Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Variants

Subject: remaking armada in wood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guido Kauer
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
I want to try if i can come up with a wooden version of this game. I recently did that with x-wing and that worked. https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23472196#23472196
It turned out quite nice so now I want to try armada.

Since i don't have the core set I was wondering if anyone who has the game could help me by providing me with all the dimensions of the bases, rulers, templates etc. And the distances on them.

I could buy it myself but its a little expensive if all do is measure the parts for this project.

The help would be specific measurement that I ask by email as exact as possible in mm. I'll provide drawings to clarify the ones that I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Need the dimensions of armada... All of them
The wooden X-Wing looks great! If you can do just as good of a job on Armada it'll look fantastic.

From the Rules Reference Guide: "Each ship has a size class: small, medium or large.
Small ships use the 41mm x 71 mm base
Medium ships use the 61mm x 102mm base
Large ships use the 76mm x 192mm base."

Unfortunately I'm away from my calipers so I don't know exactly how long the segments of the range ruler are. The RRG says the range ruler is 1 foot long but the distances and range bands are all quite variable.

Also, I don't have any figures on the manuever tool. That may be the biggest challenge to make with CNC'd wood, it's really a pretty complicated piece.

I don't have exact numbers but the squadron bases feel about 25mm to me.

Hope that helps! What other measurements would you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have experience in 3D files and have TTS, grab the Armada mod. It has obj files for all of the game components. Assuming that the files are 1 to 1 scaled, you should be able to gather what you need from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kauer
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
swankidelic wrote:
The wooden X-Wing looks great! If you can do just as good of a job on Armada it'll look fantastic.

From the Rules Reference Guide: "Each ship has a size class: small, medium or larsge.
Small ships use the 41mm x 71 mm base
Medium ships use the 61mm x 102mm base
Large ships use the 76mm x 192mm base."

Unfortunately I'm away from my calipers so I don't know exactly how long the segments of the range ruler are. The RRG says the range ruler is 1 foot long but the distances and range bands are all quite variable.

Also, I don't have any figures on the manuever tool. That may be the biggest challenge to make with CNC'd wood, it's really a pretty complicated piece.

I don't have exact numbers but the squadron bases feel about 25mm to me.

Hope that helps! What other measurements would you need?

Well to be honest I'd need all the significant ones. the ship models are not important to the rules of play so not those. But the ones that make a difference in movement and attack are crucial. the sizes of tokens and dials are a nice to have to aproximate the size that all are comfortable with.

I will make all the asked measurements specific via Email but first I wanted to ask if someone would be willing to help me in this matter.

here is an example how I would ask specific measurements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kauer
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
err404 wrote:
If you have experience in 3D files and have TTS, grab the Armada mod. It has obj files for all of the game components. Assuming that the files are 1 to 1 scaled, you should be able to gather what you need from there.

I tried it and it worked to an extend but I cannot be sure how acurate the dimensions were that the makers of those mods used. also the scale is an issue. direct measuring would be the most preferred way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damien_psi wrote:
Well to be honest I'd need all the significant ones. the ship models are not important to the rules of play so not those. But the ones that make a difference in movement and attack are crucial. the sizes of tokens and dials are a nice to have to aproximate the size that all are comfortable with.

I will make all the asked measurements specific via Email but first I wanted to ask if someone would be willing to help me in this matter.

Yeah, I have a pair of digital calipers just for this purpose. I'm away from home at the moment, though, so I don't have a way to provide those =( Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kauer
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
swankidelic wrote:
damien_psi wrote:

Yeah, I have a pair of digital calipers just for this purpose. I'm away from home at the moment, though, so I don't have a way to provide those =( Sorry!

going home anytime soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll see what I can swing, but I can't guarantee it'll be soon....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Mayer
msg tools
mbmb

This was taken from the small base. All measurements are in "mm" - you'll notice that I added a red line. This represents the way that the "wall" of the notch area occurs. The thickness of this wall is the 2.17mm measurement.

Also, I added a quick clarification about the "height" of the notch and the flat area above it.

If you're going to 3d Print one of these, I would recommend adding some "expansion" room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Kauer
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
been busy so here are the results so far:
http://imgur.com/a/mEGvg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.