$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
$30.00
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game a few times I decided to read up on the non-player rules - and a question rose:
8.7 Non-Player Arverni Actions, DEVASTATE says:
Quote:
The Arverni, if able, Devastate immediately before they move (after paying for the command) during a march away from a threat per above

3.3.2 March says:
Quote:
Select and pay one Resource for each origin region, two if Devastated (4.3.2) at the moment any pieces depart.

Is this a non-player only advantage, or is this also true for Arverni players(paying 1 instead of 2 RP when devastating the region you're moving from)?

Seeing how Vercingetorix may devastate a region he's moving through(losing 1/4 warbands), why shouldn't he be able to torch the fields up as he's leaving?
However, "paying at the moment any pieces depart" suggests otherwise.
This may also be a way, as noted in the NP-rules, to have the NP-arverni do March+Devastate instead of Entreat when low on RP.

Quote:
A faction may execute its Special Ability at any one time immediately before, during, or immediately after its command.

I'm thinking Arverni human players may also 1RP March+Devastate(still losing 1/4 warbands), but I'm not sure.
What have you concluded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can initiate a special ability at any one time before, during or after a command. So in this example you can initiate a move command and pay its cost, next pause to devastate, and then continue the movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay at the moment any pieces depart. If the region is devastated at this moment, wouldn't the cost be 2RP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
woxoya wrote:
You pay at the moment any pieces depart.

Yes but this is compatible with what I explained.
Warbands initiate the move order so you pay 1 resource (as the region is not yet devastated). Now interrupt this action to devastate the region. Then the warbands continue their movement to the adjacent region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that 3.3.2 reads as if you need to actually move a piece out of the region before you pay.
That is in contradiction to being able to interrupt command at any time though, so I'd still play it that you pay when you initiate the command and can devastate the origin region after paying for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

please have a look into the playbook - might be helpful (end of page 8 and beginning of page 9):

Vercingetorix does March out with his surviving group of five
Warbands for his final destination of Carnutes, abandoning Avaricum
to Aedui Control. Adjust the Control marker. (Among several
effects, Devastated markers stop March by groups entering their region (3.2.2, 4.3.2); but Vercingetorix did not enter a Devastated
Region, he Devastated it once already there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
Guys,

please have a look into the playbook - might be helpful (end of page 8 and beginning of page 9):

effects, Devastated markers stop March by groups entering their region (3.2.2, 4.3.2); but Vercingetorix did not enter a Devastated
This doesn't say anything about the conflict of paying when a piece leaves a region versus devastating after paying, but before leaving the region.

The problem here, as I understand it, is that the March command says that you pay as the first piece leaves the region, but SAs can be taken during any point during the command.
The question then becomes is there a moment when you have paid for the command, but all pieces are still in the region during which you can interrupt with an SA.

I'm reading it as there being no such moment, but think there should be.

Hopefully we'll get an official answer to this soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing else, you could move some pieces out, then Devastate, then move the rest. As long as there's more than one moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
mk20336 wrote:
Guys,

This doesn't say anything about the conflict of paying when a piece leaves a region versus devastating after paying, but before leaving the region.

The problem here, as I understand it, is that the March command says that you pay as the first piece leaves the region, but SAs can be taken during any point during the command.
The question then becomes is there a moment when you have paid for the command, but all pieces are still in the region during which you can interrupt with an SA.

I'm reading it as there being no such moment, but think there should be.

Hopefully we'll get an official answer to this soon!

In that case you (this is my logic, but I am open to other suggestions):
1) declare command
2) pay for this
3) interrupt command for SA
4) continue command

As paying (2) is before SA (3) you do not pay for moving out of devastated region.

My logic is based on page 23 of rules and sentence:

"DEVASTATE: The Arverni, if able, Devastate immediately before
they move (after paying for the Command) during a March away
from a threat per above.
"

This is for Non_Player, but I do not see such clear clarification anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are right: "at the moment any pieces depart" collides with 4.1 bullet 1.

The Non-player Arverni has no special privilege in this regard; a player should be able to do the same thing.

I will enter an Erratum to 3.3.2 March to read instead as "at the moment [the origin Region is] selected".

So the bottom line is that the Arverni can select and pay for March, then Devastate, then depart, paying only 1 Resource for that origin Region.

Good catch!
Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Volko!
Love that you hang around and give official rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.