Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've playtested Unfair over the past months , including the recently announced Ninja deck. I thought I'd share some of my experiences with the Ninjas.

Extra decks
Firstly, each extra deck increases the replayability of the game. Picking the decks to play is part of the experience, as is working out which deck combinations are fun for your group. The initial four decks (Pirates, Vampires, Jungle and Robot) are solid and each deck has a different feel. An additional deck means the 4 player games get variety and more strategic options.

Secondly, you can play a 5 player game with a 5th deck. In my experience, 5 player games are similar to 4 player games during play – the Event stage has a lot going on, particularly in the later half of the game. Blueprints are harder to finish, especially if they have specific card requirements. Its fun, but really only for people already familiar with the game.

Overall feel
The Ninja overview card rates the the deck as
Blueprints: 4 stars
Money: 3 stars
Ride size: 1 star
Unfair: 5 stars

The Ninja deck has three main things that come out in game play. Firstly is a feeling of tension. There are more Intrusion event cards and park card effects, so everyone is a little less trusting. Even if the group you are playing with are not very aggressive, they still have options to take cards from your park. Expect your opponents to keep Event cards to block detrimental effects. There are City Events that increase the number of event cards in play, adding to the feeling of threat and defense.

Secondly is blueprints. (Gee, just like the overview said). There are more cards that give access to the blueprint cards, even after it has closed. Blueprints are one of the risk/reward elements of the game, and the Ninja blueprints increase both the risk and the reward. The Bonus parts of the blueprints have more points, but some blueprints are at odds with each other, increasing the competition to complete them.

Lastly, there is an increased focus on “theme” cards. This is most obvious with blueprints - most require the Ninja theme, but some require the other theme cards as well. Theme upgrades also appear in City events.

Here are some of the cards that really make this deck a lot of fun!

Showcase Cards
The most obvious example of the Ninja theme is in the two showcase cards
ninja Shadow Dragon. A Ninja themed Thrill ride. Once per events step, you can demolish an upgrade in a park – this is a take that ride! (And that, and that.) BUT! If you build this ride, then expect the other players to bring the 'take that' to you. Pre-emptively! This ride can get closed regularly with opponents defending their parks. Then re-opened with a dose of payback.
ninja Ninja Trick House. A Ninja themed Sideshow. Once per Park step you may move any number of upgrades in your park to any number of rides in your park. This allows you to move upgrades to protect expensive upgrades with flagpoles, meet blueprints, keep rides smaller then increase their size at the end and generally be tricky.

Event cards
ninja Intel Gathering / Industrial Espionage: Intel Gathering lets you draw 1 Park card, 1 Event card and 1 Blueprint card, and then keep one of them. Even if the Blueprint shop is closed. Industrial Espionage is an Intrusion were you take a Park card, Event card or Blueprint card from a competitor and either discard it, keep it or return it. It really is quite nasty as you can throw out a opponent's Blueprint that you can see they have completed OR return a blueprint knowing what is on it...
ninja Flurry of Activity / Demolition Order. Flurry of Activity is draw two Events and play them immediately. It can be random or quite a flurry. Demolition Order is a big event! You choose a competitor's attraction and demolish it and all upgrades. Yep, the whole thing. GONE! However you have to pay an additional Event card per icon on the demolished ride. As the hand limit is 5 cards, then the practical maximum on Demolition Order is an attraction with 5 icons on it. This is one of the few "take that" cards that has no defense. Your only protections are to build rides with lots of icons OR not be that upset if your attraction gets demolished.

Park Cards
Ninja Theme. When you build a Ninja theme you get to draw a blueprint from the Blueprint store and keep it or discard it. Even if the store is closed. You ARE a Ninja, after all.
Staff. The Security Guard blocks one intrusion event each Event step. Defense! YAY! The Star Performer demolishes upgrades (with an intrusion event). The Lost and Found attendant (which is one of my favourite pieces of art in the game) allows you to pick a card from the discard pile. If someone has demolished one of your upgrades this round. You can go and get it back, or maybe something better.

Summary
The Ninja deck is a lot of fun to play and has giving us some of the best gameplay stories. You need to expect, anticipate and defend against the increased intrusion events. If you can, then there are big points waiting for you in the Ninja blueprints.

And if you don't like much "take that" - then I would still try the Ninja deck. But not in your first few games of Unfair. Once you know how to protect your park (or the important sections of your park), then you should definitely play it. The blueprints have challenging bonuses with great point scoring. And you might just enjoy being a ninja.

P.S Spot can you spot ninjas in the picture. (Not just the 2 obvious ones...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
BorderCon was a blast this year!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Whats in the Unfair Ninja deck?
Thanks for the info Paul.

I haven't read it (I really like discovering things for the first time when I play) but I appreciate the info for those that do.

Thumbed

I'm having a great time with the game (I was lucky enough to snag a pre-production copy) and I think I may have 20 plays racked up before I get the full production version.

That's insane...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the Ninja cards that allow drawing blueprints after the blueprint shop is closed should specify that explicitly, otherwise the "cannot wins over can" rule may be invoked by some rules lawyer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that the wording on the Blueprint Closure card will be sufficiently clear to stop that kind of rules-lawyering, without having to add extra bulky wording to all the other cards. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
I'm hoping that the wording on the Blueprint Closure card will be sufficiently clear to stop that kind of rules-lawyering, without having to add extra bulky wording to all the other cards. What do you think?

Ah, ok, sorry, didn't see that on the card. that should be fine then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Ninja Trick House is my favourite showcase and i've played this game a lot! Keep an eye out for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
Ninja Trick House is my favourite showcase and i've played this game a lot! Keep an eye out for it!

Yeah that looks perfect for a late Blueprint completion or manipulating late for a big attraction score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:

Yeah that looks perfect for a late Blueprint completion or manipulating late for a big attraction score.

But you have to be able to keep it open on the last round!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BorderCon
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Befefig wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
Hida Mann wrote:

But you have to be able to keep it open on the last round!

Actually just on that point (and I don't have the rules in front of me). Do attractions that get closed in the final round still score at the end of the game because of the Clean Up Phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they do score. Yes, technically you re-open them during the Cleanup step of the last round.

My point was if the Ninja Trick House gets closed on the last round, before being activated, then its owner can't use the ability to move things around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.