Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: No love for the Talvath? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok it's 6am and I'm board snore and we are also starved for meaningful discussion around here. So instead of the same old speculation and complaints, let's actually discuss something.


I go to OPs, read reports, and watch YouTube videos and it seems that there is still no love for the poor Talvath. I would have thought it would have become the go to mine layer but it seems to me that more folks still prefer to use the Praetus.

With 3 tech slots, natural cloak, and one more hit point I would think that Talvath would be a better choice for the same points. The named ability isn't outstanding, but since Talvath has built in cloak it is better than that of the Praetus.


So what do you guys think? Is Talvath just overlooked because there is nothing else all that interesting in the pack or is there some other reason folks like the Praetus?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda like the named ability, but as you say it's not outstanding. I imagine it may be more players prefer the other classes for the stronger ATK and DEF points. I may give it a go as I show my friend more about how the game is played. I usually play Fed, but giving him something else to face will be good practice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of the cheapest ways to get 3 sets of cloaked mines in a fleet... It has a place! Maybe not the best donatra chariot, but has a specific use!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well it's always frustrating to start the day as a plank.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
Well it's always frustrating to start the day as a plank.


Not unless your best friend is Jonny 2x4, then it's all right to stay that way all the time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Talvath has seen some use in our local OP group as a dedicated mine layer, however the main reason we have found as to why its not as good as it could be is down to a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the Praetus can mount a weapon as well as two cloaked mines, giving at a bit of bite even if it is just for one turn.

The second reason is that the optimum number of cloaked mines one ship can lay by itself in a open field or with a single planet in the middle is two. Typically by the 2nd turn the enemy ships are too close to allow a 3rd mine to be deployed out of range of the other two mines. So you can either drop it at the back of your advance in case the other players ships head there, or you can create a larger single minefield.

Thats been our experiences anyway, I started taking 2x cloaked mines and a nuclear warhead instead so it could be deployed somewhere annoying near the minefield rather than try and position 3x cloaked mines out of range of each other.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
Well it's always frustrating to start the day as a plank.


Not unless your best friend is Jonny 2x4, then it's all right to stay that way all the time.


Touche.

It could also be a good morning to get nailed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
Well it's always frustrating to start the day as a plank.


Not unless your best friend is Jonny 2x4, then it's all right to stay that way all the time.


Touche.

It could also be a good morning to get nailed.



... Fascinating. That verb has positive and negative connotations. To which are you referring?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's worth noting that you can get a Prototype 01 with a CS5 Captain and 3 Cloaked Mines for 33pts. The same specs on a Talvath cost 26pts.

I'd rather have the former's 3/3/3/3 stat line and excellent ability any day, regardless of the fact it can't cloak. That's 7pts well spent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4secloop wrote:
It's worth noting that you can get a Prototype 01 with a CS5 Captain and 3 Cloaked Mines for 33pts. The same specs on a Talvath cost 26pts.

I'd rather have the former's 3/3/3/3 stat line and excellent ability any day, regardless of the fact it can't cloak. That's 7pts well spent.


The Drone isn't a bad option either. I would agree it's ability probably balances out the loss of cloak, though if you have the Jazkal you can add a cloaking device. However that is changing its role a bit.

I would say if you want to take advantage of the weapon slot the Praetus or Drone are better options. But for just hauling mines I would lean towards the Talvath.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
Well it's always frustrating to start the day as a plank.


Not unless your best friend is Jonny 2x4, then it's all right to stay that way all the time.


Touche.

It could also be a good morning to get nailed.



... Fascinating. That verb has positive and negative connotations. To which are you referring?


I suppose the meaning is the reader's choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hauling mines eh? Sure thing Jason Nesmith Commander Taggart

I admit, it's a strategy that works, just a bit iffy when you need to dodge what you lay down. ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Hauling mines eh? Sure thing Jason Nesmith Commander Taggart

I admit, it's a strategy that works, just a bit iffy when you need to dodge what you lay down. ^^


If you're going to reference Galaxy Quest, at least have the decency to link to somewhere where someone can buy STAW-scaled(ish) model versions of the NSEA Protector

I have one of those and, whilst a little on the small size compared to most STAW ships, it's still pretty awesome
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.shapeways.com/product/5FVB957D7/space-race-4-uns-...

Is that the one you have?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
No, I'm afraid not. I have the one I linked to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, well darn me for missing that embedded link XD What's yours made from, pewter? ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Some kind of white metal alloy, likely pewter or some equivalent metal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool too. ^^
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.