GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,876 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Hit Z Road» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dice Resolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mason

North Wales
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably an obvious answer, but as you are resolving the dice rolls for melee combat, if a "kill" is rolled that kills the last zombie, then do the remaining die faces matter (such as the "death/wound" symbol)? For example, I roll 5 dice for me and four other survivors against a lone zombie. I get one target "kill" symbol and 4 "death/wound" symbols. Did the zombie get killed before being able to affect the survivors or did the zombie affect 4 survivors before being killed? We've played it both ways where the remaining die are resolved and where the remaining die are not resolved. It seems like the former is the answer, but just checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
canadarocks wrote:
Probably an obvious answer, but as you are resolving the dice rolls for melee combat, if a "kill" is rolled that kills the last zombie, then do the remaining die faces matter (such as the "death/wound" symbol)? For example, I roll 5 dice for me and four other survivors against a lone zombie. I get one target "kill" symbol and 4 "death/wound" symbols. Did the zombie get killed before being able to affect the survivors or did the zombie affect 4 survivors before being killed? We've played it both ways where the remaining die are resolved and where the remaining die are not resolved. It seems like the former is the answer, but just checking.

You resolve all dice. The rules don't let you back out because you have more kills than zombies.

Melee is meant to be ugly and actually becomes more dangerous the more survivors you have (because of the greater risk of losing them). That may not make prefect sense. But it is encouraging you to spend bullets to shoot more at range where Survivors are safe, to spend adrenaline to kill the zombies when you have the chance, or just spend adrenaline to save survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
canadarocks wrote:
There's no "order" of resolution of the dice (in the rules), each and every roll is resolved during a melee attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mason

North Wales
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I thought. Thanks for the quick responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hongky Anggoro
Indonesia
Surakarta
Central Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for me, as I played this game, I resolved melee dice as follow:
1. Target (kill), kill as many zombies as this dice.
2. Target with adrenaline icon (kill as many zombies as the dice, if sum of these dice is greater or same as the remaining zombies, than I don't spend adrenaline at all, if not then I have to spend 1 or more adrenaline to kill bonus zombies).
3. Adrenaline dice. If by any chance you lack of target dice (or target with lightning bolt), and there're zombies left but you have adrenaline icon dice, then spend as many adrenaline token as the adrenaline dice to kill that many zombies.
4. Last, if your roll is so bad that you still have zombies left and the remaining dice unresolved are casualty icon with lightning bolt, then spend adrenaline token to save your survivor and discard zombies meeple as many as token you used.
5. Blank dice means you dodge, so nothing happen, if you resolved all dice except this blank and there're still zombies left, then discard as many zombies as the blank dice, and if there're still zombies left, you lose your survivor as many as zombies left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this an official reply? I think it is right that all dice are played, in that rules do not specify otherwise.

We have always played it that if you kill the zombies you do not lose any survivors. I find it would be a very tough game without doing that. I don't know how possible it would to make it to the end killing that many survivors, in all the games I have played - about 8 - very few players make it to the end, usually it is last man standing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
In the rule book, on the page where it explains what each die face means the last line before explaining the die faces it says to some degree “each result resolves as follows”

Then the first die face is the skull with the adrenaline. To my understanding I means that the order of resolution is how it is listed on the page. That’s the way I’ve always played it and it adds to the risk taking in the game since fights can potentially lose you survivors or adrenaline based on that skull symbol showing up even ifve rolled multiple hits.

But that is how I understood it when I first read the rules and usually many games will list resolution order in like manner. But yes while the rule book is not bad (I’ve read worse) it could do with being a little better on the specifics and examples department.

But that’s where House ruling comes in.

I would recommend playing it that when the skull faces come up they ya e to be resolved first, then all the others. Makes the game very risky and pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Kempinski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We play it that you must resolve the rolls in the order they appear in the rulebook. That way, even if you roll four targets and one skull you still may lose a survivor while killing the remaining zombies. We only have a few plays under our belt and using this method have yet to clear the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.