$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've been patiently holding my breath for this since I got the first game as son as it released. But after seeing the recent explosion of Legendary sets and what they have inside, its got me excited at some possibilities.

Mainly that Firefly expansion has some real interesting ideas going on in it and is inside the 'encounters' line. The way the player avatar actually influences the hero/barracks deck selection is awesome! I feel like this would really add to LE:A. Also on the avatar subject, as LE:A was the first in the encounters line, the avatars though are ok but lack any special extra abilities, and Ive found myself not really caring about who I get, In my group the Merc and Scout are probably the most sought. In Predator you got a special ability on your role card that rewarded you for coordinating (call in back up I think it was called) on top of your actual card effects. And now in Firefly you are getting the talents and flaws abilities which I thought was an awesome extra that just push apart the generic feeling of avatars into their own characters, which coincidentally, the characters in LE:F are actual characters from the show not just generics, I cant be the only person wanting this in Alien, especially if it may alter the barracks and add some deeper variety (they are bringing extra characters in this set).

So Big Trouble In Little China has an extra zone "China Town" and Firefly has no named zones in the "Verse" but has an actual ship zone which can get upgrades and damage. I love how its starting to branch out creatively with each set, we are getting a new mat in this box (hopefully not folded like BTILC) and its been said its mainly to do with the extra 'Queen' mode, but fingers crossed for some extra non-queen mode stuff goin on too, like many I will play this solo/non-competitively mainly so dont expect the Queen to see much light so a mat for just that seems silly to me. It would be easy to add in an extra zone and rules to go with it (that is essentially what an expansion does any ways, add to the complexity of a game). This is Alien after all, lets see some shaft or crawl space action, it could be in the vein of China Town and just encompass a couple of zones or even become an extra zone above or below, some aliens when scanned could scurry into it and move faster like 2 spaces a turn, its rare to see a line of Xenommorphs walking down a corridor in a nice line after all waiting to be riddled with bullets.

Finally I hope to see some type of growth to the Hive deck construction. In Marvel some 'schemes' let you add bystanders into the villian deck (for points mostly by the looks) but they do help to wards the theme of the schemes. In Predator you get 'marked' by the hazards if I remebered right (could be events?), and now in Firefly your get 'Side-jobs' which have a positive or negitive effect on you depending if you can resolve them before they reach the combat zone. Even a re-issue of the objective cards with added effects would be awesome at this point that add an extra card into the Hive deck that can add some extra preasure into the game, if it wasnt scanned intime you would get caught out some how, like a card from your hand becoming a hostage to more face huggers into the barracks! I loved that effect and really makes you hate buying new cards! That and the self destruct hazard from Alien must be some of the absolute gems from this game for heavy preasure feeling.

Any ways a nerd can always hope huh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:

So Big Trouble In Little China has an extra zone "China Town"

A minor precision: China Town is not an addititional zone but Streets and Rooftops have that extra trait being China Town as well.

After the negative buzz about inconsistent artwork In Firefly and Big trouble in Little China I hope that the Alien expansion will have great artwork throughout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:
badmike01 wrote:

So Big Trouble In Little China has an extra zone "China Town"

A minor precision: China Town is not an addititional zone but Streets and Rooftops have that extra trait being China Town as well.

After the negative buzz about inconsistent artwork In Firefly and Big trouble in Little China I hope that the Alien expansion will have great artwork throughout.

Sorry, I ment that 'zone' referring to what you mentioned above with the extra rules in place to make it work, technically Alien wouldn't even need a new mat to have extra 'zones' just a new line of rule text on cards like a Xenomorph with "When this is revealed it may move along 'Crawl spaces' and skip x/y/z rooms" sort of thing. There's plenty of that sort of thing going on with events and such even now, like low-light and flooded compartments on some objectives, hell even "The Perfect Organism" places an airlock room on top of the space for air lock, who says rooms cant change with the use of an overlaying card, so much possibilities. I hope they really go all out with extra bits this set, they've done the core/basic box, now they can add on the complexity for more hardcore card gamers.

On artwork, I'm boycotting Firefly purely based on artwork which is a real shame, but I just feel Id be contributing to the "its OK, we'll except it and move on" conundrum, where if sales are low and they look into it, they will see the army of complaints about art and may change their practices. It just feels like they only just acquired the license and rushed the art cheaply as possible to make it sellable at a convention so they could have a bigger showing along side Civil War, BTILC and a slew of other non legendary bits? And I just want to add- if this was a license like Star Wars, they would not have dreamed of this art style and gone all out in my opinion.

On a more relevant note about art work for this expansion, I have high hopes, due to some actual evidence I've seen from the forthcoming Alien Vs game they are doing. The art seems so high of standard on those cards I've seen that it made me a little sad that LE:A wasn't as good! Lol. But then it dawned on me, that like other companies like FFG do with licenses they share artwork between different games under the same license, Star wars and Descent spring straight to mind here as I own multiple games that share the same art and they even have a new dice game coming out with that art on again I swear. You should check UDs blog out if you haven't already, I only just became aware of the previews they do a few weeks back hence how I saw some Alien Vs artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Zaleski
msg tools
Looks like Upper Deck is starting the preview process for this. The first card pic just showed up on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/LegendaryDBG/?fref=ts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One card, great art!

Just reread your post and I like the ideas you came up with so let's see what we get
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.