6 Posts

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to get WMDs and plot with them ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Hello Gamegeekers,

its my first playthrough and I just aks myself as the Jihadist player the following:

What had to be happen firstly to get a WMD marker as plot opportunity ? I have to install islamic rule in an arsenal country, right ?

and:

How would be the possible sequence/strategy to get a WMD into the US ?

Thanx in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few ways to get a WMD. First, as you say, if you get Pakistan to Islamist Rule, you will gain three of them. In the games where I've seen WMD come into play, this tends to be the most common route. The other three are available via event (Loose Nuke, HEU, and Kazakh Strain) and require a Cell in the indicated countries to make a successful roll.

Getting them into the US isn't easy -- traveling to the US after the Patriot Act requires a slow and predictable march, and once you get a cell there, you need to roll a one to successfully place the plot. Since the US player knows you have WMD, rest assured that disrupting your US-bound cells will be their biggest priority.

This can honestly be better than actually using the WMD. Since they don't know when you're electing to use them (unless they have NEST), any plot placed is a tremendous threat. You can use this to your advantage -- deplete their resources by making them respond to low-level plots while you busy yourself elsewhere. The moment they find themselves holding a hand with no 3-op cards, they're going to be terrified.

As for actually succeeding with a WMD plot in the US, any time I've seen it work (and I have) it's involved a play of Clean Operatives, Martyrdom Operation, or both in a row (pretty close to an instant win if you happen to have two WMD.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
This can honestly be better than actually using the WMD. Since they don't know when you're electing to use them (unless they have NEST), any plot placed is a tremendous threat. You can use this to your advantage -- wait deplete their resources by making them respond to low-level plots while you busy yourself elsewhere. The moment they find themselves holding a hand with no 3-op cards, they're going to be terrified.

...been there↑...soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horst Benatzky
msg tools
Thanx to you all for the good help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also keep in mind that the WMD's purpose is not only for instant-win in the US, but can also be used in Non-Islamist Rule Muslim countries with troops to drop US prestige to 1. This is useful if you are attempting to win by getting 15 Poor Governance countries and US Prestige of 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this works in two stages.

First, you get the US player paranoid that you will shift Pakistan to IR so that he/she focuses on that while you convert eg Indonesia. Then, if you do get Pakistan to IR, he/she then worries about WMDs while you get a victory through a different route.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.