Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just created a Facebook group to organize a few folks in the area I already know to play the game. It's a closed group, basically just so we can keep spammers out, but if you are in the area and a fan of the game - please request an add to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Buckett
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great idea and nice presentation for your group. Best of luck in your high seas adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need one of these in the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana area ...but I'm not the one to organize it shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightmoss wrote:
Great idea and nice presentation for your group. Best of luck in your high seas adventures.

Thanks! Nice thing about Facebook groups is that you can host files to them (for scenarios, 'offline' copy of the rules, etc), host discussions, and - this is the big one - schedule events on them.

And since basically everyone's smartphone everywhere can sync with Facebook, it lets you post an event that everyone can then see on their phone calendar.

!SUPER HANDY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Miracle
msg tools
I'm one of those luddites not on facebook, but I am located in the Seattle Eastside--where are you guy situated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredmiracle wrote:
I'm one of those luddites not on facebook, but I am located in the Seattle Eastside--where are you guy situated?

Portland, although we have folks up in Washington interested as well.

(I'd certainly recommend Facebook, if for no other reason than tracking game groups you want to get event notifications/product updates/etc for. You really don't have to do the 'social' aspect at all - my wife has all of 0 'friends', for example. She just follows the local newspaper, community and park groups for our area, farmer's markets and local store and restaurant pages, etc. Never chats, never posts anything, but still finds it super useful!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...I'm one of those Luddites as well. I do have a FB account, but really have never used it. Now I may try to actually try to track some useful stuff instead of seeing pics of dogs from folks I don't know shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Hmmm...I'm one of those Luddites as well. I do have a FB account, but really have never used it. Now I may try to actually try to track some useful stuff instead of seeing pics of dogs from folks I don't know shake

Yeah, just...don't "follow" or "like" or "friend" anyone that you don't want to get updates from.

That's about the extent of the trick to it.

Local newspapers will all but certainly have a FB page, usually worth following. Local grocery stores (handy for catching sales or events if you don't want to have to sort through the flyers) the same. USUALLY local restaurants will, as well (nice place to catch the daily specials - often with pics, which can be helpful). Our local taprooms often post their beer lists (since it changes often) to their FB pages. Local parks post events, classes and activities, seasonal highlights, etc. Your city council probably also has a page, and many neighborhood associations now do, and CERTAINLY your local police will.

Just...lots and lots of use to it, aside from the social stuff. It's easy enough to think of, if you use it that way, as an 'enriched' RSS feed - just getting content you subscribe to, but rather than only text updates, you can get pictures as well. I'd strongly suggest to simply be vigilant about making sure it DOES know your preferences - only follow/like/etc stuff you actually want updates on. If you see posts that annoy you, just click that 'x' in the upper right corner of the post and say 'stop showing me this' - FB is quite good at very quickly customizing the feed you get to only show you stuff you actually find value in.

(And then, of course, the whole game group thing is just icing on the cake - being able to schedule events and have a good way to communicate out cancellations, find out who can or can't make the event, post event restriction or rules updates, etc...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have run a few events in the area, lately, and had a number of new folks join up!

At the moment, up to 15 folks in the group - if interested in the game in the area, check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.