Subject: Level 1 technologies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jethro Hendrickx
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've played EmDo about 10 times is the last few years, and recently got back into it. My group seems to think that research is a bit underpowered, and often the simple approach of planet spamming with Col / warfare seems the best strategy. I feel that's partly because we haven't been able to properly (ab)use the level 1 techs, so I'd like to get some discussion about them going. I'll start with my findings so far, please let me know what you think.

All improved technologies need taking the research role and 2 other science symbols. It's not easy to follow this role, and I don't know if it's worth it to lead it, as the efficiency gain from this card may not be worth this effort and the cluttering of your deck with a research card (assuming you don't want to go heavy on science).

Improved research: Seems the best of the improved techs, as it's the best upgrade from the base action (+1 card draw and allows to get rid of 1 more card). Also most decks will profit from some thinning from time to time.

Improved trade: Getting 1 VP instead of needing a produce-trade seems OK as well.

Improved Colonize: Can be used to settle a planet but not the planet after that (this card gets tucked under that planet). So you won't use this card a lot.

Improved Survey: I hardly use the survey action, basically only when I need a lot of warfare / colonize / science for my role. But there are often more important things to do. So it seems very situational.

Improved warfare: I use warfare as a role to get fighters, and as an action to attack. Improved warfare doesn't improves the attack, the only use I can see is to get some fighters if you just need 2 more or to sell them with Weapon emporium.

Improved produce: Maybe useful at the start of a P/T engine, so you can trade as your role and get a P/T card in your deck.

I'm also wondering about the secondary symbol. Which do you think is best? Science seems best if you want a shot a the higher techs, survey to be better able to leach of other players surveys while not needing to hold on to a survey card, produce and trade to start with more symbols when you begin a P/T engine, warfare and colonize seem worst as you'll likely already have a few of those cards in deck by the time you get your tech card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, it depends on the play style.

You are playing Improved Colonize wrong though; You may Settle one planet and then either Settle another one or use the card as colony.

Warfare in general has weaker cards than colonize - the biggest of the few flaws the game has. The expansion mitigate it in some ways though.

Level 1 techs are to me in general just a stepping stone to Level 2 ones. To us Research is one of the most used roles and a vital part of the strategy, since L2 and 3 cards can significantly boost your game - whatever that may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro Hendrickx
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
True, I forgot about the alternative use of Improved Col.

Would you go for level 1 techs without the intention of going for level 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Chambers

Toledo
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minotower wrote:
True, I forgot about the alternative use of Improved Col.

Would you go for level 1 techs without the intention of going for level 2?
I'll grab Improved Trade given half a chance, even if I'm not going research.

My most recent game I went the tech path and ended up with three level 2 techs and was working towards a level 3. I also did better than usual at exploiting Follow opportunities, and the combination served me well, since I won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm learning this game VERY slowly. It's not coming easily to me.

I'm finding that the Level 1 Techs are barely superior to Role Cards. If I buy them for anything, it's the symbols on them: more Research Light Bulbs or Colonize Worlds never hurt.

Improved Production/Warfare both jumpstart a build-up and I tend to favour them.

I tend not to both with Tech at all until I've got a planet or two with Research Light Bulbs. This sort of boost makes the Level 2 Tech easily accessible and they work proper wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.