9 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cheese wheel/surge question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Taube
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are at the end of chapter 6 and used the horn to summon the attack. During this special attack we filled up the cheese wheel. Do we immediately do the appropriate actions of completing the surge then complete the rest of the barksburg attacks, or do we continue attacking and complete the surge actions after all attacks are complete and the three cheeses are added?

Another way to ask would be, can you effectively fill the surge wheel twice during an attack?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I don't fully understand the situation you're exposing, but maybe it can help that cheese is immediatly added to the cheese wheel and, if it fills, immediatly triggers the effects: a Surge if it's the first time in the tile and moving the time marker up one chapter.

After that happens, do the previous actions go on.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Brett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind though, the dice rolls for the Barksburg attackers don't add cheese to the wheel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal is correct: you add cheese immediately, and you do all the surge effects immediately.
You pause everything you were doing, in order to do these things first.

If the cheese wheel would fill up with surplus cheese in one go, you ignore the rest, so if there's 5 pieces there already and an enemy rolls 3 cheese, you just add the 1, do the surge and ignore the other 2.

However,
saviodo wrote:
can you effectively fill the surge wheel twice during an attack?

Yes you can, if you attack multiple enemies at once.
Say for instance you try to Chain Lightning a spider, a centipede and a lv.3 Molox (from Downwood Tales), they all defend seperately.

So the first one could fill the wheel, triggering a surge, then the other two defense rolls could end up filling it again (triggering another surge, this time only moving the hourglass marker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:

If the cheese wheel would fill up with surplus cheese in one go, you ignore the rest, so if there's 5 pieces there already and an enemy rolls 3 cheese, you just add the 1, do the surge and ignore the other 2.

Is that so?
I'll have to look at the rules, but I've always played so that the surplus is kept on the cheesewheel.
Would make things a little bit easier. Considering that most our mission failures are due to the hourglass hitting The End marker, it would be a welcomed help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taube
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would have to look at the rules but I agree the barksburg "attackers" don't add but the defenders do.

I asked the designer Jerry on Twitter and his reply was to wait until the entire attack ends. I wonder if this judgement is different in the one time situation because if you use the horn immediately then you are effectively attacking 14 times I believe, with 14 defenses. I have always played it otherwise as everyone has played it, pause the attack or defense and add the cheese complete the surge and then resume the attack or defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taube
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think maybe if I was playing it with someone older than my 6 year old we might have been more hard core and played that to exactly like the rules. But we have moved on and are halfway through chapter 8.

Slightly divergent side note, anyone recommend Arcadia quest with kids? We have heart of glorm and downward tales to complete but eventually we will be ready for more adventuring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falenthal wrote:
Teeka wrote:

Is that so?

Yup. From the rulebook:

"When the minion cheese wheel fills up with 6 or more cheese tokens, a surge triggers.
After resolving the surge, remove all cheese from the minion cheese wheel."

I'm happy this came up. I'm working on houserules to make the game more of a challenge without changing the overall gameplay too much, and leaving surplus cheese on the wheel could be a cool addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
From the rulebook:

"When the minion cheese wheel fills up with 6 or more cheese tokens, a surge triggers.
After resolving the surge, remove all cheese from the minion cheese wheel."

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.