Subject: Which difficulty is best? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do the different difficulty options affect the game? Which would you reccomend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy board, summer weather if you have any new players.

I do not have much experience with the difficult board, but I would say it and the winter weather make the game equally more difficult.

I have played once with both and that was brutal.

I personally like the more open easy board with the winter weather tiles, but only if everyone has a game or two of the easy game under their belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Easy board, summer weather if you have any new players.

I do not have much experience with the difficult board, but I would say it and the winter weather make the game equally more difficult.

I have played once with both and that was brutal.

I personally like the more open easy board with the winter weather tiles, but only if everyone has a game or two of the easy game under their belt.

It's an interesting question; I've only ever played with the Summer board, and I've always felt that the game was lacking, somehow. I guess I'd like the board to feel more crowded, and I assumed that the Winter board would do that. (But everyone I've played it with got scared when they heard the word 'harder'.)

Your comment suggests that it's perhaps no fun, when everyone is really struggling to survive? Is there any marked difference in playing on the Winter board (besides not being able to climb as far up)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
Your comment suggests that it's perhaps no fun, when everyone is really struggling to survive? Is there any marked difference in playing on the Winter board (besides not being able to climb as far up)?

I would say that it feels a bit tighter, if not spacially on the board then definitely in the margin for error. The hard board is just harder, by no means is it less fun. I really like the struggle and thinner margins, but I also do not think that is a good introduction to the game and I am teaching this game more often than not.

I prefer the difficulty presented by the weather tiles and their variable order to the difficult side of the board, that's all. There isn't much about K2 that I don't like other than I don't play it enough. If I had a regular group who played this 10+ times a year, I d definitely be experimenting with the advanced difficulties more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also mix and match the weather. I also don't play this nearly as regularly as I'd like, so I usually use half summer and half winter weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Always use the harder side. Tighter and nastier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Kobe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the hard board with Summer weather easier than vice versa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jools wrote:
Is the hard board with Summer weather easier than vice versa?

The hard board with summer weather is harder than the easy board with winter weather in my experience, but I don't have any statistics to back that claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.