Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I just started to make my first solitaire steps in PG. For this I set up the Rossbach battle scenario. In doing so, I was a bit puzzled by the Prussian Combat Effectiveness Markers:

There are CEM's for Basic Inf and Basic Cav group, as well as for the Seydlitz and Moritz special groups. But then there is also a Frederick CEM. What is this for? Which wings would be affected by this CE value?

Many thanks,

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin,
The rules do cover the overall commander's CEM, but essentially if Fred is stacked with a leader who fails his CE roll, you can subtitute Fred's roll to activate the command. Or something like that. Without the rules on me, I'm afraid my answer is vague and probably missing something. But at least you know where to look now, right?
-Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your fast reply, Silent Dibs. I had a look into the rules and I think, the CEM of Frederik is not used in this way. The rule you mean is basically, that when a group gets a degraded CE, a special leader is able to try to promote one wing of this group to effective CE, if it is his own wing or if he is stacked with the wing's leader. However, in order to save the day for the respective wing, the special leader has to roll against his Initiative value. For Frederick, the Initiative is 5 which coincides with the number on his CEM, so maybe you are right and this CEM is somehow meant to represent the state of of the one saved wing. on the other hand, the rules state that if a wing's CE is improved this way, it should be moved first in order to avoid confusion over the different movement allowance for this wing. This does not sound like there would be a special marker to, well, mark which wing gets an effective CE due to a special leader. I am still puzzled.

Thinking more about it, I am even a bit more puzzled: In Rossbach, Seydlitz is a special leader for cavalry. The only Prussian cavalry wing is his own which is also a special group on its own. Does this mean that Seydlitz simply gets two CE-rolls for his wing/group?

I wished the rules would be a bit clearer on this points...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now at home with my own copy of the rules (actually the "reorganized" rules from PG2). It is clear to me that Fred's CEM is in fact meant to represent the use of his Initiative to fully activate one degraded wing. All the CEMs are useful only as reminders of the current state of a particular group.
As for using Seydlitz in Rossbach; yes, basically he gives you two chances to activate the cavalry. You'll find that makes the Prussian cavalry especially effective in this scenario...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks a lot, I see you're right. Looking again into the scenario description for Rossbach, it turns out that the Prussians do not have a specific group at all there. I was obviously confused by the CEM's for the special leaders which are not mentioned in the rules (PG-1, 1st and 2nd ed.) and simply took every CEM as indicator for a specific group. -- Clearly a mistake.

The reminder CEMs for the special leaders are quite useful, only that the rules are worded in a way that suggests that there would be no such thing.

However, seems to be a nice and not too complicated game. Looking forward to give it a few more tries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
I must admit i've never really grasped the command system in this game - it seems murky at the best of times. Do the commanders plus numbers add to a unit's combat points too. i think it is suggested in PG but PGII says not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Kalucza
Sweden
Umea
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just set up the Rossbach scenario aswell, and also having trouble with the activation system. Do i roll for all the groups in the prussian army? So do i roll for both Moritz and the Infantry Group? Because on my first roll i rolled effective for the infantry but degraded for Moritz. If i have understood correctly though i wouldn't even need to roll for Moritz, since the infantry in his wing are already activated by rolling for the infantry?
Also the French/Empire army has a cavalry group marker, but there are no wings with only cavalry in them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Kalucza
Sweden
Umea
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, i just found the French Cavalry only wing, so that question is no more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general comment, it really is useful to have the series rules from Prussia's Glory II to play this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm just about to tackle my first solo playthrough of Rossbach battle scenario. Thankfully that allows me to skip the activation rules. I've got the II series rules.

My understanding of the Effectiveness markers is to show if a group is degraded after you make a failed Command Rating roll.

I have no idea what the 6 (or 4-6 for Moritz) on the degraded sides refer to.

At the start of the battle scenario, the Frederick marker (requiring a roll 1-5) applies to the whole infantry group from xx06-xx14. The Seydlitz marker applies to the cavalry group. Those 2 leaders can command everyone. The other markers are only needed if you split off a third group with Moritz or the other leader, correct?

The terminology of groups and wings and how those are assigned to individual leaders is particularly confusing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Silverscythe wrote:
Oh, i just found the French Cavalry only wing, so that question is no more :)

Yeah, I see those by Reichardtswerben.

But what about the 2 groups with St Germain and Von Loudan? Do you only need to make 1 command rating roll for them, even if they are under 2 different leaders' command?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.