Popular Tags: thisorthat [+] [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games' themes, i like having characters with different stats, and I like the depth, but I don't have the time or money to buy and get into both games (which i'm sure take a few hours each) and its hard enough to get players together.

So, please give me your opinions on one, or the other...or both, and help me decide where I should sink my money. Which game is better, has a better system, is more fun, takes more time etc.

Thanks!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was choosing I would pick Runebound. I have both games, but to me Duel of Ages lacks the polish of runebound, its components are pretty poor which detract from the game, the characters are represented by tiny cardboard counters and the platters used to make up the map in my sets are badly warped . I also find the rules for DoA pretty poorly written although they are not too bad to use once you have got a grip. The other thing that stops me recommending DoA is that I you really need at least the first set and the first expansion to really take it anywhere. There are lots of equipment and character options however but its really just a skirmish game witha somewhat flimsy tacked on premise. Runebound always feels more of a heroic quest.

In terms of gameplay they are not directly comparable. DoA is skirmish came you have to beat the other team to some arbitrary objectives picking up equipment along the way. Runebound is more a heroic adventure game, you complete quests, buy stuff in towns, player interaction is somewhat more limited than DoA.

Both games are playable with a small number of players, DoA has two opposing teams while in Runebound each player has their own hero working on his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what kind of game you want.

Runebound is a game that lets you take weak heroes at the beginning to quests that make them extremely powerful in the end.

Duel of Ages is about taking a varied group of heroes and having them work together in crazy ways to accomplish goals.

I like them both, but Duel of Ages is my absolute favorite game, so I'll recommend it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played runebound, so I can't speak about it.

I would like to respond to an earlier comment that you have to buy sets 1 and 2 as a negative. You can actually get into DoA cheaper than runebound. You can just buy set 1. You'll get a feel for the gameplay and can decide at that point (which is cheaper than Runebound) if you want to delve into the deaper game that set 2 provides.

If you buy set 1 and decide you hate the system, then so be it. You haven't dropped as much cash. While both full games can be quite expensive, you can work your way into either buy just buying more when you're getting tired of what you have.

As for DoA, it's strength is in it's versatility, you can play the game as long or quickly as you like (granted, you need at least an hour or two to really have a good game develope) and it scales to the number of players at any point in time. Because you're playing one team versus another, it doesn't matter how many players are on a side, they just divide up their characters amongst themselves.

Also, you characters do develope as the game progresses. When they beat a labrynth, they get equipment, which can radically alter their stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like and play both.
Out of the box I would go with Runebound.
I think DOA is a better game, but the bits suck.
My solution:

Still a work in progress, but fully playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
i own both of these games,

Without any hesitation whatsoever i would go with DOA,
without doubt my favorite game.

Runebound is fun, but it does run long, and is very samey,
there are plenty of variants that shake things up a bit, but the majority of the game is spent on the combat system regardless of the objective.
I do enjoy runebound, and would still reccomend it as a purchase,
however DOA would definately be my firs pick.

I prefer DOA as a 2 player game where it becomes a real contest,
Also the more expansions you are able to accuire the more the game improves.
The massive combination of available characters and items and maps means that no 2 games ever play the same, or even feel the same, every game requires a completely different approach.

The games both run a little long, runbound with more than 4 players runs
way too long. i prefer to play DOA for 4-5 hours, but if you have 3 hours to spare i believe you will get a better experience from doa than an unfinished runbound game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also having and loving both of these excellent games makes this decision a little hard for me...but I will endorse DoA as it is my all-time fave.
The thing is, it is deeper.
Runebound is a fun romp, with alot of variety and best kept to 1-3 players. Yes, even solo works out well!
DoA is a deeper experience, that still keeps the variety and fun factor way up. Best with 2, it can be played with more, split into 2 teams...
Also, you set a game clock of sorts with DoA...so if you can only play for 2- 21/3 hours...so be it! If you have time for a 4 hour game, great!
Runebound has different end-game conditions that offer wonderful variety, but always is going to play in the hour-per-person range...

DoA and all expansions is a 10 for me.
Runebound and all expansions is a 9-9.5 for me.

Either way...you win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks everyone! I've decided to go with DoA..and just traded for it here on BGG. I can't wait. If I like the way it plays, i'll probably buy the first two expansions.

I don't doubt Runebound is a good game..and I do like the fact that you can play it solitary. Maybe i'll get it one day.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.