United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, we played 2 games last night. First time for both of us.

Game 1 was a learning game, humans vs machines.

The first turn, we both moved into our adjacent regions with no trogs. We took advantage of the exploration tokens there. Also,we both moved into some regions, fighting against trogs. We won some of those battles, lost some, more than anything, we were experiencing the mechanic. We learned this was not super great because the trog nests began to accumulate on us.

Second turn, the machines built a satellite and dropped a strike on the Humans, and the humans flailed against Trogs again. Humans DID take some prisoners those 2 turns though.

Turn 3 we flailed about some more, moving fighting, getting used to the cards.

Machines made a big move to control territory turn 3, but they did not enable scoring. So, their move earned them very little.

Turn 4, we both started to get used to the game and started to see the strategy. Machines started to make shred drones matter, as well as the bunker. Humans were able to recruit and move to attack large areas.

Turn five sort of fizzled on us but the game ended very closely.

GAME 2

This time, we switched, I played machines and he went to pilgrims. We had discussed the game, we understood more, so we thought we might be able to focus better the second game.

My goal heading into this game was to focus and utilize the machine buildings as best I could.

First move I took control of my adjacent area with no trogs, and also into a center area with a trog party, starting a battle. Next action was a build, making an orbital and an shred drone, which I also used against the Pilgrim and Trogs I had activated.

Pilgrims had moved the edge of the map, taking a territory, but running into a trog party of 3 and getting mauled by a reverse order battle tactics card.

Next turn, I built a factory which promptly reinforced, shredded, dropped an orbital strike. The machines were now rolling.

Of course, I had very few points. I then moved again, this time to the spot adjacent to the enemy HQ. Pilgrims moved to battle, but my last action was to build another drone use my moving city to get my other drone lined up, and then I shredded with both. I also added a troop.

The number of wrenches I was able to drop each build was pretty big and the casualties the shred drones inflicted were substantial. The pilgrims tried to teleport and flank, but the shred drones combined with the move city skill were able to inflict large damage. Machines also captured a pilgrim building.

By turn 4, machines had complete control of one side of the board. The pilgrims tried to enable scoring to move way ahead as machines had very few points. Machines again used their buildings kill as many pilgrims as possible.

Turn five saw the machines inflict damage again with their buildings. Then the machines marched into 2 additional territories. This move also captured pilgrim buildings.

The final scoring saw the machines surge ahead with 7 territories and many crystals. Pilgrims had been stymied at virtually every turn by the damage inflicted turn after turn by the machines, and machines just barely won.

Machines never recruited, only used the build to produce units, or battle actions.

All that said, the Machines only won by 2. If they could have used an enable scoring in turn 4, it would have been a larger margin. Machines made a bad decision and used that card for a wrench... dumb move.

I wonder if others have used the combination of he Moving City and Shred drones to dominate the map? Pilgrims just suffered too many casualties and could not stand in battle as as result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4 player game yesterday. I was the Machines, came in 2nd place. I was in last place for the first 3 rounds and pulled into first place on round 4. I used Moving City and Shred Drones pretty effectively, I think. Unfortunately, the random elements of the game (which events showed up when and the Trog War Party tokens) seemed to not favor me. If I had better luck there, I may have won the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you. That said, I think this is a very tight game, and the perfect timing of Enable Scoring is critical.

The Trog stuff can matter, but timing a big move WITH enable scoring is the difference making move in the game.

Those are key moves in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't have my game for a while yet. Do different factions' cards seem reasonably balanced, since they must be very different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after 2 plays, I tentatively say yes.

I felt machines were very strong in a 2p game, but many threads talk about their weakness in 3/4p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.