Popular Tags: [View All]
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of us who regularly participate in math trades often end up mailing or receiving from the same small group of traders.

I want to mail games out in a timely manner after a math trade, but often if I could just wait until the next math trade has completed, I could combine shipping and mail out 2 games to the same person in one box. And I know someone could do the same for me.

Think about the difference between mailing 2 games at $8 shipping ea time vs. 2 games in one box for $10. Not to mention you buy delivery confirmation only once, and haul one less box to the post office.

So, I have a suggestion for a "club": The OK to Wait Club. If you indicate in your listing that you are a member of this club, that means you practice the saintly virtues of patience and thrift. Practically, it means that you are willing to wait until after the next math trade to receive your games from 2 math trades, IF you enter the next trade, and obviously if you are due to receive 2 game batches from the same club member. (If you don't end up participating in the next math trade, you geekmail your senders and tell them to go ahead and mail).

If this is a bit anxiety-producing, we could set up criteria for membership so only the most prolific traders with great feedback can participate.

Does this sound completely bonkers, or is it workable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Membership would have to be limited to highly trusted members. Perhaps even moderated by an individual or group that could admit people to the club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it's unlikely that there would be too many shipping overlaps across Math Trades, so probably 80%+ of the items would wind up getting shipped with a delay and no savings in shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it's a good theory, i often try to work out a secondary trade with people i'm sending games to in order to save on shipping.

i actually did have two back to back math trades where i sent my trade to the same person.

In order for this to really work i think there would need to be regularly scheduled math trades.

It could throw the trading off a bit though too, if u were waiting to trade a game to someone and the next trade one may ONLY want to trade with that same user...which would make the math trades a little imbalanced IMO.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Perry
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Ex-Term-In-Ate
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'd be only wanted to send to the same person I'm already supposed to send to.

[joke]I'll have a new shipping policy.

I'll ship to starspangledgirl for free. Everyone else pays actual shipping

of course, replace starspangledgirl with who ever I already have to ship to.[/joke]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a cool idea... and prompted in no small part by the fact that Starspangledgirl and I have been shipping stuff back and forth over the past couple of math trades...

I would happily participate in such a club, though I do think that the vast majority of games/trades would go through as normal. However, as long as "club members" have the ability to "opt out" for a given game/trade (i.e. "I really need/want this game now, so please send now"), this is workable.

This all reminds me of an old Woody Allan line:

I refuse to be a member of any club that would accept me as a member...

Best,
Stephen, "The Evil One"
--TEO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That line originates at least as far back as Groucho Marx (though Woody Allen may have also used it!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As David said above, I don't think there will be that many overlaps in shipping, which will end in more delays than saved money. If you're always shipping back and forth with the same person, maybe you ought to consider keeping your trade list updated and working out individual trades?

The other problem I see is that this methodology doesn't benefit the receiver at all. It's the sender that saves money. The person receiving has to wait and doesn't get anything for the delay. If the sender sent some of the saved money in the box when they shipped to the receiver, then at least the person waiting gets some benefit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The receiver benefits by possibly being canonized and definitely getting into heaven.

OK, seriously, it doesn't seem like this idea will be very practical. I was just musing aloud. Carry on as usual...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
The receiver benefits by possibly being canonized and definitely getting into heaven.

OK, seriously, it doesn't seem like this idea will be very practical. I was just musing aloud. Carry on as usual...

It's a nice thought though. I think we should get thank you cards from the post office for all of the business we are giving them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.