BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game with lots of monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Hundreds of different monsters, sorta like Thunderstone Advance (but that is too expensive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without any additional information, Magic: The Gathering would be the obvious choice.
Does it have to be hundreds+? There's plenty of games with a ton of monsters, just that multiple hundreds is a lot. Based on needing hundreds or more, I'm assuming you're only looking for card games (cuz I really doubt there's any proper boardgames with that many).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Im looking for a game that comes in boards. No mtg or yugioh, etc. Similar games to thunderstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan, the Monster Slugathon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
The only game I can think of with hunderds of different monsters is Dungeon & Dragons Miniature Skirmish Game. (DDM for short). But if you consider Thunderstone too expensive, than DDM is also too expensive. Not the game itself; the rules are freely downloadable from the DDM guild, but the miniatures. Also several of the maps are OOP and quite expensive.

Titan has hunderds of monsters, but not hunderds of different monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone is a card game, so I'm not sure what you're looking for. A tactical/skirmish RPG might be your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi McBryde
United States
Neosho
MO
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check out Project: ELITE. Not "monsters" per se. Aliens actually. However, the base game comes with 74 alien miniatures in 17 different varieties. The expansions increase that number considerably.

During the game, there are usually 20+ alien miniatures on the board at any given time with waves of new ones spawning all the time. Lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donlyn wrote:
Titan, the Monster Slugathon

Titan was the first game I thought of as well.

Alternative I can think of are Kings & Things:

or Wizard Kings, at least for some armies:

or, maybe The Beastlord. If you buy a copy of Beastlord, I'd suggest buying a copy with the revised rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite certainly not what you mean, but it's the only time I'll be able to recommend it.

Monster Factory

A different type of monster in Pokémon Trading Card Game, but it certainly hits the hundreds criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror with expansions this has quite a few. Not a card game though. However Fantasy Flight has just announced the Arkham LCG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huw
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a board game but lots of monsters

Mage Tower, A Tower Defense Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game, if you are willing to stretch the definition of 'monster' to dinosaurs.

Fireteam Zero has never ending waves of monsters, but little variety - at least until the expansions and Kickstarter content is released. This should be happening soon (fingers crossed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic realm has lots of monsters:
2 Heavy flying dragons
2 vipers
6 wolves
2 Giants
3 Heavy Spiders
6 Giant Bats
1 Heavy Dragon
2 Tremendous dragons
2 Heavy Serpents
1 Tremendous Serpent
18 goblins
2 Heavy Trolls
2 Tremendous trolls
1 tremendous flying dragon
1 demon
1 flying demon
1 octopus
1 tremendous spider
1 imp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cole
United Kingdom
Cottenham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
Interpreting this requirement as "a thematic game with a lot of variability but not Thunderstone".

You don't say whether you prefer co-op or competitive, no of players etc.

For maximum variety for your money, card games are going to be the best value. Now that Thunderstone is defunct, you could look at other fantasy desk-builders like Ascension, Legendary - Marvel, or even the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Maybe WarHammer Quest Adventure Card Game

Outside of card games, both Descent 2ed Ed has lots of monsters but to get all the expansions could be pricey if you really want to hit the "hundreds of monsters" level. Other possibilities could be Runebound or even Talisman.

If you can count Aliens as monsters and you have a regular group to play competitively with, Cosmic Encounter could be all you'll ever need (50 Aliens in the base box and another 100+ or so in expansions).

Or just play D&D 5th Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.