Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1st turn fleet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Is there anything stopping me from building 3 ships and putting them into a fleet on the first turn? I was thinking that a Fed colonization fleet would be great to have on first turn. You can warp to a planet, and then on your next round build a control node without the culture cost, and then you have 2 ships to work with already out in space.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Is there anything stopping me from building 3 ships and putting them into a fleet on the first turn? I was thinking that a Fed colonization fleet would be great to have on first turn. You can warp to a planet, and then on your next round build a control node without the culture cost, and then you have 2 ships to work with already out in space.


Nothing I can see against it. I think it's great to do with the romulan mining fleet as well
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just an educated guess but I'd assume the risk is running into a powerful phenomenon or other card which will remove all the ships.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you start with one Ascendency (and this plus other factors is why), you can build one fleet on the first turn.

The first six or so systems discovered will not be Phenomenon. Also, the Feds can build a Science Fleet to mitigate one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You kids, get offa my lawn!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
This is just an educated guess but I'd assume the risk is running into a powerful phenomenon or other card which will remove all the ships.


Indeed. The Crystalline Entity Crisis card did just that to my fleet of Romulan warbirds on the first system I discovered. The risks of space exploration, I suppose.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can do it indeed.

for federation im inclined to think a diplomatic fleet might be more useful, but it really depends what you find.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
The first six or so systems discovered will not be Phenomenon. Also, the Feds can build a Science Fleet to mitigate one.

Yep, it'll be safe for the first 6 system discs. Definitely a good opening move, regardless of having a science fleet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Yep, it'll be safe for the first 6 system discs. Definitely a good opening move, regardless of having a science fleet.


Does anyone know the odds in drawing a "bad" exploration card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
cbs42 wrote:
Yep, it'll be safe for the first 6 system discs. Definitely a good opening move, regardless of having a science fleet.


Does anyone know the odds in drawing a "bad" exploration card?

The exploration deck is pretty evenly distributed between virgin, civilization, crisis, and discovery. 11 or 12 of each.

If you add in the TOS cards, you'll pretty significantly increase the odds of a crisis or discovery.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Hey, the mission is to boldly go where no one has gone before! Sure, I've been destroyed by The Neutron Star or The Planet Eater. But that's space biz...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.