Popular Tags: [View All]
Remek Kocz
United States
Clarence Center
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this was already covered, but I wasn't able to find an answer. If a worker is present on a hex with resources that were produced in the past turns, can that worker move and abandon the resources, or is he forced to bring them with him? If he can move like this, does the player sill control the resources, or do they become lost or neutral so anyone who moves in can take them? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remek,

This is one of the many things which makes Scythe a great game...true resource management. If you move away from the hex and abandon your resources, they are up for grabs by anyone who enters the hex. As you're not limited to how much you can carry, take it with you and protect it.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Remek,

a great game...true resource management.

Cheers,
Joe

As opposed to any other game? What do you mean by a "true resource management"? I don't see how leaving resources behind makes it a true resource management game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Remek,

Cheers,
Joe

As opposed to any other game? What do you mean by a "true resource management"? I don't see how leaving resources behind makes it a true resource management game.

The need to take it with you and/or protect the resources on the board adds a new layer of "management" to handling resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grinder7 wrote:
Sorry if this was already covered, but I wasn't able to find an answer. If a worker is present on a hex with resources that were produced in the past turns, can that worker move and abandon the resources, or is he forced to bring them with him? If he can move like this, does the player sill control the resources, or do they become lost or neutral so anyone who moves in can take them? Thanks.

Workers are never forced to take resources with them. The only time resources cannot be abandoned in a hex is on a lake if you have a mech carrying them. However, resources must be in a hex that is controlled by the player in order to be spent by that player. Since a worker can carry unlimited resources it is always best to carry them to a hex that you control rather than abandoning them. If resources are left in an empty hex they are controlled by nobody and can be spent by no-one, until someone moves into the hex and claims them. The person who has units in a hex with the resources is the only one who can spend them.

This is all spelled out clearly in the rules:

Page 4 - Control: "You control a territory if you have at least one unit there (a character, worker or mech) OR if you have a structure there with no enemy characters, workers or mechs."

Page 4 - Resources: "You may only spend resources from territories you currently control."

The question is since resources can be moved, for free, by any unit, why would you abandon them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Workers are never forced to take resources with them. The only time resources cannot be abandoned in a hex is on a lake if you have a mech carrying them.

I don't recall how the non-lake-abandoning rules are worded in the rulebook, but for consistency's sake I would hope your character can't abandon resources in lakes, either...

Quote:
The question is since resources can be moved, for free, by any unit, why would you abandon them?

I could think of a couple situations, though granted I haven't seen any of them come up in actual games:

1) You've got a unit / group of units with a pile of resources in your home peninsula, none of your opponents can waterwalk or lake-walk to reach your home, and you're about to move the whole group out. You've got some other units in your home area that you're planning to move in a couple of turns but not yet (maybe it's a group of workers on a hex with a resource type you need one more production of). If you take the resources with you, you might lose them to an opponent; if you leave them at home (and don't need them on the intervening turns), your other units will take control of them later.

2) If you're in a position where an opponent could reach you and you can't win the combat, you might want to split up targets to force the opponent to choose between getting a star and getting your resources. (Doesn't apply if it's only workers moving, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Remek,

Cheers,
Joe

The need to take it with you and/or protect the resources on the board adds a new layer of "management" to handling resources.

Thanks, Rev...exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:

As opposed to games where the resources produced float to a parallell dimension off-board near the player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
itmo wrote:

As opposed to games where the resources produced float to a parallell dimension off-board near the player...
Yeah, in Scythe they only float to where they are used, which may or may not be the other side of the map from where the resources are located...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the lack of "personal supply" to be a very intriguing aspect of this game.

I hereby dub thee a new type of hybrid: "resources on a map."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So a quick side question, if you leave resources in a hex that one of your structures and no other unit (nor opponent unit) do you still control those resources? I would say yes since the mill can produce on its own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bogusgig wrote:
So a quick side question, if you leave resources in a hex that one of your structures and no other unit (nor opponent unit) do you still control those resources? I would say yes since the mill can produce on its own

Yes ... Rulebook Ref ...

CONTROL
You control a territory if you have at least one unit there
(a character, worker, or mech) OR if you have a structure
there with no enemy characters, workers, or mechs. Only one
player at a time can control a territory

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I find the lack of "personal supply" to be a very intriguing aspect of this game.

I hereby dub thee a new type of hybrid: "resources on a map."

I think "stuff on a map" fits better with the "dudes on a map" source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grinder7 wrote:

Workers are never forced to take resources with them. The only time resources cannot be abandoned in a hex is on a lake if you have a mech carrying them. However, resources must be in a hex that is controlled by the player in order to be spent by that player. Since a worker can carry unlimited resources it is always best to carry them to a hex that you control rather than abandoning them. If resources are left in an empty hex they are controlled by nobody and can be spent by no-one, until someone moves into the hex and claims them. The person who has units in a hex with the resources is the only one who can spend them.

This is all spelled out clearly in the rules:

Page 4 - Control: "You control a territory if you have at least one unit there (a character, worker or mech) OR if you have a structure there with no enemy characters, workers or mechs."

Page 4 - Resources: "You may only spend resources from territories you currently control."

It might make sense to abandon them if you were moving the workers closer to enemy fighting units, with the intention of using the workers as a sacrificial screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.