6 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Misdirect help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Prine
msg tools
Hello guys,

This situation caused a great deal of contention during my most recent game, and our ruling was unfavorable to Dracula, but the hunters thought themselves to be correct. I'd like a community consensus to verify.

Begin Dracula phase: Dracula slides all hideouts the the right, leaving an empty space on the first location of the trail.

Dracula then attempts to play Misdirect to recover the the hideout from the second space of the trail.

The hunters argued that this was illegal, because it counts as removing Dracula's current location. Dracula argued that his current location was the first space on the trail (which contained no location) and therefore the move was legal.

Can I get some help with this?

Thanks,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordOftheWizards wrote:
Hello guys,

This situation caused a great deal of contention during my most recent game, and our ruling was unfavorable to Dracula, but the hunters thought themselves to be correct. I'd like a community consensus to verify.

Begin Dracula phase: Dracula slides all hideouts the the right, leaving an empty space on the first location of the trail.

Dracula then attempts to play Misdirect to recover the the hideout from the second space of the trail.

The hunters argued that this was illegal, because it counts as removing Dracula's current location. Dracula argued that his current location was the first space on the trail (which contained no location) and therefore the move was legal.

Can I get some help with this?

Thanks,
Joe

According to the reference guide on page 7, Dracula's current location is the leftmost location card on the trail. If there is no card in the first space therefore, the leftmost card is the one that had just slid into space 2.

The hunters were correct the use of Misdirect in this case was illegal. It is clear that Dracula is not meant to use Misdirect to stay in the same location, that requires the use of a different Power card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with DaveD, though I can't see how it's either self-evident or stated in the Rules Reference. However the LTP makes it pretty clear on p15:

Quote:
Misdirect: This card allows Dracula to clear a hideout on
the trail. To play “Misdirect,” Dracula chooses a
hideout on the trail and clears it. Then, he places
“Misdirect” on the space of the trail that was
cleared. After placing “Misdirect” on the trail,
Dracula places a card (location or power) on the
first space of the trail as normal. Dracula cannot
use “Misdirect” to clear a hideout that contains a
power card, Castle Dracula, his current location,
or a location that is associated with “Hide” (see below).

Usually the LTP isn't considered authoritative. But in this case I think it's sufficient to conclude this was an omission from the Rules Reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
I agree with DaveD, though I can't see how it's either self-evident or stated in the Rules Reference. However the LTP makes it pretty clear on p15:

Quote:
Misdirect: This card allows Dracula to clear a hideout on
the trail. To play “Misdirect,” Dracula chooses a
hideout on the trail and clears it. Then, he places
“Misdirect” on the space of the trail that was
cleared. After placing “Misdirect” on the trail,
Dracula places a card (location or power) on the
first space of the trail as normal. Dracula cannot
use “Misdirect” to clear a hideout that contains a
power card, Castle Dracula, his current location,
or a location that is associated with “Hide” (see below).

Usually the LTP isn't considered authoritative. But in this case I think it's sufficient to conclude this was an omission from the Rules Reference.

It doesn't actually need to say that it can't be on the current location in either the LtP or the rules reference because it it stated on the card. The question relates to what constitutes the "current location" and that is in the reference guide as opposed to the LtP which only says that it corresponds to the first space on the trail, which clearly is not the case all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD wrote:
It doesn't actually need to say that it can't be on the current location in either the LtP or the rules reference because it it stated on the card.

Ahh - I did not realise that, sorry! I only have my laptop with rules on it, not the actual cards to hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Orion3T wrote:
[q="DaveD"]Ahh - I did not realise that, sorry! I only have my laptop with rules on it, not the actual cards to hand.

There is a useful FoD Cards Reference in the BGG files section, which shows the text on all cards in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.