Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: [Blank] Heroes only sub-store? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike X
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
So my group has noticed that store cards often have "[Holy/Tribal/Law/etc.] Heroes only" section on the backside listing many cool items. The problem is, we're at a disagreement as to whether they can USE the items in there. Since I'm Law, for example, can I buy an item (without the red band) under Law-only for someone who isn't Law? The items themselves don't say whether or not they can be equipped by non-Law people, so we're confused.

Also, at the Sheriff's Office there's an event that gives the keyword Law. Well, last gaming session our Preacher rolled it. Most rules say Holy heroes can't be Law, so what happens? Does this override normal rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can only be purchased, used or equipped by heroes with the corresponding keywords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirative wrote:
Most rules say Holy heroes can't be Law, so what happens? Does this override normal rules?

Where is it written in rules?

As a golden rule, if card contradicts the general rules, the rules of cards applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Since there aren't official cards for the town items you need to read every item within the box as requiring the corresponding key word. For example the badges are law only and saloon items are saloon and piano player only. You can't get a dark stone shiv and give it to another player unless they are saloon girl/piano player.

I've not seen the law/holy keyword conflict. Only law/outlaw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike X
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
yury1975 wrote:
Where is it written in rules?

As a golden rule, if card contradicts the general rules, the rules of cards applies.

It's on the same card, the Sheriff's Office under "Deputized". I'm at work but it says something to the effect of "Holy Heroes cannot gain keyword Law" or maybe it was something as simple as "non-Holy only". Either way it made it seem like you can't have Holy Law (or Law Holy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That limitation isn't, however, present on the conversion option at the church. Or on the location chart roll that makes you law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike X
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Cooperton wrote:
That limitation isn't, however, present on the conversion option at the church. Or on the location chart roll that makes you law.

So you're thinking it overrides? I just don't see why the Preacher can't pay to become deputized but can still gain the same benefits by rolling instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
That makes sense and is a smart subtle distinction. The preacher/nun can't be made officers of the law but a law keyword hero can become holy and be devout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirative wrote:
Cooperton wrote:

So you're thinking it overrides? I just don't see why the Preacher can't pay to become deputized but can still gain the same benefits by rolling instead.

Because one is a reward for good works (the lucky roll) and the other is using money to gain authority.

Seems like a thematic choice.
A holy person can't elect to devote themselves to the law (they're already devoted to God) but they can have the responsibility of law thrust upon them by happenstance. Makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike X
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Seems like a unanimous decision then. We'll adjust accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the original question:
There are item in the sections of stores that are limited to certain types that say "only usable by ____"
This indicates, to me, that if the red bar isn't present, anyone can use it, but only that kind of hero may purchase it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

Just to clarify, items listed in a Sub-section of a town location that is restricted by Keyword or Class (such as 'Holy Only' at the Church) are all intended to have that same restriction on the individual items as well. For example, items in the 'Saloon Girl Only' section of the Saloon are intended to each have the Saloon Girl/Piano Player Only tag on them as well.

Happy Gaming!

- Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Barnes
United Kingdom
Woolwich
London
flag msg tools
So the badge I bought for my character while "Deputised" can't be used if I lose the Keyword "Law" at the end of a future adventure by rolling a 1,2 or 3?

If this happens, can I sell "shop bought" items back in town for face value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, thanks for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
joguitarist wrote:
So the badge I bought for my character while "Deputised" can't be used if I lose the Keyword "Law" at the end of a future adventure by rolling a 1,2 or 3?

If this happens, can I sell "shop bought" items back in town for face value?

You can sell Town Items for 50% of their normal purchase price (rounding to the nearest $5).

- Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Barnes
United Kingdom
Woolwich
London
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply, Jason.

Looking forward to receiving my new Trederra expansion and getting even deeper into trouble with this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Belcher
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought after reading this, but are there any keywords that are exclusive to one another in the base rules (rather than specific instances prohibiting them)?

Law and Outlaw are the only two that I've had players consider "contradictory", but I still allow a character to have both IF they can manage to get it from sources that don't outright prohibit it or explicitly remove the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Greatfrito wrote:

Law and Outlaw are the only two that I've had players consider "contradictory", but I still allow a character to have both IF they can manage to get it from sources that don't outright prohibit it or explicitly remove the other.

This is expressly forbidden and is the only combo that the frogs have directly stated can't be on the same character. But it is your game, and if you allow it, I'll allow you to allow it, if you allow me--assuming we're making allowances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike X
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
jchill7 wrote:
You can sell Town Items for 50% of their normal purchase price (rounding to the nearest $5).

- Jason

Out of curiosity, is that actually in the rules? We came into this same issue a while back and couldn't find an answer in the books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirative wrote:
jchill7 wrote:

- Jason

Out of curiosity, is that actually in the rules? We came into this same issue a while back and couldn't find an answer in the books.

Paragraph 2 p39 of both the Swamps of Death and City of Ancients Adventure Books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy welton
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
was there a reprint of the rulebook? i am not showing that on pg 39, both adventure rulebooks i have show the start of the page selling items in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
majortusk wrote:
was there a reprint of the rulebook? i am not showing that on pg 39, both adventure rulebooks i have show the start of the page selling items in town.

As far as I know there hasn't been a reprint.

Second paragraph of the Selling Items section on p39 should start

Items purchased in Town may also be sold ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.