I enjoy implementing boardgames as iPhone/iPad application.
So far I did 2 games:
Atacama published by Mücke Spiele, designed by Martin Schlegel
Gipsy king published by Cwali, designed by Corné van Moorsel
And another puzzle SqWhere with famous game designer Reinhard Staupe
Currently I'm almost finishing my largest project Fowl Play! which is a game published a long time ago by R&D games and was designed by Richard Breese
I've also did in the past a version of Reef encounter that can be downloaded for free here on BGG as an example for a large complex AI game.
(I do need to update some of those to latest iOS versions so currently only Atacama is downloadable, I'm currently working on updating Gipsy King)
Why did I do it?
I wrote the apps for several main reasons:
- I enjoy developing the AI part of the application
- The games I created the apps for needed more exposure and I thought an app will help get that exposure. People saw the posts about the apps and did buy the board game after trying the app.
- Help people learn the strategies of the games. You have a chance to quickly play many games and try different strategies.
- Get a chance to play out of print games. Gipsy king & Fowl Play! are now out of print so players will have a chance to play them.
- Buying the Apps is a lot cheaper then buying the game. I specifically did not implement an online ability in the game so it will not replace buying the board game for the in stock games, so if the people who bought the app like the game hey will buy the board game also.
(Of course I'm paying royalties to all the publishers and there is an agreement for all the rights, so no worries about that)
- Because of all of the above I preferred focusing on the AI and less on the graphics since I had limited amount of time and the companies only provided the graphics the original game came with.
So what am I looking for?
- The games I worked so far were less known and I would like to work on a more known game. I believe there are enough more known games that game companies will want someone to implement the game as an app.
- The game should be a not to complex since I do not do this full time so on average an app takes me 8-12 months to implement. For example: A game that has cards that each card has a different effect is a game that I prefer not to implement (or different building with different effects...)
- I prefer not doing an online implementation since this turns the iPhone/iPad to an "anti social" activity and I think board games are all about social activity. Doing a "pass the device" implementation is an ok option.
- A two player game to play against the AI is a good option in my mind or against your fellow friend if there is no hidden information.
If you know of a publisher who might find this post interesting please let him/her know. I will be in Essen this year so I can meet with publishers, test play their games and see if the games are something that I can implement AI & UI wise.
If you have any question you can contact me here or through my email:
giladyarnitzky at hotmail dot com
To check my games and my projects you can view my website:
I shall have a "think"! But whatever you choose to design I wish you well in your creativity.
Best wishes from the UK