Subject: Miniatures quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Christensen
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got my copy now, and it looks amazing, I owned the first editon and all its expansions, but later sold it for a reason that most people couldn't understand(thats another story I made post about some years ago https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1062948/im-i-only-one-who-l...) .

The only thing that bothers me a bit with the new edition, is the investigator miniatures, it seemes that the quality of them is poor compared to the monsters, and as far I can remember the investigators from the original game.

As a longtime miniaturepainter I think that is a shame.- This is a long shot, but do anyone have some insights of the two upcoming expansions - Will they release the miniatures exactly the same way they did with the first editon stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People have been indicating they feel the minis will be EXACTLY as they were in 1e... as in, possibly ones still left over from the production.

I saw pics somewhere where the investigator bases were actually black (in a shot of the 2 new boxed products), and I didn't own it but someone said 1e had black bases, so that seems to hold true.

Obviously bases on 2e minis investigators are grey, so won't match till painted.

Sorry it's all half-remembered hearsay & not links, but it's all on the forums here somewhere.

EDIT: added clarification that I was referring to investigator bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the images I was referring to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get all the complaints about the 2nd Ed minis. They seem perfectly good to me, with great attention to detail. What exactly is supposedly wrong with them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am painting all of the character mini's at the moment. The 1st edition mini's were glued on to black bases while the new mini's, the model and base are a single molding.

Looking at the models themselves the 2nd edition models are a softer plastic and the detail level looks a little lower. They are still good models though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a little bit of a flash line on some of the mini's but I've seen much worse. a quick drag of a knife blade is all it takes. I just got through painting some 40K Terminators and had to trim of some rather large pieces of plastic from the runners. That was rather tedious as it was thick and I had to cut it without slipping and cutting what I didn't want to.

As for the type of plastic. True, small parts like canes, tails, spears, etc. bend and are hard to get back in shape, but they are better than the old hard plastic from back in the 70's & 80's where those parts just broke off and ended up in the folds of the box.

I love the detail on both MoM & MoM2 mini's and they are a blast to paint. In fact some mini's are almost too detailed like very tiny coat buttons for example.

I'm very happy with the quality of these games, and even though I would gladly pay less, I didn't find the $67.00US to be that bad considering Food Chain Magnate is like $107.00US. I try not to judge by whats physically in the box but how much fun I get out of it. (but I'm still not paying $50 for a box with a die and a rule book that says roll a 6 and you win, no matter how much fun that turned out to be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Flanagan
United States
Santa Cruz
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Here are the images I was referring to...

Looking in the pictures you included. It appears they are using the 1st edition models (though this could change when the new release become available) as the models and the bases are separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Christensen
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh ye they were set on black bases.- We will wait and see if it's going to be the same standard as first edition as the pictures you posted Pudsy.

- And no the new investigators are not that bad, and could have been much more worse, but I guees im just a bit picky, when the standards were one level higher in the 1. edition. Anyway Im looking forward to paint them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
zombiewarrior07 wrote:
I don't get all the complaints about the 2nd Ed minis. They seem perfectly good to me, with great attention to detail. What exactly is supposedly wrong with them?

They're fine, they're around on par with 1E stuff, maybe a little less detail on average.

What people are dissappointed about is that FFG have got loads better at making minis since 1E came out - the recent Descent and Imperial Assault stuff is great and a step ahead of Mansions of Madness 1E. I think people were (fairly) hoping for mini quality on par with those games, especially given the high box price. That's not the case. But they're certainly not "bad" minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baden Ronie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
zombiewarrior07 wrote:

For me it comes down to poor build quality for such an extreme price-tag.

In my edition, at least, the monster tiles don't fit correctly into the bases, so that needed some fiddling, and the pegs fit poorly into the base, either unable to be pressed down or far too loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The beefs I have with the minis are as follows:

1- When you give them a hot/cold bath, they don't keep the new shape for long (so you are stuck with whatever comes out of the box).

2- The quality of the investigator sculpts is horrible. They look nothing like the top notch card art.

3- They don't fit the bases 99% of the time and need to be cut down and glued in.

4- They are bigger then they need to be and distract from gorgeous tile art.

5- There is no way to effectively store them in the box without risking significant damage to them.

For 100$ I'd have been happier with really nice standees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I would agree with the bases, but they are kind of a standard in the game now.

As for using the tiles, for me that's a no way! To me MoM is the mini's. I actually bought the 1st ed. game simply for the mini's to use in Elder Sign and Eldridge Horror. I painted them up when I got them, but I have never played the original game, just use the mini's in the other Lovecraft games.
I also feel the same about standies. The only game I have ever bought, that had them is "King of Tokyo" and I am attempting to replace those with clay figures. To me standies are the ultimate in cheap game. It's like "we didn't figure this game would sell so we didn't want to waste money on decent mini's so here are some paper dolls to play with." The least they could do is give you some clothing sheets to cut out and hang on them to change their outfits and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:

As for using the tiles, for me that's a no way! To me MoM is the mini's. I actually bought the 1st ed. game simply for the mini's to use in Elder Sign and Eldridge Horror. I painted them up when I got them, but I have never played the original game, just use the mini's in the other Lovecraft games.

I think this is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.