Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a copy of Downwood Tales (DT) at my flgs for cheap and thought about picking it up just to have some more cute minis and plenty replacement parts. But I was wondering about how to go about making a small battle/skirmish game using all the extra minis, and using Tail Feathers and Mice and Mystics for the core mechanics.

Skirmish rules with the birds and trees already exist, of course, with TF, but would a skirmish game with complete units led by a character or two be feasible on a table/battlefield of static tiles? (In other words, no trees or birds -- as cool as they are.)

Between M&M, DT and Tf, you have complete units available (half a dozen each) of Rats, Snag Commandos, Faeries, Fire Belly Newts, Froglodytes and Oakguard, with enough hero/villain figures on both sides to use as leaders.
I'm thinking 12-24 figures per side -- two or three units with a few characters.

Has anyone already tried this?
Would it work?
Would it be fun or just get bogged down?
Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Since the game rules are so bird-centric, I would consider trying another ruleset. One that comes to mind is Song of Blades and Heroes.

They just released an updated version, and it's great. More suited for ground combat, and the rules are so customizable that you could easily adapt it for mice, rats and newts!

Edit: I popped over to their page, and there's a version of Song of Blades and Heroes for animals, Song of the Splintered Lands! Check this out:

http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_6&produ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you not use the original mice and Mystics rules but instead of being regulated to squares on a tile translate movement value to inches? You'd have to create comparable movement values for the monsters. Roaches get 3, rats 2 or something to that effect.

LoS remains in the same. You'll have to figure out something for initiative and turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Cerra
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics and Tail Feathers use the same basic combat system which is simple and easy to use, so I wanted to stay with those rules/basic mechanics.

I was also thinking of translating movement to inches, but I'd also like to see if it's viable to simply keep the battles on the tiles (a battlefield being 4x2 or 3x3 tiles large, for example.)

For initiative/turn order, we could just use the initiative cards already available (and there are cards for all the animals already.) Perhaps they could be shuffled into a deck, and the next card drawn of the top of this deck is who gets activated (a mechanic used by the game Confrontation many years ago.)

Or just use the initiative track from M&M

Edit: There are unit cards for TF and M&M figures; and there are initiative cards for M&M and DT figures, but neither unit nor initiative cards that include figures from all three boxes. I'll have to go through my multitudes of cards to doublecheck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.