Subject: When is a door not a door? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a mythos effect that stated that a monster burst through an unopened door.

Does that mean a door that has an "Explore" marker on it? Or does it mean any door pictured on a tile?

In our situation, one investigator was in a room with no openable doors (they had all either been explored/opened or we had not been instructed to place an explore token on the door), and all the other investigators were in a room where ALL the doors had been explored/opened.

If we let the monster burst through an unusable door then it would be left open but we couldn't have used it (since there was no token in the app to use), which didn't really seem to make sense... So we ruled that it didn't count as a door for this mythos effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any door. Best to picture all doors closed eve if they don't have an explore marker on them. Makes sense for range as well. And doors on the outside without an explore marker, see them as leading to parts that aren't interesting to investigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it's ajar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting. I haven't had a mythos event that stated that. I would have just assumed all doors were naturally closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen this either unless you are talking about
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the hunting horror in the first scenario, and then it isn't worded as you say it is

I would assume if it's NOT that instance, then if the mythos specifies UNOPENED door, it means previously unexplored.

Doors are neither open nor closed. You can never "range" through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
We had a mythos effect that stated that a monster burst through an unopened door.

Does that mean a door that has an "Explore" marker on it? Or does it mean any door pictured on a tile?

In our situation, one investigator was in a room with no openable doors (they had all either been explored/opened or we had not been instructed to place an explore token on the door), and all the other investigators were in a room where ALL the doors had been explored/opened.

If we let the monster burst through an unusable door then it would be left open but we couldn't have used it (since there was no token in the app to use), which didn't really seem to make sense... So we ruled that it didn't count as a door for this mythos effect.

When the app says that, it also shows you on the map where the monster goes, you don't choose. It is just flavour text. Just place the monster where the picture of the monster is on the map on the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cloud64 wrote:
When it's ajar.

If it's ajar, can you open it? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
HisDivineShadow wrote:

When the app says that, it also shows you on the map where the monster goes, you don't choose. It is just flavour text. Just place the monster where the picture of the monster is on the map on the app.

It wasn't that one - it was something different. I can't remember the exact phrasing; I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cloud64 wrote:
When it's ajar.

I'll set 'em up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnjoyRC wrote:
cloud64 wrote:
When it's ajar.

Have you tried wrapping a towel around the top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:
cloud64 wrote:
When it's ajar.

Tapping it with a utensil?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
EnjoyRC wrote:
Postmark wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:
cloud64 wrote:
When it's ajar.

Tapping it with a utensil?

I usually just tap the door on the edge of the kitchen counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.