$15.00
$5.00
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I started a thread about apps for board games and many responses were great and insightful but a handful of replies seemed to indicate, to me at least, that it wouldn't matter how well the app was designed to enhance the game experience they just wouldn't even try it/ give it a chance solely based on that it had an app.

I remember thinking a few years ago that because there were games based off of HP Lovecraft's monsters (btw, today Aug. 20, is his birthday) like Elder Sign, Arkham Horror et al, that I would NEVER play those games or those type of horror games. I would stumble across an article or blog or video about those games and I would just keep passing it up, I like Tom Vasel but I remember thinking to myself when I ran across his review of Eldritch Horror that I wouldn't give it the time of day simply because it was a horror game, to me those games were NOT going to be my cup of tea, ever!

Why? Because I had a predisposition towards the horror genre so they were out of the question. Fast forward to this year, I'm all about FFG's Arkham Files game line. For whatever reason I watched the girls from Starlit Citadel do a review of Elder Sign and fell in love with the custom dice which eventually lead me to being more open minded about looking at Eldritch Horror and now I'm willing to try any horror game.

I still have a bit more to grow, currently games like Blood Rage or Descent are on my list of, "I ain't even gonna try it!" Lol, too bad for me because I already know those are great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never consider Lovecraftian games. Is it because I'm closed-minded, with a bias against something I've never tried? Yes. But it's a necessary and useful bias. It is based on how well I know my own tastes and also on the fact that I already own far more games than I am ever likely to play in my lifetime.

At this stage in my gaming career, I will get far more utility out of reasons NOT to try new games than reasons to try a game about which I have even the slightest bit of doubt. Am I likely to miss out on some good games? Of course. But is that a bad thing? In a world where resources are finite, I say no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. I am willing to try any game, even though I have already played more than 200 various games so I do know my tastes. However, that doesn't mean I can't be surprised (like I was with Five Tribes which was a game that had everything I don't like about games and now is in my top 10). The only games I refuse to play are games I already played and hated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I still have a bit more to grow, currently games like Blood Rage or Descent are on my list of, "I ain't even gonna try it!" Lol, too bad for me because I already know those are great games.

I can't fathom why you would not even try games that you know to be great, unless you find something repulsive or offensive about their theme or artwork.

Personally, I wouldn't call it "predisposition", but I know my tastes. For example, I have never played and will never play a true wargame (of the hex-and-counter type), because I dislike the usual themes, the complexity, the fiddliness, the ugliness and the poor quality of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I make it a point to play as many kinds of games as I can, especially since I'm a designer. However, I think it makes complete sense for people to stick to games within a genre they know they'll like. I just can't ever see myself being that way personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Preference for swords/sorcery and medieval settings (King Arthur, Middle Earth, Wars of the Roses, etc.) although I have a variety of games. I tend avoid settings with zombies, Lovecraft, werewolves, space aliens, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

I can't fathom why you would not even try games that you know to be great, unless you find something repulsive or offensive about their theme or artwork.

?? I have no qualms at all in deciding that certain games proclaimed as "great" around here are not greatly suited to me. My time is better spent elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I have to agree with Cool User on this one. There are many games I decide not to seek to play because of theme... horror, zombies, vampires and general glorification of evil being just some themes I know I am not going to generally like ... but which I have ended up playing because I cared about the PEOPLE wanting me to play with them.

In each and every case while I enjoyed the time spent with the people I cared about and therefore even had subjective "fun" playing the game... I never walked away thinking, wow I was WRONG about how I expected to feel about the game. Even with good mechanics and balanced game play in the end I didn't enjoy the game as much as I would have enjoyed playing other games and have never felt a desire to seek to play those games in general again. I would happily play them again with PEOPLE I loved and wanted to play with who like those games, but the games themselves were not particularly enjoyable to me because I couldn't really immerse myself in the theme.

Themes are part of what help me feel immersed into a game. A theme I don't enjoy detracts from my enjoyment of the game itself.

At the end of playing something like Through the Ages, win or lose, I feel satisfaction at having built an interesting "Civilization", at the end of playing Chaos in the Old World I feel almost relieved if I lose because it means I didn't facilitate and usher more evil into the world we are pretending to be a part of.

Similarly even though I love playing Shadows over Camelot, I hate being the traitor. I hate it so much that again if I lose (aka the Knights win) I am often happier than I would have been if I won because I as an individual really WANT the knights to WIN*.

Yes I know it is pretend and I don't think people who do enjoy those themes or like playing the bad guy in games are bad people; I just don't enjoy them myself and feel no need to work on trying to make myself feel otherwise. There are already a thousand games I do enjoy playing and more come out every year.

*Funny personal story... at a Convention once, back when Shadows over Camelot was fairly new but I had played it several times personally, I "Won" as the traitor in a very tight game having never been revealed as the traitor during game play. The people at the table who I beat were stunned at the end to learn I was the traitor and thought I had played a brilliant game. So much so that the next year at that same convention as I got into an elevator one guy said HEY... I know you, you are that TRAITOR... what a well played game I cannot believe you got us at the very end!! But the truth was the whole game I was playing to help them WIN because I really DETESTED being the traitor, espeically with new people who hadn't played before... so that it ended up so tight a game that my being unrevealed meant they lost by the flipping of swords at the end was just the way it went down... not because I had been brilliantly undercutting them in ways they hadn't noticed.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything with a high level of politics and negotiation has my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

If it has wooden bits and a dead white guy on the cover, I'm gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love adventure themes, and horror so usually move towards those. I also tend to like objectives (to win you must do x) in games rather than "in this game the winner is the person who gets the most points.
Games where the action is all about the psychology of the people also interest me a lot, Party games and Social Deduction.

I usually avoid themes where wine, beer, etc is involved as a main part. Also constructing cars and business simulations are a turn off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
msg tools
This is one of those areas where I think people take game theme far too seriously or at least in a way that I don't think I ever could.

Are there themes that would interest me more than others? Sure. Are there themes that I might shy away from given everything else being equal? Sure. But I could never imagine not trying a game that seems to have lot's of styles and things that I would normally like simply because of theme unless that theme was something completely tasteless or morally beyond my comfort level. It's a game. You don't have to live it.

For something more immersive like a multi-player, long mission computer/video game that might be different. That might also be different for role playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

If it has wooden bits and a dead white guy on the cover, I'm gone.
Yeah, I don't care for zombie games either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a predisposition to mechanics, like many people. I don't enjoy games with a lot of 'take that' mechanics. Similar to you, I don't tend to play games like Blood Rage because of the fickle game state and powerful cards. I'm more of a euro gamer, and predisposed to like games that involve cube-pushing.

If I lose, I want it to be my fault, instead of blaming a deck of cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my predisposition is a bit different than ones mentioned above. For me, I'm willing to play most any game, but I won't necessarily buy it just because I liked it.

I have played Xcom (the global defense coop game with an app, right?...I've only played it a couple times...I forget). It was fine, and had a good time with the group. I would not buy it. Don't want to deal with the app.

I've also played...Elder Sign...I think it was. Again, had a good time with the group, but would not buy it. Just not my thing to have in my collection.

In both cases, I'd be willing to play them again, I just would not buy them.

I also agree with the above post that said the predisposition is also a reason to limit spending. I have enough games that have yet to see the gaming table, and several more that have seen it only 1-2 times. No need to add salt to the wound. Plus, if others in my gaming group own them, I don't see a need to own a copy of certain titles myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use a cell phone/smart phone/etc. So I'm not interested in any game that requires an app. Even if I were playing at a table with others and could use their smart phones, I wouldn't know what to do with one.

I love computers, but I'm a luddite about most other tech toys. If it was good enough for grandma, it's good enough for me. Goes for foods too: nothing (except ice cream) from the freezer cases.

There are certain themes I don't like, but that wasn't how this thread was begun, so I'll skip that part of my response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
?? I have no qualms at all in deciding that certain games proclaimed as "great" around here are not greatly suited to me.

Neither do I, but there is a huge difference between acknowledging that a game is considered great by a lot of people and saying that you know it is great. The latter indicates that you share that opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anything with zombies in it is a pass for me.

I never liked zombies. They are just kind of meh. They just never clicked for me and I couldn't imagine something less interesting than a zombie. I felt this way before Walking Dead and the whole modern obsession.

Apologies to all zombiephiles and those who enjoy zombieness.

*I thought the original Night of the Living Dead was the best portrayal of zombies, but I've only had minimal exposure to the genre due to my indifference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will play anything, pretty much and there are certain genres I prefer like cowboy or mech or weird sports. But I am weirdly drawn to games with odd themes like Patchwork, Psycho Raiders, Brew Crafters, Prospectus or Hostage Negotiator. When I walk into a game store or browse online and see the normal stuff like sci-fi games, zombie games and war games it is cool but when I catch a glimpse of a game about whaling in New England, that brings me in. I need to know more about it, usually it ends up being worker placement or a cube pusher or something like that but a different theme really makes me take a closer look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.