17 Posts

Dominion: Intrigue» Forums » Strategy

Subject: We cant beat big money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
My English is poor sorry for that.
We (my wife and I) have bought dominion Intrigue.
We still love the game but we have a little problem.
The player that choose the big-money strategy always wins.
We have try't to play the swindler and the sabotage but thats only slows down the game a bit. And the money player still won that game. Anyone can get us a tip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joewtwins
United States
Ankeny
IA
flag msg tools
because it's all I ever wanted to be..
badge
Cloning gamers since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
Play big money + one action card.

That is how we beat it 9 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:

If your one action card is Steward, you really can't go wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Thanks so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
ousgg wrote:
jcaraway wrote:

If your one action card is Steward, you really can't go wrong

Thanks but steward is not in the intrige right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geurt wrote:
Thanks but steward is not in the intrige right?

[geekurl=http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Steward]Steward is in Intrigue[/geekurl] and it's a quintessential Intrigue card as well: offering a choice when you play the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:

I bought a treasure map ... did not help me win ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
jcaraway wrote:

Definitely not Intrigue. Your argument is invalid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
MunchWolf wrote:
jcaraway wrote:

Different game .. bought Golem ... also turned out badly ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
ousgg wrote:
MunchWolf wrote:
jcaraway wrote:

Different game .. bought Golem ... also turned out badly ...

Ok, I know .. I'm being silly. I agree the best way to beat big money is big money + 1 action card, and it works for 90% of the cards, but it doesn't work for others.

Village is a card that by itself doesn't add/subtract from big money (I know, not intrigue) ...

So let's look at Intrigue cards ...

Courtyard - awesome, let's you put back extra coins you won't spend, but gains you 2 more cards this turn
Pawn - not as strong, as you would only select from 3 of the options, but still gives you some flexibility (especially in a game with few buys)
Secret Chamber - effectively turns your victory cards into coppers, and gives you some defense in hand attacks
Great Hall - Just 1 doesn't add much except 1 vp, but it also doesn't detract as it replaces itself
Masquerade - Gives you 2 cards and a way to trash coppers ... awesome for Big Money
Shanty Town - gives you 2 cards (since you have no actions) ... it's eh, but doesn't hurt
Steward - let's you do a whole bunch of stuff. Don't underestimate it for trashing early game
Swindler - gives you 2 money, and hurts other players .. cool
Wishing Well - replaces itself, and potentially gets you another card ... eh
Conspirator - only really works with lots of actions, but it at least gives you +2 coin, so it is like a silver (so it doesn't actually add value to this strategy)

... eh, ok too lazy to go through the rest, but they all seem good as a single action (even mining village, as you can trash it for a one time +2 coin bonus)... if you are going to only do one action just pick what you feel is the best one .. one that gives you the most stuff (cards, or trashing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trap for new players is they see all the cool actions and want them all ... and then they can't do anything (or they can play a whole bunch of cards, and yet net very little coin) ... you need to find the right balance between actions purchased and coins

general rule ... any action that gives at least +1 card AND +1 action is a safe buy to buy as many as you want. Any card that just gives +1 (or more) actions is an ok buy, but you will also want cards that give you more cards. Any card that does not give you an action you want to be sparingly in buying, as those are terminal cards, which make the rest of the actions in your hand worthless. Any of the villages are nice, as they let you play two terminal cards (but you have to have drawn all three cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigger money beats big money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Thanks a lot for your answers and tips.
Special thanks to Kirk Monsen for the large answer.
We gonna give it a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Currington
msg tools
mb
Hi, just been reading this thread as we've had similar... issues

We normally play a three-player game - myself, my wife and my son. My wife and I like to use a variety of action cards, especially when we're playing with a new expansion; but my son can usually only see dollar sings and so goes big money every time, deviating from this strategy to buy at most a couple of attack cards (he's vicious, bless him ).

We've played a few games with Intrigue, and as with our other sets (basic, Prosperity and Adventures) my son wins 90% of these games. Now, I understand that big money is a solid strategy. I also understand that buying too many action cards is not a good idea, especially if they don't synergise. So in that respect, both me and my wife need to reign in our excesses.

However, it does seem to invalidate the principle of having ten action cards available if the best way to counter big money is, as suggested in this thread, to buy ONE action card. I don't want my plays to be limited to one and only one meaningful decision through the entire game (apart from deciding which coins or victory cards to buy). I want a bit more variety!

Is it really the case that one action card is the optimum purchase?

And to digress slightly, has anyone considered house rules that limit big money strategies? Such as requiring players to alternate their purchases between treasure/victory and action cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norton Canes wrote:
However, it does seem to invalidate the principle of having ten action cards available if the best way to counter big money is, as suggested in this thread, to buy ONE action card. I don't want my plays to be limited to one and only one meaningful decision through the entire game (apart from deciding which coins or victory cards to buy). I want a bit more variety!

No, definitely not. That idea started out as a "Well, clearly this is better than buying just Treasures" thought process. But then some people started actually suggesting that you play that way, which is of course a terrible idea; it's super boring.

The number of boards where buying a single Action card is the best strategy is vanishingly small, especially if you have Seaside and Prosperity in the mix. I'm sorry that you and your wife keep losing to a Treasure-centric strategy, but uh good luck? Make sure your son isn't the only one buying Attack cards, that's one big tip. They tend to be strong. Don't buy too many terminal Actions (ones without at least +1 Action) unless you're also getting villages (cards with at least +2 Actions). Generally you shouldn't buy villages on your first two turns, though. You should be using those turns to get cards that can help you reach $5 hands (Silver or any Action cards that give +$), cards that trash bad cards from your deck (Chapel, Salvager, Loan, etc.), or cards that give other players bad cards (Sea Hag, Swindler, etc.).

And not to be a shill, but if you enjoy the game I strongly recommend getting the Dominion 2nd Edition Update Pack (assuming your base game isn't already 2nd Edition). It replaces six weak Action cards in the base set (Chancellor, Woodcutter, Feast, Spy, Thief, Adventurer) with seven stronger ones, which should help make Treasure-only decks far less attractive in base-set games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Currington
msg tools
mb
Hi Matt, thanks for the tips.

I see what you mean about attack cards, with Intrigue Torturer in particular seems pretty punishing. In the last game we played I tried to counter it with a couple of Diplomats but I forgot the +2 actions on a reduced hand ability... it helps if I read the card text properly. Won't overlook that one again.

And generally, playing with any of the sets I can see how vital it is to choose two good opening cards, because to fall behind at the start often means a hopeless catch-up.

I'll take your advice on board and go for the jugular next time.

We've got Intrigue second edition but I will buy the basic set second edition update pack at some time in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norton Canes wrote:

The idea behind big money + one card is that it is not a meaningful decision. Buy ANY action card ... make it totally random, and big money + one card should beat big money.

This is not the optimal play though. Guess what beats big money + one card?

Big money + TWO action cards, as long as no more than one is a terminal card ...

The strategy is limiting your terminal card purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.