are games I've met with failure before in the past. We want everybody to love strategy games, like we do, but the truth is most people are intimidated by the rules and the retaliative skill level of the other competitors. So until you can suss that out, I'm going to make some fairly safe suggestions.

Snake Oil: If you know the couple coming over likes party games and are a bit outgoing than Snake oil is a fantastic choice. It also gets more lively the more drinks you pile on.

Apples to Apples: Ignore the haters. There are few games out there that are as easy to pick up and as fun to play as Cards is. Not everybody likes a ton of strategy in their games, and for those people you have cards.

Balderdash: It's a tried and true classic of an era long passed, but it still bring people to tears laughing every time I bring it out.

Say Anything: It's like apples to apples but better in every single way. Well unless you're not too creative, in which case you're better off sticking with the original.

Timeline: Timeline is cheap, super easy to play, and doesn't require a ton of knowledge guess your way into winning. If you're looking for a fun filler on a couples game night this is always a success.

Wits and Wagers: Why anybody plays trivial pursuit when this game exists is beyond me. If you're unfamiliar with the game simply look it up on the geek.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - This little social deduction game has way more depth than a game of werewolf without over complicating the rules. It plays in about 30 minutes and people will be asking where you got this game when it's done.

If you really feel the need to bust out the strategy games then here are a few suggestions I've had success for in the past.

Machi Koro: It's like Catan, but easier to understand. Yes, you lose the trading, which is the best part of Catan, but it's still a ton of fun to roll, get resources, and build your little Japanese city. I will caution you however, do not play with the expansions. Not only are they poorly designed they slow the game down to a crawl.

Splendor: 3 possible actions 15 total points. It's easy to understand and plays super quick. I've never had a bad couples night busting this one out.

Pandemic: Forbidden Island is a simpler game, but Pandemic is a much richer experience with higher stakes. It there's something magical about working together as a team trying to rid the world of horrible diseases.

Tokaido: Is a worthy successor to the roll and move style game most people are familiar with. The hardest rule to explain is the items, otherwise all score is easy. My wife and all of her friends love this game and will often pull it out when the girls want to play something a little lighter than the boys.

The Game: I know the artwork stinks, but it's actually a fantastic little co-op game. I've busted this out with all sorts of people from old to the very young and had success with every single one of them.

Ticket to Ride: It's easy to understand, and even easier to play. It can be a bit long if you have people who get board easily or are prone to AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations After Dark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
krauseng wrote:
I often have these sort of nights at my house with a number of different couples. (I am truly blessed to have a wife who loves this sort of thing.) That said many of the games that are being suggested are games I've met with failure before in the past. We want everybody to love strategy games, like we do, but the truth is most people are intimidated by the rules and the retaliative skill level of the other competitors. So until you can suss that out, I'm going to make some fairly safe suggestions.

I agree most people are "intimidated by the rules", but I also think most people are interested in learning about board games, but are somewhat afraid to ask. If both couples know that board games will be played as part of the night and they still show up, it means that they're still interested. I the suggest that the OP take advantage of that interest.

Most of the games that have been recommended are fairly simple to teach and learn, and the intimidation factor goes way down when you have at least 1 person who is familiar with the game or at least the game mechanic. IMO, teaching and learning adds to the intimacy with friends, and will transition to a sense of accomplishment when the game is successfully completed..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.