Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Guilds of London» Forums » General

Subject: People hesitant to place anywhere unless they'll likely win a tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed an odd trend for people to rarely want to put anyone on a tile unless it seems like they are "highly likely" to be first place on it. Despite the 2nd place rewards being somewhat appealing much of the time, people seem to be very hesitant to place on a tile that is not likely to trigger unless they can trigger it by themselves (and then the other players tend to not try and barge in). This has also resulted in the beadle getting stuck on a high-requirement tile that nobody ever wants to place on.

This seems more like groupthink than a flaw with the game itself, but it has resulted in some dull rounds, and the beadle getting stuck also feels anti-climactic. I was able to nab some nice 2nd place rewards with just one meeple a few times, but it didn't seem to be enough to get anyone else to really fight for anything.

Has anyone else run into this? (Perhaps there's a chance we were playing something incorrectly?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I think group-think is probably the correct assessment.

We had the beadle move around quite a bit (via card play), and none of the rounds were dull by any means (the Neutral liverymen will keep players on their toes and can be brutal).

Plus several players had a card that resolves a tile immediately, so that was something else to watch.

I'd say that at least half (if not more) of our tiles were fought over.

2nd place rewards are important, this is a great feature of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game I played, the second place rewards were very much worth going for (especially a tile with double neutral liveryman). I'd say that after the "negotiation" step was completed, about 50% of the time second place awards were awarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once but it seems if you're the only one getting all the 2nd place rewards that's gonna be better than an occasional 1st place reward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.