Scott Armstrong
msg tools
So according to Talton on this forum and the meet the fighters page on Level 99, Kaden's ability is to draw two cards, and adds the EX copy to his gauge instead of his discard.

According to the card itself, his ability is merely to draw a card each time he plays an EX attack.

I assumed this was a nerf, but as recently as the Box 2 announcement on Wednesday, the intent seems to have been to give him the two cards and bonus gauge.

Which is correct - the text on the card, or everywhere else? The former seems to make him almost unplayably bad - his unique ability is one of the weaker ones, and his special moves are stiff and unreliable. On the other hand, the latter seems to make him overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I copied the text from the old announcement without reading it... D:

The text that is on the cards is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Cool, thanks.

I take it some issues came out in playtesting? I'd certainly be happy to find out I'm wrong about Kaden being underpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
We found Kaden very strong with the original ability. While he's not exceptionally powerful, he can hold his own against most of the cast, and has an array of tools that allow him to take advantage of his opponent's weaknesses.

As an EX character, he requires a specific play style–be ready to spend a lot of time changing cards and boosting to get the pairs you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Kaden really strong and can do heaps of damage. He can retrieve cards from his discard so can run back powerful EX attacks. Avoid being predictable though, my daughter smashed me when I tried to use the same pair the third time round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaden is one of my favorite characters to play, since he's deceptively powerful but requires some strategy to set up. He's very satisfying to use well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
So I posted a small treaties a few hours ago about why I don't think Kaden is very powerful.

I deleted it. Instead, I think I'll play Kaden a bunch and see.

But I remain skeptical!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devet wrote:
I deleted it. Instead, I think I'll play Kaden a bunch and see.

Yay! Experience is always better than theorycrafting. I remain skeptical too. But I look forward to hearing your results!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.